ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
SRTDodge05
Grab Life By The Balls

Kernel-memory-leaking Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign

Updated A fundamental design flaw in Intel's processor chips has forced a significant redesign of the Linux and Windows kernels to defang the chip-level security bug.

Programmers are scrambling to overhaul the open-source Linux kernel's virtual memory system. Meanwhile, Microsoft is expected to publicly introduce the necessary changes to its Windows operating system in an upcoming Patch Tuesday: these changes were seeded to beta testers running fast-ring Windows Insider builds in November and December.

Crucially, these updates to both Linux and Windows will incur a performance hit on Intel products. The effects are still being benchmarked, however we're looking at a ballpark figure of five to 30 per cent slow down, depending on the task and the processor model. More recent Intel chips have features such as PCID to reduce the performance hit. Your mileage may vary.

Kernel-memory-leaking Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign • The Register

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
fvbounty

Re: Kernel-memory-leaking Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign

Should of got a Threadripper!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
SRTDodge05
Grab Life By The Balls

Intel Disputes CPU Bug Claims

Intel's stock took a pounding this morning as reports of a fatal bug inside the company's processors swept the web. We cautioned that many of the performance claims felt a bit overblown, and in fact, testing with the patched Windows operating systems emerged over the last few hours. Those preliminary tests reveal that there is little to no performance regression in most desktop workloads, with synthetic I/O tests inflating the issue.

Intel's silence on the "bug" was deafening over the last 24 hours as the story unfolded, but now the company has issued a statement that contends there is, in fact, no bug at all. The company claims the issue affects many other vendors and is not inherent to Intel architectures. Below is Intel's statement in full:

Old 01-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
Sandog
CLUB ROG VI APEX

Re: Kernel-memory-leaking Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign

I think your jumping pretty early aren't you FVB? Besides, 25% slower is still faster than AMD lol.
Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i9-7900X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz C16 CMD32GX4M4C3200C16-ROG / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Samsung 850 Pro SATA 1TB / Ducky Shine 3 YOTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS OC Panel / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

Old 01-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
Sandog
CLUB ROG VI APEX

Re: Intel Disputes CPU Bug Claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTDodge05 View Post
Intel's stock took a pounding this morning as reports of a fatal bug inside the company's processors swept the web. We cautioned that many of the performance claims felt a bit overblown, and in fact, testing with the patched Windows operating systems emerged over the last few hours. Those preliminary tests reveal that there is little to no performance regression in most desktop workloads, with synthetic I/O tests inflating the issue.

Intel's silence on the "bug" was deafening over the last 24 hours as the story unfolded, but now the company has issued a statement that contends there is, in fact, no bug at all. The company claims the issue affects many other vendors and is not inherent to Intel architectures. Below is Intel's statement in full:

Reminds me of how Apple says they are more secure than Windows years ago. Well that's because Windows is 99% of world use and they are bigger targets.
Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i9-7900X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz C16 CMD32GX4M4C3200C16-ROG / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Samsung 850 Pro SATA 1TB / Ducky Shine 3 YOTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS OC Panel / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
I think your jumping pretty early aren't you FVB? Besides, 25% slower is still faster than AMD lol.
I couldn't be more happy with my rig Sandog, just like you!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #7
Sandog
CLUB ROG VI APEX

It does not read like a hardware/architecture flaw. It reads like a vulnerability and those will always come to light. I am sure my CPU will continue to get high CPU scores and run solitaire lol.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
fvbounty

This sounds like a perfect time for a class action lawsuit!

Old 01-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
SRTDodge05
Grab Life By The Balls

Intel Issues Meltdown, Spectre Patches For Newer CPUs

This could mean that a significant portion of the Intel CPUs out there will be left vulnerable to attacks, as most people refresh their computers after five years.

Desktop, Laptop, and Cloud computers may be affected by Meltdown. More technically, every Intel processor which implements out-of-order execution is potentially affected, which is effectively every processor since 1995 (except Intel Itanium and Intel Atom before 2013). We successfully tested Meltdown on Intel processor generations released as early as 2011. Currently, we have only verified Meltdown on Intel processors. At the moment, it is unclear whether ARM and AMD processors are also affected by Meltdown.

The Google researchers also said that Spectre affects virtually all CPUs, including those from Intel, AMD, and ARM.

Intel Issues Meltdown, Spectre Patches For Newer CPUs

Old 01-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I'm really concerned about the performance hit of the patch.
I run a Q9650 (Yorkfield) and while I'm very happy with performance, its older architecture and the patch could degrade performance significantly
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 01-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #11
fvbounty

Yeah you pay for a 4ghz cpu and get a 2.8 ghz cpu....where do i file my claim....lol...

Old 01-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #12
fvbounty

Here's a video of the MS patch and the difference in benchmarks before and after the patch...make a long story short the guys here aren't going to be affected much...the Patch is available now or just wait to next Tuesday for the patch.

YouTube

Last edited by fvbounty; 01-04-2018 at 09:45 PM..
Old 01-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #13
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
Here's a video of the MS patch and the difference before and after the patch...make a long story short the guys here aren't going to be affected much...the Patch is available now or just wait to next Tuesday for the patch.

YouTube
That helps, but I guess I wont know if theres any noticeable impact on my old rig until I install the patch.

That 4k 23% read issue that this guy noticed will be a significant step backwards for many applications that are dependant on storage I/O, which could be a whole range of web services that we rely on these days.

Recent security holes are revealing something interesting; it seems that sometimes there can be a very long lag time between a new feature being rolled out and a related vulnerability being discovered.
While that may seem obvious I wonder if industry should be testing more robustly whenever changes are made to critical infrastructure, like CPU's.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 01-05-2018, 02:33 AM   #14
GWillakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
I'm really concerned about the performance hit of the patch.
I run a Q9650 (Yorkfield) and while I'm very happy with performance, its older architecture and the patch could degrade performance significantly
From what I can surmise, Intel is comming out with a patch for ivybridge and later. Your yorkfield will remain vunerable to nucleus snooping by malware.
Note while the linux software is open source, the fix is not commented.
Thus not something a typical cellar dwelling hacker could exploit.
China and NK another story.
Internet/Gaming ASUS P9X79 WS/BIOS 4802/Intel XEON E5-1650 V2 3.5GHz (4.4 GHz O/C) 6 Core/12 Thread - 12MB L3/Intel Stock AC Cooler/Antec P180 case/Thermaltake Smart M 850W PSU/4x8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I/PNY GTX 1070 8GB graphics card/System drive Samsung 850 Pro 512GB/Data drives Intel 520 series 240GB/Intel X25-M 80GB/Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

WorkStation SuperMicro X9SRA BIOS 3.2/Intel XEON E5-2687W 8C/16T (3.1 GHz -3.8GHz) 20MB cache/Noctua NH-U12S/ASUS GTX 970 STRIX graphics card/Thermaltake core X5 EATX Case/Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU/4x8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I/System drive Samsung 850 Pro 512GB /2x Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001/1 TB Seagate/Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old 01-05-2018, 06:15 AM   #15
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWillakers View Post
From what I can surmise, Intel is comming out with a patch for ivybridge and later. Your yorkfield will remain vunerable to nucleus snooping by malware.
Note while the linux software is open source, the fix is not commented.
Thus not something a typical cellar dwelling hacker could exploit.
China and NK another story.
I dk, there isn't much in the way of clear information coming from Intel atm.
Actually, it seems their first instinct was to downplay it.
I've heard talk the patches will go back several generations, but some architecture may be affected worse than others due to varying technologies that are implemented in the different CPU families.

"You Cannot Hide..."