ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
txs

new gigabyte board failure to post

My main computer with msi mobo croaked, mobo dead after a year and 2 weeks. I bought a gigabyte am3 ga-ma790xud4p mother board. It won't post, it won't even light up the signal led on the monitor. there is no onboard video, tried 2 cards, same result. Sales literature and instruction manual says athlon processors are supported, but I'm wondering. Have athlon 64x2 or fx, can't remember which. Also has a chassis intrusion header, i'm wondering if it needs jumpered if you don't have the case plugged in?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Re: new gigabyte board failure to post

Is your memory compatible with the motherboard?
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
wonderwrench
ABXpert

Does your new board use DDR2 or DDR3? DDR2 board is a GA-MA790X-UD4P. DDR3 board is a GA-MA790XT-UD4P. If it uses DDR3 the board supports AM3 processors only. In this case you need a Phenom II or Athlon II AM3 processor.
Main Box*i7 930 @ 3.5 Ghz*Corsair H60*GA X58A-UD3R R2 FB bios*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD Green WD20EARS 2 TB*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*Corsair AX750 PSU*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

HTPC*Intel Q6600*MSI P35 Neo2-FR*4x2 gig Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800*AX5670 1GBD5-NS3H*WD Blue 320 gig*Samsung HD321KA 320 gig*Lite-On iHES208-08 BR combo drive* Corsair CMPSU-400CX*Win 7 pro 64 bit SP1

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

Last edited by wonderwrench; 07-25-2009 at 08:38 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by txs View Post
... Also has a chassis intrusion header, i'm wondering if it needs jumpered if you don't have the case plugged in?
Why are you wondering about that? You said it was working for a year already... are you wondering because you changed something recently? Did you install/uninstall any hardware? Change any BIOS settings? You mention the CPU, did you change it recently?

Otherwise has the box been moved around recently which could have caused things to come loose? Check the power connections. Check the CPU hasnt become loose from the HSF.

Its possible the power supply has gone MIA. If you have a spare you could try that. If not can you get another power supply from someone to test it... local computer shop might also help with that.

Something else thats easy to do and always worth doing is resetting the CMOS to defaults ... just pull the battery out for a few minutes, put it back and try the boot up again.

I always suspect the power supply first when everything looks to be dead ... CPU second.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 07-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
txs

according to the manual it's ddr2 memory. The old msi board that died didn't have the chasis intrusion header, this new board does. instructions just have where the plug is, no details. I will try gigabytes web site again tomorrow, didn't have much luck with it today. I hope they're better than the last couple places I tried to get any tech support.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
... I bought a gigabyte am3 ga-ma790xud4p mother board. It won't post, ...
man, helps if I read the post correctly... sry...
The chassis intrusion should not make any difference. Typically thats just used to trigger a message from the BIOS, which you might need to clear. I never heard of it stopping a boot. I dont know that board but would be surprised if its got any other functionality than that.

Most likely issue is still the power supply or CPU, as I expect you see some at least some activity with any other scenario.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 07-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
txs

General question, I'm thinking a board should post and you could get into the cmos regardless of what harddrive or other periferals were hooked up or even not plugged in? other than the video card. The literature with this board says delete key is the way into cmos, that doesn't work either. I'm just trying to figure out if this is stupidity on my part or if I trully have a doa board. wish I had a phenom cpu to try, just because the book says athlon processors are supported don't make it so. I just pulled one of the memory sticks out, ocz pc2 6400 1 gig. I'm fairly certain they are not ddr3 sticks. don't know if wrong memory sticks would cause this kind of problem or not.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
txs

sir Skully, like your animation, was just watching a bunch of N&W 611 class videos on youtube couple days ago.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
txs

Okay, I lied, this is not an am3 board it's an am2, there are large #3s all over the front of the manual and in the sales ads I looked at but the fine print in the manual says am2 so my old processor should work. i think I should try another power supply although I have a thermaltake v1 cooler plugged into the mobo and it is spooling up.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Quote:
sir Skully, like your animation, was just watching a bunch of N&W 611 class videos on youtube couple days ago.
Thanks from me and Choo-Choo thanks you also........
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Quote:
Okay, I lied, this is not an am3 board it's an am2, there are large #3s all over the front of the manual and in the sales ads I looked at but the fine print in the manual says am2 so my old processor should work. i think I should try another power supply although I have a thermaltake v1 cooler plugged into the mobo and it is spooling up.
I think if it was me, I'd disconnect everything from the mobo. Leave just the cpu, one stick of memory, in slot 0 or 1 nearest to the cpu, and Video card.
Then see if it will fire into the bios. It would be even better, to pull the motherboard. And place on anti-static bag, maybe the one that came with the mobo.
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

Old 07-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
txs

The board has a bios reset button, think I ought to try that? Also I have a multi meter, any one know what voltages the pins should have on the power supply plugs?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
txs

Thanks for all the input guys, is nice to talk to someone about fubars. SS, isn't a 2 8 0 a mike class loco?
Old 07-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys, is nice to talk to someone about fubars. SS, isn't a 2 8 0 a mike class loco?
Yep, Its a 2-8-2 Mikado class locomotive, because they were made for the Japanese in the 20's. Mostly called Mike or Big Mike.....
Baldwin built a huge number of 4-4-0 American type locomotives, an example of which is the Countess of Dufferin, but was perhaps best known for the 2-8-2 Mikado and 2-8-0 Consolidation types.
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

Old 07-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #15
txs

Another question, if the processor is bad and not the mobo, will it post or let you into cmos? I have a notion to order a cheap phenom to try.