ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-24-2001, 10:40 PM   #1
hnsn82

iso and bootable cd

i just downloaded the two iso's of redhat linux 7.1
i want to make a bootable cd from this iso . how can i do it ?
what are the steps ? i'm using adaptec easy cd creator 4
i'm new at this thing so please bare with me.

any suggestion is appreciated.
thanks
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-24-2001, 11:53 PM   #2
Gorganzola

From what I can remember, go to the File Menu and there should be an option to Create a CD from Image or ISO. Then select the image and proceed as normal.

I wasn't asleep at the switch, I was drunk. -- Homer J. Simpson

Q. How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One.

A very useful tool on these forums:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in public.

Old 07-25-2001, 06:05 PM   #3
hnsn82

i burn the image three times and none of them work !!!
I'm suspecting other optioon such as disk at once, cd rom mode, iso or joliet.. option that has to be set such that i can make this thing works
anyone willing to gv\ive me detailed instructions
Old 07-25-2001, 06:49 PM   #4
Gorganzola

The person that created the image file will have determined whether it is in the ISO9600 or the Joliet format. As for the setting to burn the ISO, all you have to do is make sure you select DAO (disk-at-once). If you select TAO (track-at-once) then make sure you have closed the session. Although I cannot say whether or an image burnt as TAO and is closed will work or not. I always use DAO. If you didn't close the TAO session, then try closing it. Then maybe the CD's will work.

There are also a few other things to consider. Are you burning the CD and then trying it in your normal CD-ROM or DVD? If so, are either of these capable of reading CDR's? If you have burnt the CD's and have not closed the session then you should be able to read them still in the burner. Your CD or DVD drive may not be able to read multisession CD's.

A. One.

You can
in public.

Old 07-26-2001, 06:30 AM   #5
ShaMan_abx
No Expert - No Guru

The ISO image of CD 1 for Hat 7.1 IS BOOTABLE. Make sure the ISO image is not corrupted, check the MD5 output of your image against the one posted at the Hat FTP site.

If, you're using Easy CD Creator, you should simply need to CLICK on the ISO files and it should open Easy CD Creator automatically, the defaults should be fine to burn the image.

Remember, you HAVE TO set the BIOS to BOOT from the CDROM drive, you achieve this by making the CDROM drive the #1 choice on the 4 item list, under BOOT in the BIOS. Use the -/+ keys to move the CDROM drive to the #1 spot, exit saving the changes and you will be given the choice to boot from the CDROM and 10 secs to decide.

Good luck.

Last edited by ShaMan_abx; 07-26-2001 at 07:35 AM..
Old 07-27-2001, 12:58 AM   #6
hnsn82

thanks shaman and gorganzola, your reply was helpfullm but i still can get the cd to boot....
i have few question regarding the issue, how do i check that the iso file is not corrupted ?
and when i burn the cd i saw another two options which are mode1: CD-ROM
mode2 : CD-ROM XA
is that really matter if so which should i choose ???

and about the capability of my cd/dvd rom to read the burn cd i think that ok , because they can see the iso file in the cd in the windows explorer. is that the sign that they are capable of reading it ???

okay , thanks for reading my long post.
i appreciate the help..
Old 07-27-2001, 03:49 AM   #7
Gorganzola

To check the ISO you have to get a little programme called MD5SUM. You can read a bit about it and get the file here:

http://www.linuxiso.org/md5sum.html

Just download it and type in MD5SUM <filename>. For example, MD5SUM seawolf-i386-disc1.iso. It will return a long string. For the particular file I used in the example it was edc2d5e1ab6093e3d486cc38dc12511a. However, yours may not be this exactly. You have to open the file called MD5SUM and check the string next to the filename. If it matches what the programme returned then the image is just fine.

I am not sure where you downloaded your images from but here is a place I like to go:

ftp://sunsite.ualberta.ca/pub/Linux/...1/en/iso/i386/

As for which mode to burn choose mode1. It will give you greater compatibility with most CD/DVD drives.

If your CD/DVD drive can read the contents of the CD, that is, you can can view the contents of the CD in Windows Explorer then the drive should be fine for reading CD-R's.

Next comes the BIOS. Make sure your CD-ROM is the top most boot device in the BIOS. Also, assuming you have an IDE CD/DVD drive and an IDE CD burner, which one is set to master? Make sure you put the CD in the one that is set to master. Have you tried booting with the CD in both drives or just the one?

A. One.

You can
in public.

Old 07-27-2001, 10:32 AM   #8
hnsn82

i got mine from ftp.redhat.com
already download the md5sum and check my iso , it returned some long string. i'm not sure about what you said in

>> You have to open the file called MD5SUM and check the string next to the filename. If it matches what the programme returned then the image is just fine. <<

you mean i have to do it another way around which is md5sum "string i got " if so i already tried it and it won't do it , it says invalid file name
now i'm trying to find the md5sum string of th iso at redhat.com

sorry if my question sounds lame, but i really don't understand.

thanks for helping

Last edited by hnsn82; 07-27-2001 at 11:05 AM..
Old 07-27-2001, 11:22 AM   #9
hnsn82

i found the md5sum of the iso and cheked that with md5sum from the ftp.redhat.com with md5sum -c md5sum
and turns out that both my isos are ok.
but still yet i can't boot from the cd, i alredy disable all boot devices and only enable the cd-rom and when it boots it says "boot disk failed enter sytem disk and pres enter "

any suggestion ...
Old 07-27-2001, 12:26 PM   #10
Gorganzola

This is very strange. Have you any other CD's that are bootable? Do they boot? Perhaps your Windows CD is bootable. Some of the Windows 98 SE ones are, as are the Windows ME and Windows 2000 ones. Try it and see what happens. If they do not boot then perhaps it is a configuration problem and not a problem of the CD, assuming the CD you try is in fact bootable.

BTW, you do not have to disable all other boot devices. Just put them in a workable order, something like:

Floppy
CD-ROM
Hard Drive

This way if you put a floppy in you can still boot from it but if there is no floppy in the drive and a CD in the CD-ROM it will boot from it and then of course, if nothing is in the floppy or the hard drive it will boot from the hard drive.

Please make sure that the CD your are using was in fact made from the first ISO. This may seem silly but sometimes we miss label discs. I have done it in the past and it has driven me nuts, until I figured it out.

A. One.

You can
in public.

Old 07-27-2001, 05:44 PM   #11
hnsn82

yeah my system does boot from the cd , i was using redhat linux 6.0 installation disk which i borrow from the libarry and it worked
like a charm , i'm gonna try and burn one more iso 1 and see if it works now.
thanks for the suggestion
Old 07-27-2001, 06:00 PM   #12
ShaMan_abx
No Expert - No Guru

If:

#1 You're using a good (non-corrupted) ISO image to burn from.
#2 You're burning the image of CD1.
#3 You're burning the image correctly.
#4 You're BIOS device to boot from is set accordingly.
#5 You can boot from another bootable CD (i.e. Win98/WinME/W2K, etc).

Then, it is possible the drive can not read all the necessary boot information, due to the boot image being larger than what the drive can handle, this is not unheard of. However, the Hat 7.x distro is within the reasonable range for the average CD reader.

Some DVD drives do not do well when it comes to reading CD's and/or certain types of CD's and/or info on the same.

Trust this helps, good luck.
Old 07-27-2001, 06:01 PM   #13
hnsn82

no luck...
i have already burnt 5 cd and none o them will boot
can i install redhat 7.1 from harddrive with this image file ???
if so how ?
because if i use the boot image and boot from floppy when redhat ask for the rpm and i point my cdrom it says it cann't find it
any suggestion over here...
Old 07-27-2001, 06:13 PM   #14
ShaMan_abx
No Expert - No Guru

YES, starting with Hat 7.1, you CAN install straight from the ISO images.

Just COPY the ISO images to CD's or install from the Hard Drive.

You will NEED to make an installation floppy boot disk, since you won't have the bootable CD to work from, you can READ about this at the Hat site.

If, you have made a good burn of the ISO's, you can also use the installation floppy boot disk to install from the CD's.

Good luck.

Last edited by ShaMan_abx; 07-27-2001 at 06:31 PM..
Old 07-27-2001, 07:43 PM   #15
hnsn82

yeah i already make a boot disk from the boot.img using rawwrite and i was able to boot to the linux installation.
when the installer ask the redhat file i point to the local cd-rom , but it keeps saying that it can not found redhat files in the local cd-rom.
btw, the cd contains the burn of the iso file.

i'm getting irritated about this problem , any help