ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
SRTDodge05
Grab Life By The Balls

Intel Discloses New Management Engine Bugs

Between all the new Spectre-class CPU flaws and the bugs the company and other researchers keep finding for its Management Engine (ME) firmware, Intel can't seem to catch a break. Now the company has publicly disclosed two more ME bugs, one of which allows remote code execution on victims’ PCs.

Intel ME Threat
Over the past couple of years, security researchers have taken a significant amount of interest in testing CPUs. Because Intel is the most popular chip maker, it has also become the default research target for most of these researchers. (Although AMD hasn't exactly been ignored.) This is how we’ve finally learned about bugs that have existed in Intel chips for many years, but for which nobody had bothered to look.

Perhaps what started everything was Intel ME, a controversial chip subsystem that has been part of Intel’s chips since 2008. Intel ME became controversial due to its “black box” nature, scaring many privacy-conscious PC users, organizations, and security researchers (including those at Google) with its potential to hide backdoors and bypass all operating system security protections.

Intel sells ME and its Active Management Technology (AMT) firmware as an enterprise feature that makes IT admins’ lives easier, because they can more easily operate machines remotely within the network.

Intel Discloses New Management Engine Bugs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]