ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

TV as a gaming monitor?

Anyone tried PC desk gaming on a 32" monitor/TV?

I have a 32" 1080p Samsung series 5 LCD with a 5ms refresh rate sitting around doing nothing. My gaming rig is hooked upto a 24" Dell LCD monitor that looks great, but I'm wondering how the larger screen would look.

Bear in mind its a typical desk setup so the screen is no more than arms length away. Anyone tried this? Is it playable or just too big?

As for quality, my understanding is that apart from timing TV's would be as good as a monitor... All things being equal. I assume the TV will downscale higher resolutions unless it supports 1:1 pixel mapping. I dk if this TV does, can only try it. They were an excellent TV a couple years ago, with samsung Crystal Clear and enhanced color logic.

Back in the day there was a huge gap between CRT TV's and proper studio monitors of course, but i dont think there is any such distinction now.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: TV as a gaming monitor?

So, i've done a little research and, IMO, i don't believe there is any quality difference between an LCD TV and an LCD monitor, all things being equal.

Essentially a modern flat screen TV is just a monitor with additional AV and tuner components included.

The only problem is that many TV's have built in filtering logic to try and improve picture quality. That filtering would not be desirable for nice clean and precise computer video. The other issue is resolution, but i believe 1080p will be fine at 32". In fact i expect it will look better than the 24" monitor which is a little too small for 1080p. Sitting so close to 32" may mean i have to move my eyes around a lot more to track stuff, heh.

The TV sports a "gaming" mode which provides 5ms response time and should switch off some of the filtering logic.

I think all i can do is just try it with this particular TV.
Since I'm home sick today with nothing better to do, thats exactly what i will do.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
fvbounty

Having a 32 inch tv with 1080P is going to look blocky compared to a 24 inch monitor with the same resolution...the dot pitch is the number you want to look at!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
chasus

Regarding 'blocky':
I currently have a 27'' 1920x1200 monitor and I do not find it blocky at all while gaming at about 0.6m, when compared with my 24'' 1920x1200 and 30'' 2560x1600 monitors. But this is fairly subjective though.

Let me give you a head start regarding connection:
1. Do not use VGA/D-sub as usually designated for PC connection to a HDTV. This most likely will not give 1080 but gives 1366x768 suboptimal non-native resolution. Rather, use DVI/HDMI connection.
2. When encountering overscan/underscan problem, try to adjust the TV settings to compensate rather than using the PC. The TV should have a 'Overscan Enable/Disable' feature or 'Screen Fit/Just Scan' feature to solve this.

I have a PC connected to a Samsung 55'' 1080p TV. I do not play much games there but when I do, I do not sit close to it, probably at about 2 metres away. At this distance, I do not see 'blocky' pixels. Blocky pixel is a problem for desktop/text work as the fonts are not as sharp/fine. But for gaming, this is quite acceptable to me.
Asus Sabertooth Z87 * Intel i7 4770K * Thermalright Archon SB-E X2 TY-143 * Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 2x8GB* Gigabyte GTX780 Ti OC WF3X * Samsung 840 Pro 256GB * Intel X-25M G2 80GB (x2)* WD Black 2TB * Asus 24D3ST * Corsair AX860i * Banchetto 101 * Dell U3011 * Win 7 Pro x64 * assorted accessories
Old 03-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasus View Post
Regarding 'blocky':
I currently have a 27'' 1920x1200 monitor and I do not find it blocky at all while gaming at about 0.6m, when compared with my 24'' 1920x1200 and 30'' 2560x1600 monitors. But this is fairly subjective though.

1. Do not use VGA/D-sub as usually designated for PC connection to a HDTV. This most likely will not give 1080 but gives 1366x768 suboptimal non-native resolution. Rather, use DVI/HDMI connection.
2. When encountering overscan/underscan problem, try to adjust the TV settings to compensate rather than using the PC. The TV should have a 'Overscan Enable/Disable' feature or 'Screen Fit/Just Scan' feature to solve this.

I have a PC connected to a Samsung 55'' 1080p TV. I do not play much games there but when I do, I do not sit close to it, probably at about 2 metres away. At this distance, I do not see 'blocky' pixels. Blocky pixel is a problem for desktop/text work as the fonts are not as sharp/fine. But for gaming, this is quite acceptable to me.
I guess every time I say something I m wrong so you are the expert with everything . I guarintee your 24 inch monitor is a sharper picture with the same resoulston has your 27 inch at the same resoulston PERIOD! But like you said this is up to the user....there's a reason every company is coming out with 4K monitors and TV.
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fvbounty; 03-10-2014 at 10:47 PM..
Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
Having a 32 inch tv with 1080P is going to look blocky compared to a 24 inch monitor with the same resolution...the dot pitch is the number you want to look at!
You're right, fv, i'd forgotten about that. Unfortunately i cant find any info on dot pitch for the TV. Fwiw, i remember that if i sat more than about 5 feet away from the screen then i missed a lot of detail. Sitting closer revealed more, so possibly it has a fine dot pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasus View Post
Thanks for that, i intend to use the HDMI connection. No need to adjust the nvidia settings other than as a work around.
Im going to set this up shortly, been sleeping...

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

The TV works fine! The extra real estate makes for a nice improvement.
I thought it would be too big, but its very usable. Its a couple inches more than arms length away.
I think the bigger screen improves the immersion. Its not that you see more detail, its just that its larger and more encompassing.

I ran Crysis 3, Far Cry 3 GTA-IV and even Trackmania and there is no lag that i can detect. The only real issue was balancing the TV's gamma/brightness/contrast/backlight and dynamic contrast controls to get it just right. Plenty of brightness, if i want.

Documents are fine, although the TV's sharpness control seems to introduce unwanted artefacts around the edges of text. Its best set to zero.

I guess it can stay on the desk until i need a TV. It may end up in a bedroom, but for now its a nice upgrade.

"You Cannot Hide..."