ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-25-2001, 06:39 PM   #1
rommel

just ordered SuSE 7.1 and am really kinda stoked about it....not that i have a problem with win but just that i think linux is a cool thing....i think this mobo is great...i hope linux is as good or better!!!

(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-27-2001, 03:08 PM   #2
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

I already have it installed on my computer.

However, I had a problem with the kdm.

Had to use YAST1 to finally get KDE to load. However, I can only load KDE as root. As regular user, KDE fails along with all other X Windows managers.

It seen my Radeon and the resolution is astounding! Better than Windows - as usual, XFree appears to make really good stuff for displays.

Did not see my USB Epson printer and I used kernel 2.4.

Automatically set-up the fstab to allow me to mount my NTFS 5.0 partitions!

I was not happy with the YAST2 hard disk installation part - it could have been a little clearer.

Like all three books that come with it.

Overall, I like SuSE but I still seem to prefer Slackware. I'm using the current unstable version of Slack (7.2).

Good luck with the install, Linux is great.
Old 02-27-2001, 05:30 PM   #3
rommel

should get it tomorrow

well i dont expect it to go too smoothly...but i am kinda looking for a bit more to do then just sit and click yes and no...lol
i got into computers when windows was already finishing 95 and going to the first run of 98....so i dont even know dos really...a few commands nessesary to write to a particular drive or to partition a hard drive etc....so it hink linux will be a good learning tool.
Old 02-27-2001, 06:29 PM   #4
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

For ease of installation - using the SB!Live sound card for an example:
1) Mandrake - e.g. sees a SB!Live card automatically and no more settings are required.
2) SuSE - e.g. sees a SB!Live card automatically and more settings (via GUI - a.k.a. the YAST2 interface) are required.

For truly learning as much as possible about Linux:
1) Slackware - e.g. remove the '#' from the emuk01 module from within the file /etc/rc.d/rc.modules. Then as root do 'chmod 666 /dev/dsp /dev/audio'.

For people with T1 or modem connections that will work in Linux:
2) Debian - hated the apt-install so much that I gave up with trying anything with that distro. I must have a modem connection to truly get anything to work properly.

Good luck with the installation. I think we get 60 days free installation support.

I think you made a very good decision.

BTW: Make sure that plug 'n' pray is turned off in the bios.