ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-29-2001, 07:25 AM   #1
padron

Redhat 7.1 and CUSL2-C PCI BIOS Settings

I have my CUSL2-C system running just fine under Windows 2000 SP2, but I just picked up a second hard drive, a new IBM DeskStar 20GB drive to add to my system for the purpose of running Redhat Linux 7.1 on the 2nd disk and continue to run Windows 2000 on my first disk.

I don't overclock. All my board BIOS settings are the CUSL2-C "default" settings except for the boot sequence which I have changed it to boot from the CD.

Before I install Linux on my 2nd drive, I'd like to make sure the PCI listings I get when I boot my machine are acceptable PCI IRQ assignments for Linux to run out-of-the-box:

PCI Device Listing...

IDE Controller...................: IRQ 14/15
Serial Bus Controller.........: IRQ 9
Serial Bus Controller : IRQ 10
Serial Bus Controller.........: IRQ 9
Display Controller.............: IRQ 11
Multimedia Device.............: IRQ 9
Inpot Device.....................: IRQ NA
Network Controller...........: IRQ 5

+ As you can see, IRQ 9 is being used by 3 devices: two serial bus controllers and the multimedia device. Is this acceptable under Linux?

+ Should I set the "PoP OS" BIOS settings be "Yes" or "no"?

+ Should I *manually* assign IRQs to my PCI devices based on the slots they are installed in?

Here are my machine specs:

Asus CUSL2-C Intel PIII 1000MHZ
512MB Crucial SDRAM PC133 CAS2
Elsa Gladiac 32MB GeForce2 GTS DDR NV15
IBM 45GB ATA-100 Deskstar 7200 75GXP disk
Plextor 12/10/32A EIDE CD-RW
SB Live! Value OEM
NetGear FA310TX 10/100 PCI NIC
ViewSonic GS790 19'monitor

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

J. Padron
---
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-29-2001, 08:54 AM   #2
cryogen_abx

padron - i have not yet had the opportunity to get linux on my cusl2..dont have the space, or the coin to get more of it
but...
i don't have the specific answers, but my best guess would be pnp os to no..and let the bios assign everything else.
linux is pretty darn smart about assigning resources, so i wouldn't worry about it too much..
i have never had to adjust my bios specifically for linux ever..and i have done just a *few* installs
hth
cryogen
Old 06-29-2001, 02:32 PM   #3
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Let me know if RedHat can use your EIDE CD-RW. SuSE 7.1 has a problem with mine. Might switch to 7.2 anyway.

Note: Make sure to build a Linux Swap partition of 512 Meg to match your RAM.
Old 06-29-2001, 05:41 PM   #4
ShaMan_abx
No Expert - No Guru

Set PnP OS to NO

BOTH the CUSL2 MoBo and the Hat 7.1 OS WILL work fine with each other, right out of the box and using the default settings.

Make sure and Set PnP OS to NO. Otherwsie, kudzu (among other configuration related things) will NOT work properly to configure your peripherals and other important things associated with them.

AFTER you have ALL your peripherals configured and running properly, the OS is running satisfactory and you have a reason to set PnP OS to YES, you may do so, and it will NOT make a difference on most typical systems. However, if you change a peripheral or configuration in the future, make sure and have the setting back to PnP OS NO in the MoBo BIOS, so kudzu will work properly and configure your new changes, etc.

Trust this helps, good luck.
Old 06-29-2001, 06:05 PM   #5
padron

pointreyes, the Redhat install manual says that 128MB is the max swap file size.

J. Padron
Old 07-13-2001, 02:42 PM   #6
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Quote:
Originally posted by padron
pointreyes, the Redhat install manual says that 128MB is the max swap file size.

J. Padron
Interesting. RedHat hasn't provided a GUI installation yet? Based on the manual online, it is suggested to make the swap file as big as the RAM. However, if you are not installing something like CAD or Oracle 9i, you might be ok with 128Meg but I'm surprised with Red Hat again. Makes me happy that I use SuSE.

http://www.redhat.com/support/manual...eate-part.html
Old 07-19-2001, 10:55 AM   #7
letalis_abx

In my expierience swapspace 128M would absolutely be enough unless you plan to do some heavy serverwork.

I have (at the moment) 128M ram and a 260M swap partition of which 1M is currently used (having Xfree 4.1 dualhead + enlightenment, 5 netscape windows, sylpheed gtk mailprog, gkrellm, a coupple of eterms and licq running) i think my maximum peak ever on swap usage is about 40M.

Of course these things can differ from distro to distro but generally 128 should be more than enough.
Old 07-26-2001, 02:02 AM   #8
tpenney

Quote:
Originally posted by pointreyes

Interesting. RedHat hasn't provided a GUI installation yet? Based on the manual online, it is suggested to make the swap file as big as the RAM. However, if you are not installing something like CAD or Oracle 9i, you might be ok with 128Meg but I'm surprised with Red Hat again. Makes me happy that I use SuSE.

http://www.redhat.com/support/manual...eate-part.html
Actually, if your RAM >= 128MB then you will find that you aren't swapping anyhow. My swap file is at 64MB (RAM=128MB), and I've done some pretty hefty stuff with my linux server. Albeit, I've only logged swap activity once......and that was when I was testing my Squid proxy server.