ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-31-2001, 06:11 AM   #1
ShaMan_abx
No Expert - No Guru

Exclamation NEW RedHat Security Updates Issued

May be old news to some, but perhaps not others.

Check out the updates here:

RedHat Security Errata Section

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-07-2001, 02:50 PM   #2
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

And people wonder why I like Slackware. :/

Read the 'About Slack' section at: http://www.linuxmafia.org/

However, I will soon give Red Hat another try. So far, for the rpm distros, I still prefer SuSE. Curious to see if Red Hat has improved from what it was two years ago.

One major pro with Slack is the file structure is one of the closest to Unix file structures out there.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 08:30 AM   #3
ShaMan_abx
No Expert - No Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by pointreyes
And people wonder why I like Slackware. :/
I wouldn't wonder at all, I like slackware, as a matter of fact, I got a box running it. However, as with most anything else, it has pros/cons, weak/strong points, and therefore, as with most else in life, it's far from perfect. Same applies to all other distros, as well.

Quote:
Read the 'About Slack' section at: http://www.linuxmafia.org/
Without going into details, since I for one don't pocket anything either way, I will just say this, some of the comments made are reasonably accurate, some are not, some are just basically his opinion, and as we all know, opinions are like butts, everyone has one. Then again, this is my opinion <G>.

Last I heard, Linus Torvalds uses RedHat, now this doesn't mean a heck of a lot to me personally, but a lot of people would be of the opinion that, if RedHat is good enough for the guy who created Linux, it's good enough for them too.

Quote:
However, I will soon give Red Hat another try. So far, for the rpm distros, I still prefer SuSE. Curious to see if Red Hat has improved from what it was two years ago.
You might like the new Hat distro, it has some things I don't like and some I do. I personally do not like SuSe, but that's my opinion.

Overall, both Hat and SuSe are not bad distros and they get the job done, they can be legally acquired FREE and as I always say, you can't beat FREE with a stick.

Quote:
One major pro with Slack is the file structure is one of the closest to Unix file structures out there.
This is true, but the market share most of the Linux distros are going after is the Windows user and the average Windows user isn't going to know that or care.

Only the people that used REAL UNIX OS's will know the differences and appreciate or not the changes. I run Sparc boxes with SunOS, Solaris, etc. When I want to have a true REAL UNIX working environment, I go to the Sparc boxes, everything else is a placebo.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:17 PM   #4
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Sadly, Red Hat could not even get past initial checking of the system (kernel panic). Not a problem for SuSE or Slack. I like SuSE for two reasons - 1) Oracle supports SuSE (Red Hat lost face with Oracle); 2) I like the way YaST installs the rpms.

My favorite distro is not even Linux - its BSD based - FreeBSD (hence the little red devil I use for my image on these posts). It is sad that FreeBSD and Slack have parted ways but at least Slack is still using the BSD structure.

Yeah, I agree with you about opinions (its just that there seems to be many people that claim the security of Slack - makes you wonder if they are Red Hat dislikers or are being truly serious about the security).

So, I use (rather will be using) SuSE for Oracle 9i; Slack for non-database fun. FreeBSD just because I like it and for testing code done in Linux and for understanding what appears to be stricter adherence to the Unix flavored OSes (plus, I cannot afford a sparc - nor do I have the room for one). Solaris sounds like a nighmare to install on the x86 platform.
Old 08-09-2001, 07:00 AM   #5
ShaMan_abx
No Expert - No Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by pointreyes
Sadly, Red Hat could not even get past initial checking of the system (kernel panic). Not a problem for SuSE or Slack. I like SuSE for two reasons - 1) Oracle supports SuSE (Red Hat lost face with Oracle); 2) I like the way YaST installs the rpms.
Sorry to hear Hat bombed out on you. Just out of curiousity, what system were you trying to install it on?

A friend of mine tried to install SuSe 7.x on a Dell Dimension M200a with a 3GHz Quantum Fireball and a 1.2 GHz WD Caviar, Diamond Stealth VidCard, 8x CD-ROM, etc. Nothing fancy, it's a kick around test machine, he tried EVERYTHING and then some to install SuSe and it would have a kernel panic, among other things, and die. This guy is no newbie either, so I do believe his story. When he tried Hat 7.x it went smooth as pie, goes to show, one can never be too sure about these things.

Quote:
My favorite distro is not even Linux - its BSD based - FreeBSD (hence the little red devil I use for my image on these posts). It is sad that FreeBSD and Slack have parted ways but at least Slack is still using the BSD structure.
I hear you, FreeBSD is cool, I use it from time to time.

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you about opinions (its just that there seems to be many people that claim the security of Slack - makes you wonder if they are Red Hat dislikers or are being truly serious about the security).
I know exactly what you mean, in the end, the best anyone can do is research, research, research, try it out for yourself and go with what works the best for you.

Quote:
So, I use (rather will be using) SuSE for Oracle 9i; Slack for non-database fun. FreeBSD just because I like it and for testing code done in Linux and for understanding what appears to be stricter adherence to the Unix flavored OSes (plus, I cannot afford a sparc - nor do I have the room for one). Solaris sounds like a nighmare to install on the x86 platform.
Sounds like a plan. If, you're into Oracle 9i then SuSe is a reasonable choice. Solaris x86 can and most often WILL be a nightmare, technically it should take (depending on your CPU, CD-ROM, Hdd speed, etc) about 30+ minutes to do a clean install plus another 30+ minutes or so for the initial probes and configurations, etc. However, upgrades can take 3 hours or more, this is because the system must determine what critical configuration data must be saved and replace it on a per-package basis, all this is of course assuming no problems are encountered (remember murphy's law though).
Old 08-09-2001, 02:52 PM   #6
pointreyes

Quote:
Originally posted by ShaMan

Sorry to hear Hat bombed out on you. Just out of curiousity, what system were you trying to install it on?

A friend of mine tried to install SuSe 7.x on a Dell Dimension M200a with a 3GHz Quantum Fireball and a 1.2 GHz WD Caviar, Diamond Stealth VidCard, 8x CD-ROM, etc. Nothing fancy, it's a kick around test machine, he tried EVERYTHING and then some to install SuSe and it would have a kernel panic, among other things, and die. This guy is no newbie either, so I do believe his story. When he tried Hat 7.x it went smooth as pie, goes to show, one can never be too sure about these things.

Interesting. I have an IWill KK266R (Via KT133A chipset) with 1 IBM 75GXP 45.2 Gig (Master) and 1 IBM 60GXP 40 Gig (Slave) on IDE0. On IDE1 I have a Plextor 8/4/32 CD-R as Primary. Using an Athlon 1.2Gig with 512 Meg of Corsair TrueCAS 2 PC-133 RAM - no oc'ing. Enermax 431W ps. ATI Radeon 64Meg DDR VIVO, SB!Live MP3+, Lucent Win Modem, USR Courier v.Everything External Modem (Canadian edition cannot work faster than 33.6K).

Before that I was using a CUSL2 with 256Meg of PC-133 RAM at CAS 2-2-2 Timings 5/7. on the IBM 45.2 Gig was on the IDE0, and the Plextor was the same as previous configuration. The cpu PIII-800E was oc'ed to 904. Antec 300W ps. All other components same as above.

USB Printer (Epson 777) and scanner (Microtek SlimScan C6) are kept off during installation.

Never had a problem install SuSE on either of these configurations. I think that the SuSE 7.1 kernel for installation is 2.2.19. Could the kernel be the problem? I think RedHat 7.1 might be 2.4 but not sure. I install SuSE with 2.4.0 (when I get to the option of selecting the kernel) then I upgrade to the 2.4.4 kernel for Oracle.

Also, I build all the partitions before installation using either PartitionMagic 6.0 or DriveWorks. In the case of SuSE, Oracle 'demands' a min of 512 Meg of RAM and a swap file as least double the RAM.
Old 08-10-2001, 04:30 AM   #7
ShaMan_abx
No Expert - No Guru

Heh, "3GHz Quantum Fireball and a 1.2 GHz WD" ?

I must have been day dreaming about CPUs <G>

It's possible the no go SuSe install was due to the kernel, anything is possible until proven otherwise, but I don't tend to think so. The Hat 7.0 distro was roughly the same kernel version as SuSe 7.0, and Hat 7.0 installed fine for him.

Yes, Hat 7.1 is kernel 2.4.x and it also installed without problems for this bud, SuSe 7.1 bombed out also on the same box, he can't figure it out and I personally haven't tried installing SuSe on his box yet. I suppose, I will get curious enough eventually, to see if I can figure out what the prob for him was/is.

Anyhow, got to get going now, good crossing type with you.

Take care.