ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Whammamoosha
Airborne Gadget Snatcher

Angry Carrier privilege overkill

Here's the list of privileges my carriers's SIMcard app is granted in my GS3 (GT-I9300, retail):

Yesterday the SIMcard app took my phone out of sleep, in the middle of the night, and planted a service offer dialog, bottomed by two big buttons, ACCEPT / CANCEL, right thru my lock screen, quite dimly. It wouldn't go back to sleep before I'd hit the CANCEL button.

This also happened to my daughter's iPhone (same carrier, VIVO), and ended up draining her battery almost completely by the morning.

Hadn't I noticed that, I could end up buying some service I didn't want, by accidentally touching the ACCEPT button.

How come something like that happens? There's no way to disable the app (disable button in app manager is grayed out).

Is there a way to get around this without rooting? I'd rather keep my phone a sandbox as it is.
Attached Images
File Type: png VIVO Chip.png (184.8 KB, 37 views)
Cosmic by goal.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Carrier privilege overkill

That really sucks! The owner of the phone should akways have control over apps. This reminds me of DVD/BR players that dont let you skip previews. Just plain rude.

Big issue IMO is our lack of control over how our apps connect to the web and what data they transport. Many times i've installed a useful app only to discover it wants to phone home or point me to additional services i dont want.

Have you tried asking your carrier if theres an opt-out option?
I'd be interested to know if your agreement with them included allowing them to do this?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 08-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Whammamoosha
Airborne Gadget Snatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
Have you tried asking your carrier if theres an opt-out option?
I'd be interested to know if your agreement with them included allowing them to do this?
No opt-out option, as in Brazil there are NO CONTRACTS to be signed when one applies to a prepay line. The agreement is the law, and the law is negligent regarding this (the last amendment came probably before smartphones were there).

Looks like I'll have to build an AOSP 4.3 port to my GS3 if none come out:

Android 4.3 Includes Hidden App Permissions Manager That Could Bolster Privacy Security | TechCrunch
Cosmic by goal.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Whammamoosha
Airborne Gadget Snatcher

Can somebody post his/her SIMcard app's privileges here for comparing?

Thanks in advance!
Cosmic by goal.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Darren Wilson

Time to change carriers if that is the case! If any UK networks done that over here, they would have no customers left very fast!
Intel i7 4770K (3.9GHz@26C Idle/38C Load with Corsair H55 Cooler) | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | 32GB Corsair XMS DDR3-10666 | Asus GT640 2GB DDR3 PCI-Ex16 | CoolerMaster Silencio 650 Case | Samsung 24" 1920x1080 LED Monitor x2 | Plextor BD-R PX-B950SA | 2 x Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB (RAID0) | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB SSHD (in hot swap dock) | Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Kbd & Mouse | Harman Kardon Soundsticks III | Microsoft Surface RT 32GB | HP Pavillion DV7 i7/8GB/1TB/17.3" Screen Notebook & Microsoft Arc Touch Desktop | HP Laserjet Pro MFP-M276n | Acer Aspire 6930G C2D/4G/64GB Corsair SSD/18.4" Screen Laptop
Old 11-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Wilson View Post
Time to change carriers if that is the case! If any UK networks done that over here, they would have no customers left very fast!
We have less competition in the US, IIRC. And it worse then that since AT&T and Verizon have the most towers by far and form, essentially, a duopoly. Cable is better, but the bulk of customers are split between Comcast and Time Warner.