ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-28-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
ultralexy

Vista Sidebar

The Windows Sidebar is a panel on the side of your screen that will be home for things like Desktop Gadgets, RSS feeds and other Internet driven applications. Itís fully customizable and may be docked, or kept on top of the desktop. Though the Windows Sidebar has been previewed in some builds, at this time, itís undergoing development, so we havenít seen its full capability just yet. And as with Desktop Gadgets, the Windows Sidebar will be available for Windows XP as well.

More to come on this feature when we know more.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-28-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
W.Harbaugh

I don't think it's much of a feature...Google Desktop does most of that and I still find it to be a large annoyance to me it makes the screen flicker when I game, it shows me things I don't want to see etc. etc...
Old 05-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
triumph

Does anyone know if it will disappear and then you can bring it up by mousing off the side of the screen? I don't really want it up all the time, but I want to be able to access it quickly when needed.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
W.Harbaugh

It will undoubtedly do that, Microsoft would be stupid(er) to not do that..if they don't someone will release a plugin for it or microsoft will with in the first month.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
dazzlin
Elite Members

Windows Vista Sidebar is a panel on the side of the Windows Vista desktop that organizes gadgets and makes them easy to access. Windows Sidebar is the perfect complement to widescreen monitors and also works seamlessly on standard displays. You can easily customize Windows Sidebar to suit how you want to interact with it - whether you want it always on top or resting below maximized windows. You can also move gadgets off the Windows Sidebar and place them anywhere on your desktop.

There are also hacks to allow XP to use Vista Sidebar right now, so if you really want it on your XP box, you can make that happen. You have to jump through a few hoops, though. Just google vista sidebar and you'll find several explanations.
forum or check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. [/B][/COLOR]
Old 06-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
W.Harbaugh

Does anyone have any screen shots or videos of the sidebar? I'd love to see what it looks like and how it functions...more curious though is if it's any use....I still use my keyboard to go all the way to the end of a line instead of using "end" just because i have a shortcut doesnt mean I'll use it..
Old 06-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
ninikins

The whole sidebar idea is really not that new like someone in this thread pointed out already...I dont like it with google and of course I will give all the Vista features a try but this one might be toggled 'off' soon...
Old 08-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
crabby
Super Moderator

My sidebar has been ditch and probably wont come back until my next build upgrade just in case its gotten any better

My major issue is the reasources it requires, they are just too high Increases my boot time by more than 6 seconds!! I would prefer it if the sidebar didnt exist and you could place gadgets where you like, which is theoretically possible due to the accelerated nature of the desktop

But even the gadgets are a tad sucky The picture viewer has no purpose, its just there for eye candy. The RMS viewer would be more useful as a task bar icon near the clock which pops up on update. The CPU meter reacts too slowly and doesnt reognise when an AMD coolnquiet chip is 'clocked down'. The recycle bin gadget is unrequired because its easier to put it in the quick toolbar. This leave Notes which is useful but to use it I need the whole sidebar acitvated

My two cents...

crabby
Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
felix8406
ABXpert

What is the Vista Sidebar?

Here's a snapshot of sidebar. It does take a big chunk of memory. U can right click it to close it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (22.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
Znod
ABXpert

OS X has widgets. So, it is obligatory for Vista to have gadgets. Both are a complete waste of time IMO, especially if they get in the way (it's worse in Vista). I turned Sidebar off and will never have a reason to use it.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][/COLOR]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/CENTER]
Old 09-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #11
crabby
Super Moderator

I use multiple screens, so its way off to my left somewhere... oh yeah there it is! The gadgets look the biz, but are still a little slow. I much prefer the gadgets detached, just need a way to get rid of the SIDEBAR!!! (tis empty)

crabby
Old 09-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #12
Znod
ABXpert

Right crabby. Some gadgets could be useful--especially detached. But, there's still the Sidebar to get rid of when using detached gadgets. Bah!

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #13
felix8406
ABXpert

I'm using the sidebar for now to see the benefits. It does provide certain people a quick access to some info. These example are from Microsoft, "If you're working in a file and need to make a few quick calculations, you can use the Calculator gadget without having to open or close any windows on the desktop. Or suppose you're working on a document, and you decide you want to see the latest news headlines. Normally, you would have to stop work on the document, open a new web browser window, find a news website, and then look through the headlines.
U can download other add on gadgets as well, for example the google gadget search box. U can keep ur sidebar on top or behind other windows. Right click an empty space of the sidebar and check or uncheck the button titled "Sidebar is always on top of other windows".
Old 09-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #14
crabby
Super Moderator

Its just the fact that its a sideber that bothers me And the gadgets haven't been coded in binary so aren't overly efficient with resources

crabby
Old 09-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #15
felix8406
ABXpert

Crabby, I understand ur reasoning, but u and I know some people are going to love it, others won't. Hopefully we can provide tips for those who loves it or those who can benefit from it. From what I read, the sidebar was obmitted from Beta 1, but put back on Beta 2 due to popular demand. I don't know if that's that's true or not, but if true, there r some people that really wants it. We'll se what happens when the final version rolls around.