Souraia

Error Loading OS on upgraded system

A64 4800
ASUS M2AVM
Seagate 320GB SATA
Seagate 40G IDE [holding OS from previous system]
ST 2G DDR2 RAM
ASUS EAH3450 Video Card

Running Windows XP on a previous, much outdated system. I was running an Intel 1.8 before with about 512 MB of ram. It really needed updating. So far I have installed all that's listed above. I have tried setting the IDE drive as the main boot, but the BIOS is only showing one hard drive [the SATA]. It's not even recognizing my 40G. It's been so long I forgot how I upgraded my motherboard and processor last time. I remember it being much easier.

I tried unplugging the SATA drive and just running the computer with the IDE drive. It has the same error message every time. Someone had suggested in an earlier post to change the HDD to SCSI... but I cannot find that option in the BIOS. I have switched the jumper on the IDE drive from master to cable select and back again. Nothing is working. My drive was working just before I unplugged everything and reassembled with the new parts.

Need mass help. Not sure what I did wrong. I'm 100% that everything is plugged in properly and nothing has been left out. Ugh, just frustrated at this point. Thanks.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 09-23-2008, 04:25 AM   #2
Souraia

Re: Error Loading OS on upgraded system

I took the jumper and put it in slave position... it recognized both my CDRW and my IDE drives. They're in the right place now. But, it is now trying to start windows in safe mode. When it tries to "restart normally", it restarts from BIOS, never making it to Windows. Safe mode simply loads a buttload of drivers then quits. Last known configuration also just restarts to BIOS.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #3
Drufuss

Hi Souraia, welcome aboard.

Don't know any details about your board, but have you enabled IDE in bios?

On my old board there was something called "compatible mode" that enabled the IDE and the SATA ports all running as IDE, whereas "enhanced mode" let me choose between "only IDE" or "IDE + SATA" and "SATA + IDE".

I hope you are aware of the fact that even when your ide harddisk is recognized as boot device you probably won't be able to simply boot into windows XP. You have to do at least a repair installation to get your new system up and running.

Greetings

Dru
4 x 8GB DDR3-Ram PC3-2400 Kingston Beast XMP
3 x Samsung 840 EvoO 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming (watercooled)
Soundblaster ZxR, Hauppauge HVR4400 DVB-T/S2, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Platimax 750W
Pump: Laing DDC2
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra 3 420
Case: Cooltek Antiphon
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..äh... RulEd!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:36 AM   #4
Drufuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souraia View Post
I took the jumper and put it in slave position... it recognized both my CDRW and my IDE drives. They're in the right place now. But, it is now trying to start windows in safe mode. When it tries to "restart normally", it restarts from BIOS, never making it to Windows. Safe mode simply loads a buttload of drivers then quits. Last known configuration also just restarts to BIOS.
Hoppla, cross posting.

So your hdd and cdrw drive connected to the ide bus are recognized by the bios, good.

cdrw and hdd are on the same bus? (Yes, obviously you only have one IDE channel). Be aware that this can mean your hdd only use the fastest transfer speed on the ide bus that your cdrw is capable of. (That may be UDMA2 instead of UDMA5).

I'd suggest doing a complete new install on the Sata drive, if there is nothing you can loose on the old hdd.

Regarding your booting problems, see previous post.

Greetings

Dru
4 x 8GB DDR3-Ram PC3-2400 Kingston Beast XMP
3 x Samsung 840 EvoO 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming (watercooled)
Soundblaster ZxR, Hauppauge HVR4400 DVB-T/S2, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Platimax 750W
Pump: Laing DDC2
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra 3 420
Case: Cooltek Antiphon
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..äh... RulEd!

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
Souraia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drufuss View Post
Hoppla, cross posting.

So your hdd and cdrw drive connected to the ide bus are recognized by the bios, good.

cdrw and hdd are on the same bus? (Yes, obviously you only have one IDE channel). Be aware that this can mean your hdd only use the fastest transfer speed on the ide bus that your cdrw is capable of. (That may be UDMA2 instead of UDMA5).

I'd suggest doing a complete new install on the Sata drive, if there is nothing you can loose on the old hdd.

Regarding your booting problems, see previous post.

Greetings

Dru
Thanks. I've been avoiding this 'cause it's frustrating. I do know about the repair issue. I got the CD in the CDRW as soon as it would allow me to. I was even considering booting off the disc [but something is nagging at me that that didn't work last time]. So, Windows on the SATA instead of the onboard IDE [I have a 160G external for storage]? I have one issue with that... the BIOS is not recognizing the SATA unless it is the only one plugged in. When the IDE is plugged in the SATA is ignored. Weird? Or is that normal? Should I just go ahead with the install anyhow, then add on the 40G IDE later? Sounds like it may have complications. Let me know what you think.

I'll have an update tomorrow after I mess around with it again, applying your kind direction, of course. Thank you again.