ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 05-06-2006, 04:22 AM   #3211
DutchBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Baer
......The problem is that once I go through the bios reset and then reboot and let it tell me the non existant OC has failed..........
Once I updated the BIOS, followed by the message that it was successfully updated. After reboot I got the message that it was overclocked which wasn't and could not install XP!. I reduced the FSB to 100 and was able to install XP.
After installing XP, I updated the BIOS again (same firmware) via Live Update. I then increased the FSB to 200 (default), restarted the PC and since then it's running flawlessly.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #3212
Dan-Baer
Ancient Teckie

Mobo replacement question

Asus tells me they think I have a defective capacitor in my MOBO which is keeping the Bios from saving Etc. They are going to replace it. The only other thing could me the PSU but I have tested it under load and everything looks OK.

My question is, will the new MOBO recognize my RAID 0 array? WIll loose my set up and data? Yes I do have it all backed up but it would be so much easier if I did not have to do all the installs and restorations.
Asus Commando, QX6700 @ 2.93, 4 Gb Corsair (PC2-8500 Dominator), Zalman 7500, Corsair 1 KW PSU, BFG GTX 285 OC, 2 Raptors in RAID 0 (OS and Apps) 2 Raptors in non raid for files and client data. WD 7500AAKS for main storage, X-Fi Fatal1ty, Normal optical drives Etc. 2 Ea Samsung 24" 245t's

New test rig, Spring of 09, i7-920 OC (3.6 so far) Rampage II Extreme, 6 GB Corsair Dominator GT , BFG GTX 2285 OCE, PSU HX 1000W 1 KW Corsair, 2 EA WD 300GB V Raptors in RAID-0 boot, 1 Tb WD RE3 data and BU. Tt Armor+ case, Optical drives Etc.

Thanks to everyone here for all the help
Old 05-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #3213
Steelwingz
Air Head

What's the fastest Proc and Vid Card for this board?

Hello,

I've been using the P4C800E-Deluxe as my primary machine for just over three years now. Finally starting to feel long in the tooth. The overclocked P4 2.4 and Radeon 9800 Pro just ain't cutting it anymore.

So, what is THE fastest processor and graphics board I can put in this thing? It's going to become my secondary gaming machine, as well as a multimedia server.

Thanks for the help!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
BIOS: 1010
CPU: 2.4C @ 260 fsb 1:1
Memory: 2x512 Corsair TwinX PC4000 @ 2.85v
Heatsink/fan: Zalman CNPS-7000Cu (love it)
Video: ATi Radeon 9800 Pro
HD: Samsung 40gig 7200RPM 2 meg cache, Western Digital 250 gig 8 meg cache
CD: Plextor PlexWriter Premium
Power Supply: Antec TruePower 380
Case Fans: 2 Panasonic Panaflo 120mm, RPM controlled by power supply
Monitor: NEC FE2111SB
Case: Antec Sonata
Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #3214
Dan-Baer
Ancient Teckie

I am not sure what the fastest CPU is, I think with the latest BIOS it will take a P4 Extreme but for sure at least a P4 3.2. Since this is not PCI-e board the most up to date video card I have been able to find that will work in this MOBO is the 7800 GS. That is what I now have and it is handling Oblivion with most settings maxed just fine.

I will be deciding on componnents for a new rig as soon as the Core2 Duo is out and I can see some benchmarks against what else is out there late in the summer.
Asus Commando, QX6700 @ 2.93, 4 Gb Corsair (PC2-8500 Dominator), Zalman 7500, Corsair 1 KW PSU, BFG GTX 285 OC, 2 Raptors in RAID 0 (OS and Apps) 2 Raptors in non raid for files and client data. WD 7500AAKS for main storage, X-Fi Fatal1ty, Normal optical drives Etc. 2 Ea Samsung 24" 245t's

New test rig, Spring of 09, i7-920 OC (3.6 so far) Rampage II Extreme, 6 GB Corsair Dominator GT , BFG GTX 2285 OCE, PSU HX 1000W 1 KW Corsair, 2 EA WD 300GB V Raptors in RAID-0 boot, 1 Tb WD RE3 data and BU. Tt Armor+ case, Optical drives Etc.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:33 AM   #3215
LongView

Hope someone can help me out here and apologies if I'm crashing this thread. I upgraded to the P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard about 2 months ago and it has been running solid ever since.

Last week when I tried downloading the public beta of Office 2007 (440mb file) it was always corruped no matter what I did. Downloaded it on my server and all was fine so copied it across the network and even burned it to CD but everytime it is corrupt on the workstation.

Then finally a BSOD followed by a corrupted RAID-1 array that I was able to rebuild without issues. I thought maybe a drive was failing but having run the microsoft memory test, from a bootable CD, the memory fails every test no matter what memory configuration or slot I try. I'm also getting CRC check errors on any bittorrent downloads I try.

I had a P4T533 go bad that showed up as memory failures but was able to test with some other RAMBUS memory I had so knew it was the board which when replaced worked fine.

Is it likely the board that has failed or the both memory sticks gone bad? Any advice gratefully received so I know which item to replace first. I guess the logical thing is the memory first given its the easiest to replace.

EDIT: I should add I doubt heat is an issue here as the CPU runs around 40C idle/45C fully loaded.
Case: NZXT Lexa, Fans: 1x120mm Side (in), 1x120mm Front (in), 1x120mm Rear (out), PSU Fan and CPU Fan (VapoChill Micro Ultra Low Noise), PSU: Corsair HX620 620W , MB: ASUS P5B Wi-Fi Deluxe, CPU: Intel E6600 @ 2.4Ghz, RAM: 4 x 1024MB Corsair T2X1024-6400C4 (Settings: 4-4-4-12 & VDIMM: 2.1V), Graphics: XFX GeForce 7950GT 512MB DDR3 XT Edition Dual DVI, LAN: Onboard Marvell PCI-E Gigabit Controller, Sound: Onboard AD1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio, Optical: Sony DVD RW DW-G120A, Tuner: Hauppauge Nova-T-500 Dual Tuner, RAID: Intel ICH8R Controller, Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 16MB RAID0 & 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax10 300Gb 16MB SATA2 RAID1
Old 05-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #3216
Dan-Baer
Ancient Teckie

Is this a new MOBO or a used one? If it is not new try changing the C-MOS battery even if the voltage on it still shows good. You also may have degrading electrolytic capacitors. There were a number of bad batches of caps made in Chine a few years ago. Aparently they start to leak so it may be a MOBO going bad.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #3217
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.
As I recall, the bad capacitor problems affected an earlier generation of motherboards and were pretty much extinct by the time the P4C800E Deluxe came around.

Regarding your post, LongView, if everything but this application seems to run fine, I suspect it is a problem with the program (Office 2007 beta in this case) rather than your hardware. I have not tried this beta, nor am I likely to, but Microsoft software is usually rife with RPCs and other low-level calls. It is possible that there could be an incompatibility with your existing OS (if it has not been fully updated) or a BIOS setting. (Perhaps a BIOS flash to the latest version for the P4C800E Deluxe would help, but I am leery of recommending something risky like a motherboard BIOS flash to see if it helps run some beta software.)

PS: Those temperatures are not bad for a 3.2 GHz Prescott.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #3218
Dan-Baer
Ancient Teckie

PSU shut down during boot

This morning when I started up my rig started to boot then everything shut down. I tried a reboot and I had no power at all. I waited for the power supply to reset and tried again and got the same thing.
Finally I unpluged for a minute, pluged back in and rebooted normally.
I have now run for five hours then shut down and rebooted normally. I has similar problems a few weeks ago after resetting the C-MOS when adding more memory. I replaced the C-MOS battery and that seemed to take care of it until this morning.
I wonder if I am seeing the start of a PSu problem or even a MOBO issue or was this an abnormality. Any thoughts?

Old 05-30-2006, 04:06 PM   #3219
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Hey Dan-Baer, sorry to learn about your troubles. There are several possible approaches.

1. Just forget about it. If it happens again, then look into other options.

2. If you are not using a surge protector or UPS, you might wish to look into acquiring one of those. If your power is dirty, you can get odd problems. It is also hard on your PSU and other components.

3. Problems with the CPU heatsink or heatsink fan. For me, sudden shut downs after an initial start have always been related to CPU overheating problems. This is usually after a new build where I later discovered a malfunctioning heatsink fan or poorly mounted CPU heatsink. However, that should not be the case for you with a system that has been running fine for some time. (You should still check and make sure your heatsink fan is working properly.)

4. Consider trying a new PSU. The logic works like this: normally, a CMOS battery failure will give you an error on start and make you go into BIOS to set the correct date or something like that. Therefore, rather than the CMOS battery, I would look at the PSU as a suspect. If you plan on building an upgraded computer within the next 12 months, I would get a good one. That way, if this is not the problem, you will just get your new power supply early. If it is the problem, you have a solution and are ready for the upgrade as well. In the event that an upgrade is not in your near future, I would pick up a reasonable quality (not junk) but low cost PSU to try as a replacement. That will minimize your losses in case that is not the actual problem, and will give you a PSU to swap out for future troubleshooting.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:39 PM   #3220
Dan-Baer
Ancient Teckie

Thanks good suggestion on the PSU. Mine is a Purepower (Tt) that came with the case. It tests OK but may have something intermittent going on.

I have great AC power as I have solar with battery back up filtered through a dedicated controller and then an APC 750 between the wall and the CPU.
I check my CPU fan every month when I clean out my dust filters. I blow any dust out of the Zalman cooling fins during that monthly cleaning. My nephew was here all weekend playing Oblivion with maxed out settings for 8 to 10 hours straight. I would have thought that if anything would stress the system that would do it.

I am going to build a new rig soon. I am waiting for Core 2 Duo and the reviews, chatter and new MOBO's that will certainly apear. I will start from scratch as my Wife will get this rig to replace her (my old) Area 51.

I think I will see if it happens again and if so get a new, and slightly larger PSU. I just hate the thought of cutting all my neat cable bundles Etc.

Thanks

Old 05-30-2006, 04:54 PM   #3221
LongView

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogar
Regarding your post, LongView, if everything but this application seems to run fine, I suspect it is a problem with the program (Office 2007 beta in this case) rather than your hardware.
Thanks for the responses and apologies if I wasn't clear -- it isn't the application it is the downloaded install file that first showed signs of an issue. The installer fails and even using WinZip to decompress the files throws up a bad archive error. I have downloaded and unzipped on my server without any issues yet when I copied that file to the workstation I got the same problems and even when taking a tested copy from a CD.

I was downloading a 3gb torrent at the weekend and stopped it after I reached 3gb's worth of hash errors after downloading only 2gb's of the file -- moved the torrent to the server and it downloaded without a single one.

I'm also seeing problems installing Prime95 and when I finally got it installed it fails the stress test, so really think I'm looking at memory or motherboard failure. I've downloaded memtest86+ tonight and that fails even after manually relaxing the memory timings. I just find it strange that both memory modules have failed or both paired slots on the motherboard.

Quote:
PS: Those temperatures are not bad for a 3.2 GHz Prescott.
Thanks, I was seeing scary temps until I spent £20 on the VapoChill Micro Xtreme and since then its transformed the heat dissipation -- I can't rave about the product enough which has liquid in the heat pipes that turns to gas which in turn removes heat and as it rises and cools it turns back into a liquid and falls back down to the CPU again.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have another 2 x 1024MB Corsair CMX1024-3200 (TwinX) arriving tomorrow (hopefully) so that will rule out the memory, allowing for the possibility of the new memory being DOA, and if that fails I should have a replacement motherboard by the end of the week (purchased from eBay). Will post a follow up after each step. Wish me luck......
Case: NZXT Lexa, Fans: 1x120mm Side (in), 1x120mm Front (in), 1x120mm Rear (out), PSU Fan and CPU Fan (VapoChill Micro Ultra Low Noise), PSU: Corsair HX620 620W , MB: ASUS P5B Wi-Fi Deluxe, CPU: Intel E6600 @ 2.4Ghz, RAM: 4 x 1024MB Corsair T2X1024-6400C4 (Settings: 4-4-4-12 & VDIMM: 2.1V), Graphics: XFX GeForce 7950GT 512MB DDR3 XT Edition Dual DVI, LAN: Onboard Marvell PCI-E Gigabit Controller, Sound: Onboard AD1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio, Optical: Sony DVD RW DW-G120A, Tuner: Hauppauge Nova-T-500 Dual Tuner, RAID: Intel ICH8R Controller, Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 16MB RAID0 & 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax10 300Gb 16MB SATA2 RAID1
Old 05-31-2006, 12:38 AM   #3222
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Hey LongView, thank you for the additional information. Sorry to learn about your problems. Failing both prime95 and memtest 86+ is a bad sign. I am inclined to believe that it is more likely that the motherboard is failing than the memory or CPU. The reasoning is that I think it is rare to have both the CPU and the memory starting to fail at the same time, but having the motherboard fail would cause problems with both. Let me add that it could be a power problem as well. Without the proper power, nothing runs right, and the PSU does not need to fail completely to give a person lots of trouble. I do wish you luck.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:37 AM   #3223
yamawho
Linux user

I just came across this app but haven't tried it yet

MemSet is a memory tweaker for Intel chipsets 845 855 865 875 915 925 945 955 & 975.

1/ install the driver (Driver->SETUP.INF->right click->Install)
2/ Run MemSet!

Make sure that MemSet.exe is in a MemSet folder,else rename it.
When you find your settings,save it and copie an icone in the windows startup folder.

If you want to reload MemSet after this,delete the .ini file in MemSet folder.

To uninstall the driver,Driver->Uninstall.inf->right click->Install.

Utility http://rv.page.cegetel.net.perso.cegetel.net/MemSet.zip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #3224
LongView

Quote:
Failing both prime95 and memtest 86+ is a bad sign. I am inclined to believe that it is more likely that the motherboard is failing than the memory or CPU. The reasoning is that I think it is rare to have both the CPU and the memory starting to fail at the same time, but having the motherboard fail would cause problems with both.
Replacement memory arrived today and is testing 100% pass when running through memtest86+ so am very happy indeed.

I was really hoping it wasn't the motherboard as 1) replacing a motherboard is a big task and 2) there is always the risk of damaging the CPU or other components in the process.

I've contacted SCAN and they are issuing an RMA for the old memory so once that is replaced I can either sell it or use it in the other two slots -- 4gb isn't really needed for XP but it will set me up for Vista nicely. I'm not sure if I should resell the motherboard on eBay, although would be worried about selling an untested item, or keep it in case this one does fail one day.

I am curious about one thing though. The memory states 3-3-3-8 on both the old and new sticks and it is detailed as such on the Corsair website, however, in their product info (PDF) which I looked up yesterday it states only certified as 3-4-4-8 when used in dual-channel mode. The motherboard is set to auto config the memory which is using 3-3-3-8 so have I been accidently overclocking which has then caused the memory to fail? Will the same happen? Should I slow it down manually? Any advice greatfully received and thanks again for the responses so far.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:10 PM   #3225
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongView
Replacement memory arrived today and is testing 100% pass when running through memtest86+ so am very happy indeed.
Good news. I am glad you were able to get a quick solution.