ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-11-2001, 06:50 PM   #1
patentman
Modded Person

Linux? What is like?

Hi all.
I don`t know anything about Linux,can you enlighten me?
Some links with demonstration or analysis would be appreciated.
Of course if possible to the best version-in your opinion-there is.
I`ve heard that software is freeware???

Last edited by patentman; 08-11-2001 at 06:57 PM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-12-2001, 12:31 AM   #2
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Linux, suggestion for learning more about it. Goto the library and check out Running Linux (hopefully your library will have it and it will be the 3rd edition).

There are many Linux 'distros' (not versions). For example: I'm posting this message using Slackware 8.0; however, I also have SuSE 7.1 on my 'puter. Plus, I have three versions of Windows on the 'puter.

Linux is the OS, the 'open source' (not freeware) software is the eye-candy wrapper around the Linux kernel. The kernel is what makes up the OS. What makes Linux so impressive to many people is the misconception that the software is Linux. You get sooooo much (normally for free; however, I felt like I needed to contribute to the community so I have purshased Slack and SuSE for usage on my computer). It is nothing unusal to get at least 500+ software packages on a standard installation of a Linux distro.

Want to see demostrations of the Linux? Do a search on WWW on Linux, you should find plenty.

Recommended distro for 'newbies:' Mandrake - GUI installation that is unbelievably easy - takes two CDs to install, can even repartition the hdd, see a good amount of the hardware. http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en However, your modem must be a controller modem, not a winmodem (controllerless).

Hope I helped you out a little bit and didn't cause more confusion.

I hope other Linux users here can provide you with links. Some of mine are:

www.linuxdoc.org
www.kernel.org
www.slackware.com
www.suse.com
www.linuxnewbie.org
www.slashdot.org
www.sourceforge.net
Old 08-12-2001, 09:50 AM   #3
patentman
Modded Person

Thank you Pointreyes

I`ll check about it.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:51 AM   #4
cryogen_abx

patentman
linux is stable. linux is solid. linux just runs, and does what you tell it to do.
your usage is going to depend on what you want to do with it.
i run redhat 7.1 on 1 of my boxes, and use it as a webserver/database server etc....i do web programming and net playing on it. linux makes an excellent server, or router, in fact, there are version of linux that you can run off a floppy to be a router!
if you are used to winblows, it can take time to get used to tho...things work a little differently. i still end up going back to 2k everynow and then, because some things are harder to do...at least until you figure them out. also, while a lot of games and apps do run on linux, most perform better on win
like pointreyes said, do some surfing, he pointed out some great sites in his post. read, absorb, and learn.
that is the best advice.
asking direct quesions from 'most' die hard linux freaks just gets a rtfm...so make sure you have read as much as possible, and be prepared for some frustration, i always experience some with a linux build.... heheh
cheers
cryogen
Old 08-12-2001, 10:14 AM   #5
patentman
Modded Person

Hi Cryogen
My PC is most used on multimedia applications,in which I believe Linux won`t do.
But I liked the idea of messing a little with it.It doesn`t matter if I get messed up.
I would like to not to be depended on windows and from what I`ve heard Linux time gets closer! So it wouldn`t be a bad idea to have already an idea of it.
How do you think about it? Will sometime Linux be as friendly on applications/available software and drivers as windows?
I`ve heard that is better for web servers but that is not in my interest.
Thanks.
Old 08-13-2001, 12:22 PM   #6
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Quote:
Originally posted by patentman
Hi Cryogen
My PC is most used on multimedia applications,in which I believe Linux won`t do.
The Gimp - check the gimp.

http://www.gimp.org/

Plus, I think that there is a DVD decoder for Linux that you cannot get for Windows.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:05 AM   #7
Tranced_abx
Who, me?

I've just installed RH v7.1 overhere next to WinME... still using Win for browsing @ thsi moment because I'm still have to learn about the how-to connect my modem...

I think it the skin is very similar to Windoze but it's just like a car... it can look nice but what's under the hood is everything that matters! and that is much, no MUCH better according to everything I heard about LINUX
60gb 7200rpm

Server:
Asus S-Presso
P4 2.8/800 HT
512MB DDR400
250GB SATA
Old 08-19-2001, 04:57 PM   #8
letalis_abx

If you get Mandrake or Redhat it is as easy as installing windows, you get a graphical login and lots of fancy stuff.
About "multimedia", what kind of multimedia do you mean?
I use my linuxbox to watch tv (with a tv-card), do graphics, listen to music, rip cd:s to mp3/ogg, record music, watch movies (which i think is the hardest part to get working painlessly yet, but much work is being done).
I guess it cant be much more multimedia.

The only drawback is games, for now.