ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-23-2005, 11:00 AM   #3091
degeester

Cool and Quiet suggestions

I am running (installed this morning a Zalman CPS7000 on 3.2E Prescott, Asus P4C800E-Dlx & Artic Silver 5. Previously, yesterday, I used the stock HSF with AS 5. I had a high under load of 78C and avg of 55. IMHO way too hot! With the change to the Zalman, avg. temp 37 C high & under load of 47 C. Keep in mind the AS 5 hasn't had time to cure. By the way I am running the heat sink fan at approximately the same speed 2300 RPM. Zalman on max is about 2300, Intel HSP was about 2200. Zalman fan is much quieter.

By the way, akash, Zalman was easier to install than the standard HSF. Zalman has a installation video on their website. If you have a Phillips head screw driver your all set.
2 Gb HyperX 3500,
Seagate SATA 7200.2 120Gb,
ATI X800 Pro,
Creative SoundBlaster Augidy 2zs Gamer
Windows XP Pro SP2,
Antec Plus1080,
4x80mm Panaflo L1A,
Antec True550 psu.

Last edited by degeester; 01-23-2005 at 11:24 AM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #3092
akash_abx

Quote:
Originally Posted by degeester
I am running (installed this morning a Zalman CPS7000 on 3.2E Prescott, Asus P4C800E-Dlx & Artic Silver 5. Previously, yesterday, I used the stock HSF with AS 5. I had a high under load of 78C and avg of 55. IMHO way too hot! With the change to the Zalman, avg. temp 37 C high & under load of 47 C. Keep in mind the AS 5 hasn't had time to cure. By the way I am running the heat sink fan at approximately the same speed 2300 RPM. Zalman on max is about 2300, Intel HSP was about 2200. Zalman fan is much quieter.

By the way, akash, Zalman was easier to install than the standard HSF. Zalman has a installation video on their website. If you have a Phillips head screw driver your all set.
thanx buddy
i heard abt the water cooling , what do u think of that ...
mostly people now switching to water cooling. is it hard to install?.i read the review of thermaltake big water kit . how is that ...i have mid tower XBLADE case , ca i do water cooling in this cabnet?
Old 01-23-2005, 12:09 PM   #3093
Ice_abx
Chillin'

Watercooling is slowly becoming mainstream (don't know if it'll ever get there) as there is more variety and the performance gap between air and water cooling grows larger, not to mention a decrease in noise. If you're worried about space inside your case to house the water cooling equipment, go with an exernal unit such as the Koolance Exos-Al. It performs great and although it isn't silent, it's much quieter than your typical air cooling setup.

Here's a couple of reviews on each kit to get you started:

Koolance Exos-Al
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ1
http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD04NzQ=
http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Cooli...xos-Al-Review/

Thermaltake BigWater
http://gruntville.com/reviews/wc/thermaltake_bigwater/
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=270
http://www.systemcooling.com/tt_bigwater-01.html

Mobo » DFI LANPARTY PRO875B rev. B1 (BIOS 0913)
CPU » Intel 3.0c @ 3.95 GHz (263 FSB)
RAM » 1GB OCZ EL PC3200 Platinum Rev. 2 @ 2.5-3-3-6 (DDR526)
Video » BFG 6800 Ultra OC @ 470/1260 MHz
Storage » Hard Drives » 2x SATA Western Digital SE 80GB in RAID 0 & Western Digital SE 250GB
Storage » Optical » NEC ND-3500AG DL 16x DVD±RW & Pioneer DVD-105S 16x
Sound » Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Power » OCZ PowerStream 520W
Cooling » H2O » Koolance Exos-Al (CPU-300-H06 & VID-NV1-L06)
Cooling » Air » Swiftech MCX159-P
Chassis » Lian-Li PC-6085A
Speakers » Logitech Z-680
Displays » Dell 2001FP & ViewSonic VP171b
OS » Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 01-24-2005, 09:04 AM   #3094
BigTeeth

My P4P800-E Deluxe was working great until yesterday. I plugged in my digital camera to one of the front USB ports and the machine immediately locked up, then shut down after about 5 seconds. The smell told me something serious was wrong. The ICH5R was fried.

I've attached a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ICH5R.gif (85.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 01-24-2005, 09:18 AM   #3095
Ice_abx
Chillin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTeeth
My P4P800-E Deluxe was working great until yesterday. I plugged in my digital camera to one of the front USB ports and the machine immediately locked up, then shut down after about 5 seconds. The smell told me something serious was wrong. The ICH5R was fried.

I've attached a picture.
Whoa, how did that happen?

Storage » Hard Drives » 2x SATA Western Digital SE 80GB in RAID 0 & Western Digital SE 250GB
OS » Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 01-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #3096
Underwater Mike

Was your NB heatsink loose or something?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:46 AM   #3097
N.W.O

This could be a case of miswired front panel usb connector, have you used the connector before or was this the first time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:02 AM   #3098
mr. Charles
Lost > but still at it

Unhappy ....????! ! ! ! .....BummmDeal......

. . . . . man-o-man........ ....that has to be the most upsetting thing to have happen, so quickly, and with the "after-burner" of an electrical smell to linger inside that case for some time..... .....really sorry to see such a thing happen to anybody for this is not an "easy" type of a fix ! ! ! ...........yet alone to try and explain for "What the. ._-_-_- . .???"
Again, BigTeeth, sorry to see it happened to ya and hope thing's are going to work out for the best for you...... :o

_AMD Opty 170 {CCBWE 0530 TPMW} @2.8 * ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe mthrbrd * 2GB G.Skill {HZ} *
2(ea)=Nvidia Geforce 7800 GTX 512MB=>>SLI<<
* 2x= WD 74GB Raptor's & Maxtor's 250GB/7200 rpm *
OCZ-600w_Adj SLi PwrStream * SB X-Fi XtremeMusic * Swiftech H2O "Xtreme Duty"_cooling_ (w/Storm_wb ) *

..."another"_rigg...

_AMDFX-55 * MSI K8N Neo2 Plat. nVidia nForce3 mthrbrd * 2GB Mushkin's XP4000 * ATi (R) X800 XT Plat.Ed.(cat's 5.20) *
* OCZ-520w_Adj PwrStream PSU * H2O-cooling = CPU * AC_Silencer4-cooling = GPU * Aerogate-2 {mntr:temp's/fan-rpm's} *
* 2(ea)=WD 74GB Raptor s * >>>Ground Poundin<<< Logitech's Z680 spkr.systm.* Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard *
* Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse * Samsung 940b LCD * yeah >>> yeah
. . .
i-No *
...the "other" rigg...

_P4 2.4C@3.4 {SL6Z3} * Asus P4C800-E Dlx_rev2.0 {Bios=1016} * 2GB OCZ PC3200(2x1024) *
H2O-cooled = Koolance/EXOS-AL { rad, CPU, GPU, res/pump }* NB = Swiftech's MCX159-P *
ATi (R) X800 Pro {cat's 5.20} * Aerogate-2 {mntr-temp's/fan rpm's} * Enermax-550w psu*
2(ea)=WD 74GB Raptors * Lian-Li PC60usb (mid_Alum.cs) * Audigy 2 ZS *
ViewSonic PF790 (19" mntr.) *
Old 01-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #3099
dMb

Quote:
Originally Posted by degeester

Hi

I have a Question. I run the below specs, but I have a hole lot of different temp. In idle mode i have 47 c, under high load, i rise as faar as 57 c and Im forced to run without the Fan Mate. I suspect that I used to much Artic Silver thermal grease, do you think that it could be the reason?

thanks

/dMb

Lian-LI PCV1000
Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Antec NeoPower 480W
Intel 3.2E Ghz
Samsung 2*512 GB DDR RAM 333 Mhz
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
ATI X800 XT Platinum Edition
SB X-FI
UATA RAID Card
80GB SATA Seagate HD
80GB UATA IBM HD x 1
Pioneer 106s DVD Player
Plextor 40x CD-R/RW Recorder
Old 01-24-2005, 12:07 PM   #3100
Ice_abx
Chillin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMb
Hi

I have a Question. I run the below specs, but I have a hole lot of different temp. In idle mode i have 47 c, under high load, i rise as faar as 57 c and Im forced to run without the Fan Mate. I suspect that I used to much Artic Silver thermal grease, do you think that it could be the reason?

thanks

/dMb
Those temps seem pretty normal considering you have a Prescott, which run hotter than Northwoods. A 10C difference between idle and load isn't bad at all. If you're unsure that you used too much thermal goop, try cleaning it of and reapplying it again. If you're using AS5, all you need is a dot the size of a rice grain. The force from the heatsink when you put it on will spread the grease on evenly. If you're using AS3, spread a paper thin layer and you'll be good to go.

OS » Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 01-24-2005, 06:23 PM   #3101
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dMb
Hi

thanks

/dMb
What is your case (motherboard) temp? With figures like this, I suspect something like 30-32C. If it is much higher, you might need a little additional case cooling. If it is much lower, you might need to reapply the Arctic Silver. Note: It takes about a week to "cure." Your temps may be higher until then.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:42 AM   #3102
BigTeeth

I just plugged in the camera to the front USB port, then turned the camera on. I'd done this hundreds of times before without any issues. I can't imagine what was different about this particular time. I'm going to check the connections to the front ports for sure. It's possible that they could have come loose. I've heard about issues with the ICH5 & 6 chips burning up if the ground to a USB device isn't connected before the signal lines.

Quote:

I've attached a picture.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #3103
hondaman_abx

Quote:
I just plugged in the camera to the front USB port, then turned the camera on. I'd done this hundreds of times before without any issues. I can't imagine what was different about this particular time. I'm going to check the connections to the front ports for sure. It's possible that they could have come loose. I've heard about issues with the ICH5 & 6 chips burning up if the ground to a USB device isn't connected before the signal lines.
BigTeeth sorry to hear about your board. I was going to hook up my Tsunami dream usb but I am scared to now.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #3104
KGB

JUst got the board, and its a great board even though i jumped on the band wagon a bit late as new boards and sockets are out. But regardless, its a great board that will meet my needs for the next few years.

Quick question. I cant find "PAT" in BIOS. Perhaps it is labeled as something else?
Another thing, is i cant find a guide that will state specificaly what settings i should have for most BIOS settings to get the most performance out of this board. I found few things here and there on the forums, but not a step by step list of steps and settings that have to be taken to get the most out of this board in BIOS, besides Ram timings, DDR voltage and CPU frequency.
I guess what im looking for is settings for BIOS that will give me best performance with out overclocking.

Thanks for the help.

P.s.
heres a list of parts that i have if that might help to suggest as to what settigs i should have.

Freshly installed Win XP Pro, with all the latest drivers. and updates.

Bios ver.1019
p4c800 e- dlx ... rev A.2
p4 3.06 800fsb
samsung pc3200 cl.2.5 2x512
ati x800xt plat. edition
PCI Hercules XP sound card
main IDE - 30gig HDD with OS
second IDE - cd-rom, cd-rw
SATA 1 - IDE 40gig HDD connected using sata adapter
SATA 2 - IDE 30 gig HDD connected using sata adapter

Im not planing to run RAID.

thanks again.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #3105
Spiider

Angry Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Problemzzz

Hi all. I just found this scary 208 pages thread, and since I belong to the group for the past 5 days I can say one thing as a startup: HELP!!!

Man I got this board 5 days ago and I can't install XP Pro properly on it, no way!

Now the config is:

Besides THE HORROR BOARD
P4 2,6 / 512 / 800 / Hyperthreading
1 GB DDR3200 Kingston RAM (2x512)
A DVD-R Drive, Toshiba
AGP 8x ATI 9600 256MBRam
IDE 160gb HDD from Samsung
Floppy
Chieftec midi Tower (360W PS)

When installing I constantly get messages that setup can not copy some files to the HDD, and it's always at random, never same files. Therefore the setup can not complete. I have managed to do it once when skipping some files but the system was far to unstable to be usable. I have tried using both IDE controllers, only one controller, Promise controller with IDE2 and IDE1 (yes I have used driver disk with F6 option)...

I have eliminated RAM, CPU, ATI Gcard and DVD DRIVE as as source of problems as I was able to do everything properly using my older board with those components. XP CD is also not an issue, since I was able to install it on the Comp not using this board.

I have also tried searching fior different BIOS settings for this board and I was amazed that there are so many people having all kinds of random problems with this piece of High-Tech junk!!! Turning Promise off, Hyperthreading off, higher FSB, lower FSB, different RAM setup, Auto setup for all... all with the same results. Just wont install properly. I have also used 4 different sets of IDE cables but with no sucess.

Also tried putting RAM as single or dual channels.

I'm thinking of smashing it against the wall, but one last hope remains... YOU! Oh please help me, I know there are some people using this mainboard without problems. Tell me what have I done wrong, or what have I missed to do.

Oh, not to forget BIOS, tried with latest official v, and the latest BETA as well, but the result was always the same.

Just to add: I have changed the battery on the board as well, but still same.

OMG, could it be the Power supply?!? Is that possible, I just found some info that this MoBo is a power eater DELUXE!!! Could it be that simple?!?

Last edited by Spiider; 01-30-2005 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add