ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 05-23-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
absurd_username
Make it so

Upgrade from 3000+ to X2 4600+ noticable in WoW?

My brother wants me to reformat his computer for him. While I was checking out his motherboard and driver updates I believe that I can drop an Athlon64 X2 4600+ 2.4 ghz dual core cpu into it to replace the current AMD 3000+ cpu. Cost would be about $80cdn.

Universal abit > CPU Support List

Current specs are:

Abit AV8 - VIA KT800pro
AMD 3000+
1gb DDR3200
Sapphire Radeon 9600pro AGP
Win XP Home
120gb + 320gb Seagate hard drives

How much of a difference will the cpu change make in his WoW experience? He currently plays on an old 15 inch LCD monitor at 1024*768, but may be upgrading to a newer larger LCD soon.

I've been looking at upgrading his AGP card as well to a Sapphire Radeon HD 2600xt AGP.

He doesn't use the system for anything but internet, some video DVD burning from his camcorder and WoW. When he originally asked me to build him a system there was no intention of any gaming, but the WoW bug caught him.

Thanks.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-23-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
sammy2066
ABX Public Relations

Re: Upgrade from 3000+ to X2 4600+ noticable in WoW?

The newer CPU will definitely help ... but the bulk of the performance increase will be due to the newer video card.
Most users ever online was 1,377, 04-19-2006 at 10:31 PM.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #3
absurd_username
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy2066 View Post
The newer CPU will definitely help ... but the bulk of the performance increase will be due to the newer video card.
So the AGP card upgrade will be worthwile as well...nice.

Alrighty...I think I will suggest the upgrades to him. My brother has no desire to get a new system any time soon. It took some convincing to get him to replace the Pentium II system he was previously running.

How much hotter or cooler would the newer CPU be compared to the 3000+ ?
Old 05-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
zsaz1029

To be honest, WoW is not exactly a powerhouse game. It has fairly minimal system demands. I made a similar CPU upgrade and a lesser video upgrade, and there's not a lot of difference.

-----
"A scar is never the same as good flesh, but it stops the bleeding." -- FitzChivalry Farseer (Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb)
"Only my pain is more silent than my anger." -- Amber (The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb)
-----

Old 05-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
absurd_username
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsaz1029 View Post
To be honest, WoW is not exactly a powerhouse game. It has fairly minimal system demands. I made a similar CPU upgrade and a lesser video upgrade, and there's not a lot of difference.
Interesting.

I'll first go ahead and do the reformat. See how things run from there. My brother was not knowledgable about defragging, spyware and how to properly store files. When I first inspected his system and tried a defrag the entire C drives was almost a solid red. It was also loaded with spyware and registry errors.

I know the formatting will definitely make things better. Just the thought of upgrading him to a faster dual core for a mere $80 almost seems to be a no brainer.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
zsaz1029

If it were me, I'd still probably go with the update, just to bring my computer up to speed a bit (x2). It would make a difference, and a greater contribution, if you happened to talk him into folding with the machine too.

-----
"A scar is never the same as good flesh, but it stops the bleeding." -- FitzChivalry Farseer (Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb)
"Only my pain is more silent than my anger." -- Amber (The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb)
-----

Old 05-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
absurd_username
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsaz1029 View Post
If it were me, I'd still probably go with the update, just to bring my computer up to speed a bit (x2). It would make a difference, and a greater contribution, if you happened to talk him into folding with the machine too.
Upgrade is a no go. I finally noticed that the CPU was socket AM2 and the mobo it's going into is a 939.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
zsaz1029

Well, he could still fold.

-----
-----

Old 06-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #9
iceman88

I have almost the same specs as in the above. It's almost 3 years now and no problems. Still in dreams of up-grading this system. Nice specs and i believe the Raddeon will do it's thing. Thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
Maria_David

hi everyone..

Nice to find the great place with lots of shared information...

thanks for sharing information, ideas and useful links...

take care
Old 01-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #11
zsaz1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_David View Post
hi everyone..

Nice to find the great place with lots of shared information...

thanks for sharing information, ideas and useful links...

take care
Um, enjoy your Warcraft.

-----
-----