ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 09-06-2001, 11:40 AM   #46
hnsn82

problem solved gorganzola.
it turns out to be the installer bug. just ignore the warning and mount a / , /boot and make a swap and I able to continue the installation.

but during the installtion lilo installed itself in the mbr , i want it to be in the first sector of the linux partition and boot from disk when i want to go to linux.
do you know how to remove lilo from the mbr and move it to the first sector of the linux partition ??

as i know now i can use fdisk /mbr to wipe out my boot record right ? meaning i will lose my current win 98 and lilo and i can recover the win 98 os by using sys c: from a win98 floppy disk. am i right or i'm totally screwed ??

can you give me detailed step to do the thing i want ???
thanks in advance...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 09-06-2001, 02:46 PM   #47
Gorganzola

FDISK /MBR is the easiest way to remove it. You don't have to worry about the sys c: bit. When you do the FDISK /MBR the proper instructions will be placed in the boot record to boot windows. This is assuming your windows partition was bootable before you installed Linux, which I would bet that it was, so don't worry about the sys c: bit. Once you FDISK /MBR it will be as if you hadn't installed Linux.

If I recall correctly, this may have changed, Redhat had a programme called Kickstart for configuring the machine, including LILO. Try running that from the command prompt while logged in as root.

SuSE has a system configuration utility called YAST and YAST2 (Yet Another Setup Tool).

I wasn't asleep at the switch, I was drunk. -- Homer J. Simpson

Q. How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One.

A very useful tool on these forums:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in public.

Old 09-06-2001, 07:30 PM   #48
ChAsM
Passionately Objective

hello hnsn82

To remove lilo, boot to the command prompt (in linux.) login as root and type: /sbin/lilo -u . Then boot to a windoze boot disk and type sys a: This is a safe and effective way to do it. BUT.......before you do that, make sure you get rid of the linux partitions. I've seen fdisk have trouble with that, too. You can either use linux to do it (if you know what your doing from the command prompt, something like partition magic, or an old win NT utility called delpart.exe - I can e-mail you this if you need it.

That'll take care of lilo. I've seen fdisk /mbr not work on linux partitions before. It'll get rid of lilo, but you risk corrupting your mbr.

GL!!!!!!

-------

Those ITs that fail to board the LINUXBOATS of the USS Winders
are destined to be lost at sea!!!!!

<---ChAsM---<<

Loyalty is an honorable trait. Enmity is disgraceful.
Old 09-06-2001, 10:01 PM   #49
hnsn82

is fdisk /mbr and /sbin/lilo -u has the same result ???
someone over the redhat forums suggested me to do this :
1.fdisk /mbr
2.edit the /etc/lilo.conf ( find this line boot=/dev/foo , and change it the foo with the linux root partition)
3. re- run lilo (/sbin/lilo)

is these steps right or i may say safe ??? i don't want to mess up my win98 nor my partition table or whatever it may be
thanks everybody, you guys the best

regards
hnsn82
Old 09-06-2001, 10:30 PM   #50
Gorganzola

It is safe. I have used fdisk /mbr many times. It is safe and have never had it screw up my boot record. I have been using the switch, which is undocumented, since MS DOS 6.22.

The procedure the person has layed out for you will work without a problem.

A. One.

You can
in public.

Old 09-06-2001, 10:58 PM   #51
hnsn82

Quote:
Originally posted by Gorganzola
It is safe. I have used fdisk /mbr many times. It is safe and have never had it screw up my boot record. I have been using the switch, which is undocumented, since MS DOS 6.22.
what you mean by switch here ... lease explain t to me
thanks
Old 09-07-2001, 04:00 PM   #52
Gorganzola

A switch is a term used to refer to a command line parameter for a programme. The basis behind using the term switch in this manner is the same as any other use. You are switching an option on or off. Something as simple as passing a file name to a programme can be referred to as a switch. Generally, a switch is preceeded by a -, /, or +. The / is the most commonly used in the DOS commands.

So, with the above explanation, the switch I am referrering to is the /mbr switch you would apply to the fdisk programme.

A. One.

You can
in public.