ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
jcw122

How did you guys do it?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some assistance on how to get my high school involved with F@H. I have heard that your team's major contributor is actually an entire school district.

I've talked to my SysAdmin and Principal about it, but the major issue is bandwidth, how did you guys manage to deal with that? Thanks.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
h20-ski

Our main contributor visits the forum but does not post that often. Although depending on how many computers the school will be running, the average wu is about 256KB in size while the result could be up to 10MB depending on what wu you get
Old 04-19-2007, 12:56 AM   #3
Protoplasm72
Mmmm..... Folding@Home

You might try posting here http://www.abxzone.com/forums/distri...-edu-news.html to get their attention. I'm sure they could answer your questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Friends, Family, Religion... These are the three demons you must slay in order to succeed in business" C.M. Burns
Old 04-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
VSEKH
Fold for ABX

You can turn off the option to use big work units(greater than 5MB) when the FAH console is configured on the machine so that there will be a lot less network traffic when the proteins are downloaded to the machine and uploaded to the FAH servers.
Folding Rig:Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6, QX9650 cooled with a Zalman 9700NT, Powercolor X300SE, Audigy2zs, 4G DDR2-800 Mushkin memory, Plextor PX-760, Pair of 74GB WD Raptors in Raid0 & Seagate 750GB SATA drives, PC Power & Cooling 610 watt PSU, Coolermaster Cosmos case

Gaming Rig: Asus Maximus Formula SE, Intel QX9650 cooled with a Zalman 9700NT, EVGA 8800GTX, 4GB of GSkill DDR2-1000, Audigy XFi fatality, Samsung 203B, Pair of 150GB WD Raptors in Raid0 & 1TB Hitachi Sata hard drives, PC Power & Cooling 750 watt PSU, Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 case

Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
softball_dude28

Sorry to hash up something several months old... but if your still intrested we could talk about it. We have bandwidth control at the top of our network and we make sure it doesn't get out of control. Unless you are running 100s of machines I don't see it being a big issue. However with 700+ machines... it can add up and would need some mangement to be safe.

--Mike

--- Eastms.edu ---
softball_dude28 , Darth_Opus , Coolpup32 , Hippie
Old 07-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Ozzie
CRS Designee

No need to be sorry bud...I'm hoping he can get some pointers and glad you posted...

Change is the only constant in life