ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 12-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #106
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Fo4

Well, I hope this doesnt come off as all whiny and stuff, but I've got a few issues with the game. I know a lot of folks love it and I'm not saying it doesn't have some great things going for it, but I for one am not falling in love with it.

I sure hope that Todd and Guy dont read this, because theres obviously a great deal of work thats been done to improve the game over Fo3.
I'm only 20 hours in and I know that wont sound like much but I've pretty well picked up on the feel of it now.

<rant begins>
I have a couple of specific gripes; but to begin with the graphics are a little old. Now I know everyone says that and then they follow up by saying its ok because the gameplay is so good. Well, I dont agree. A lot of the time there is no play as such, just travelling around taking in the art. Blurry textures and blocky graphics (especially on buildings) are distracting. Its not all bad, it often gets away with it looking fine, but not always. Now this was probably acceptable in Fo3 at the time but I dont feel the same way here in 2015/2016 with Fo4.

The game has been noted to be kinda like an improved version of Fo3, which it is, but it also repeats a lot of Fo3 stuff, which is a little tedious. Yes, there probably would be guys sitting around thirsty begging for water and theres a moral decision for the user involved in that, but didnt we do that already?

Yes, we need to search corpses for loot, but theres so many of them and why do animals carry caps and ammo anyway? I mean, that makes no sense.

Crafting, wow, neat idea back in the day, but now so tiresome. Need to collect the recipes keep track of inventory and collect as much junk as you can, all the freakin time. Transferring to companions to manage weight. Sheesh, seriously, i'm over micro-managing inventory now? Since when is this fun? Minigames are never a good idea unless you happen to be GTA and doing satire.

Speaking of the companions, they need to offer a bit more in the way of actual companionship. Mostly just follow us around engaging anything that moves with occasional banal comments. Limited repertoire of dialog and animations that gets old quick. They still cant keep up? Bah, I miss Barney and Beissman, Elizabeth. Wheres the emotion? The passion? The humanity? We're in a wasteland for hecks sake, with civilisation gone to pot. Is there nothing to be done there?

As to the wasteland and the art - 200 years? No way. I give it 50 or so.
Tires and boxes lying around the streets? No way, they'd be half buried or overgrown, if not rotted.
Metal would be far more rusted. Shiny, spotless chrome bumpers glistening in the sun? Nope, rusted. Posters lying around or pasted to walls outside? No, no, no.

Ekectricity running, with light bulbs lit up all over derelict and abandoned buildings? C'mon. 200 years? Didnt the generators run out of gas long ago? Rust? Break down? In fact, i cant even find the generators!

I know its an alternate history, different tech, but these things disrupt immersion constantly.

Atmosphere! and by far this has got to be the biggest fail. Always has been, but its time it was cleaned up. We need epic main campaigns, with epic alternate endings and branches. Side quests to fetch the gadget are boring. NPC's standing around offering jobs has been done to death and to tell the truth, done better in other games. How about decent interesting story lines? Interesting characters? A sense of urgency/importance/foreboding/tension?
What about games like STALKER or BIOSHOCK? Didnt they show an alternative?

All we do is collect junk, micromanage inventory and level up. Managing ammo might be fine, if it made any bleeping difference, but it doesnt. Its not about the right gun for the right job. Nothing so intelligent. Just pick your biggest, fastest weapon and you're right to go. Actually you could toss all the other gear, except you need to carry 20 different lesser guns around because you never know when you will run out of ammo for the big guns. So you have to carry everything.

The firefights can be fun sometimes, but VATS is just a cheat and a fiddle and an annoyance. Why is time slowing down again? Huh? And how is that working, blue tooth connection between my PIP boy and my guns? Why does my PIP boy even do that?
And the firefights are so brief. All that space and badass NPC's but its just a series of short gunfights.
Really miss the Far Cry camps at these times.
And why is the combat system still so clunky !!

Ultimately its cartoon graphics, uninspiring missions, tedium and 2 dimensional characters and we deserve more.
</rant ends>
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 12-30-2015 at 08:38 AM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #107
Sandog
CLUB ROG VI APEX

Great writing and material as always. I can almost play the game listening to you.
Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i9-7900X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz C16 CMD32GX4M4C3200C16-ROG / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Samsung 850 Pro SATA 1TB / Ducky Shine 3 YOTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS OC Panel / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #108
traveler
Where to next?

zap:

Did you do Nick Valentine's favor mission yet?

How far into the game are you really? Did you waste your 20 hours gathering junk or playing the game?

Did you do Vault 81 and NOT GET BIT? Did you complete the special mission to Vault 95?

I don't think you're far enough into the game. I have 300+ hours.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #109
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post
zap:

Did you do Nick Valentine's favor mission yet?

How far into the game are you really? Did you waste your 20 hours gathering junk or playing the game?

Did you do Vault 81 and NOT GET BIT? Did you complete the special mission to Vault 95?

I don't think you're far enough into the game. I have 300+ hours.
I've been completely avoiding any spoilers or reviews so I have no clue about those things. My approach has been to take on any side missions that I would naturally do under the circumstances. I dont believe I've progressed very far at all yet.

Do you mean that I should stick to the main campaign, or are those just more interesting side missions?
Even if those turn out to be more exciting it wont change a lot of my criticism.
For example, they cant improve the AI or the atmosphere.
I've just noticed another thing; the day night cycle is ridiculously short, and I never need to eat, drink or sleep. I really miss the immersion and dark atmosphere of STALKER, hunting for interesting and valuable artefacts and wild firefights with stealth and guns blazing tactics combined.

i think I'll go back to the main campaign soon. Just wanna beef up my perks a bit first.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 01-01-2016, 03:47 AM   #110
traveler
Where to next?

Unfortunately for your "style" of play Fallout (and a few other games) absolutely require hints or looking ahead. The game is just designed that way ... in my opinion.

Saying that ... I will now say ... There are things you will NEVER NEVER EVER find on your own just aimlessly wandering around. You will NEVER know that there are two great magazines to get in the building you just left because one magazine is under a box with only one inch of the edge of the magazine sticking out from under the box and the other magazine only appears when you are with a particular NPC and since you just cleared the building and probably will never be back to that building then you will play the entire game never using those perks. You have a better chance of winning the Lottery than finding those magazines.

I don't have the time in my life to hunt every quarter inch of the in-game ground multiple times to still maybe never find things. If you have 1000+ hours to play this game than go for it. If you don't have 1000+ hours then ... well ... only buy games rated at 30 hours I guess. This game seems to get better and better and more and more fun with the more perks and buffs you collect. I have the headshot perk and it is great.

Fallout is not real life ... it's a game. Have fun. While playing chess ... or checkers ... you don't move your Kings around aimlessly. The game does not tell you what to do with your Kings. You got that information from ... hmmmm ... a source outside of the actual game itself.

I hesitate to say much now because I don't want to spoil things for you but going around blind in Fallout will show only half the game contents to you. You will never meet certain companions unless you are terribly lucky or spend 1000+ hours playing. And you will never be awarded certain perks because they will never be discovered.

I find it hard to believe that ATM I have 324 hours into the game and I "think" I covered about two thirds of the game ... and I extensively look ahead.

Fallout 4 has many "distracting" side missions. You seem to be distracted by them and take them on when you receive them. Don't. There are many locations that have their own location start quests. Go there and collect the quest starts. Go with a companion because you want those perks.

I think Fallout 4 is meant to be played with the player receiving information from within the game and from without the game. With that in mind, I am going to say in case you somehow missed the in game one time NPC who tells you to go to Diamond City as soon as you can. I am also going to say build up your XP with companions. You can ask me later how do you get Pipers companion perk of being awarded double bonus XP but I do recommend getting Pipers bonus XP perk first early in the game. You will never discover that playing the game so it's about as much a spoiler as me recommending a restaurant somewhere.

I also recommend the Faction quests to build up XP. When you do them, don't anger the other Factions.

The sky the clouds the stars the moon ... spectacular to look at in game. The radiation storms of the deep southwest with the howling wind ... also spectacular with its surround sound effects.

You will have more fun after you get more of those perks. I hear the Deathclaw companion perk is interesting. I have not yet done that one. (not a spoiler because it's on your PiPboy chart)

The AI is better with some NPCs ... not so good with some others. Not a game breaker though. The atmosphere gets better the deeper you get into the game.

BTW ... I like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro.

Last edited by traveler; 01-01-2016 at 03:54 AM..
Old 01-01-2016, 06:13 AM   #111
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Unfortunately for your "style" of play Fallout (and a few other games) absolutely require hints or looking ahead. The game is just designed that way ...
I like to discover things on my own, but plenty of people like to gather tips and thats fine, each to his own. I will head off to the Diamond city soon.

One annoyance you may be able help me with; I've accidentally sent Dogmeat off and swapped him with Codsworth, where can I find him again? Codsworth is pretty good in a fight and carrying stuff, but his dialog is irritating!
I agree that some of the visuals do look very sweet.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #112
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

You should have got a dialog as to where you want Dogmeat to go once you selected your new companion. I would start looking for him in Sanctuary in the backyards of houses. He usually chills out in a dog house.
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Gold 1TB, ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Corsair 550D Case including 3x120 Corsair SP120 Fans,
Seasonic Prime Platinum 650 PSU
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Ducky One White LED KB Cherry Blue, Logitech MX518
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
iPhone 7+ 32GB, iPad 32GB WiFi, iPad 16GB WiFi
Old 01-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #113
traveler
Where to next?

JimTram is correct.

DogMeat will most likely be sleeping in any one of the three four five doghouses behind anyone of the houses in Sanctuary. Or you can listen for his bark and go in that direction. That's how I found him the first time when I thought I lost him. I barely heard a dog's bark way way off in the distance and said, "Could that be?" I followed the direction of the barking and there he was inside a neighbor's doghouse and easy to miss unless you looked.

Another way to find him is first save your game. Then with the 'player.moveto' command find him. Then go back to your saved game but this time you know exactly where he is and can go there.

Let's face it: ... In the "real world" you would train him to go to "his" doghouse and there he would be. Unfortunately, game designers today design a game with "How can I waste the game players in-game valuable gameplaying time some more?" so instead of one doghouse to go to and look now there are many.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #114
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
I will head off to the Diamond city soon.
Try to be in Diamond City on Christmas Day. Also load up a saved game from prior to October 31, 2287 and do a quick run and look at Halloween in Diamond City.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #115
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTram View Post
You should have got a dialog as to where you want Dogmeat to go once you selected your new companion. I would start looking for him in Sanctuary in the backyards of houses. He usually chills out in a dog house.
Yep, there was something that flashed up too quick to read.
I'm doing something incorrect with the dialog tree around dismissing my companion. I distinctly recall hitting "cancel" at the end of it but Dogmeat still ran off.
I'm getting used to Codsworth. One things for sure, he's a meat grinder when in action! He's also let me know that he doesnt agree with me helping out the Brotherhood, lol.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 01-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #116
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
I'm getting used to Codsworth. One things for sure, he's a meat grinder when in action! He's also let me know that he doesnt agree with me helping out the Brotherhood, lol.
Each of the companions will tell you of their likes and dislikes. Each one has different likes and dislikes. Their comments and chatter and individual personalities are great nonetheless.

Recommendation: Reload your game if you see a dislike. You need all the "Codsworth liked that"s you can get to rapidly receive Codsworth's companion perk. Make sure you see the "Like" in the upper corner for things he likes. If you don't see the "Like", reload and do it again because he may not have been watching you at that moment. And too many Dislikes and he leaves you never to return, thus you never get his perk. After you receive his companion perk it doesn't matter anymore. ... or move on to another companion and go after another permanent companion perk. Codsworth does give a nice perk.

You need all the perks you can get as things get more and more difficult.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:50 AM   #117
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
...You need all the perks you can get as things get more and more difficult..
Thanks for the tip

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 01-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #118
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
Thanks for the tip
When you are eligible for his perk, you will see "Codsworth idolizes you" in the upper corner instead of "Codsworth liked that". Then do the right talk tree thing and a box will appear saying you received a new permanent perk from Codsworth.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #119
traveler
Where to next?

I just one shotted an Alpha DeathClaw during my second tour of the Glowing Sea.
I still need some additional Rad protection. I'm going to max Endurance level 6 Rad Resistant and Endurance level 9 Goulish Perks.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #120
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

Still mucking around on Freedom Trail. Level 49.
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Gold 1TB, ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Corsair 550D Case including 3x120 Corsair SP120 Fans,
Seasonic Prime Platinum 650 PSU
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Ducky One White LED KB Cherry Blue, Logitech MX518
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
iPhone 7+ 32GB, iPad 32GB WiFi, iPad 16GB WiFi