ABXZone Computer  Forums

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for using this site?
I don't want to pay 120 35.71%
$5 / year 27 8.04%
$10 / year 39 11.61%
$20 / year 78 23.21%
$50+ / year 11 3.27%
$1 / month 5 1.49%
$2 / month 6 1.79%
$3 / month 3 0.89%
$5+ / month 17 5.06%
I'd prefer PayPal links 30 8.93%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2001, 01:38 PM   #1
StarTraveller
Retired Modder

Please choose the option for the maximum amount you'd be willing to pay and also show whether you'd prefer monthly or yearly subscription.

Hey people

We're of course discussing how we can keep the site running and we'd like some input on to what extent the members would be willing to pay for using the site.

We'd like to keep the subscription optional and we're looking into providing some additional benefits for paying members. I can't make any promises, but we should be able to come up with something other than the goodwill and thanks .

Finally, I'd like to encourage EVERYONE to participate in this poll. We're as always listening to what the members want and this time it's very important that the solution match your wishes!

PS: Please note that this is only one of the options we're considering. We're still only uncovering the available options .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(in Danish) about a method for evaluating teaching. An
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
of the web site is also available.

- see Computers for current setup! Well, it used to be current... Right now, my primary computer is a ThinkPad T43p 2668-H7U upgraded to 2 GB RAM

Motto: If it is worth doing then it is worth doing right!
Caution: The light at the end of a tunnel may be an oncoming train...

Last edited by StarTraveller; 11-08-2001 at 02:10 PM..
(Offline)  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-08-2001, 01:58 PM   #2
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Good poll - even though I could pay monthly or PayPal also.

Good choice by CJ on the doubleclick-banners (they are as respectable as an ad-company can be in my book ). I used to have the opt-out cookie, but I removed it since it may interfere with getting money for my clicks. (I'm so bland and boring the DoubleClick-people probably doze off when reading about me anyway ).

As far as I'm concerned, the PayPal-account could be opened anyway. Even if it generates only small amounts, at least it's more than now.

-kONGO
(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 02:00 PM   #3
Ed_abx

I prefer to pay monthly $5.00 a month don't sound bad compared to $60.00 a year

Peace
Ed
(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 02:13 PM   #4
Gorganzola

Just happened to have a look at the way Tom's Hardware Guide layed out thing for their advertisers.

You can check it out here:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/site/me...formation.html

One idea I got from them is that we could start an e-mail newsletter and sell advertising space in it. I would be willing to put my e-mail address to subscribe to a newsletter from asusboards.com. Wouldn't really care what was in it so long as it started raising funds. Of course it should be voluntary.

I wasn't asleep at the switch, I was drunk. -- Homer J. Simpson

Q. How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One.

A very useful tool on these forums:

You can
in public.

(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 02:21 PM   #5
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

The problem with hosting/selling advertising specifically for this site is that the customers must be sure they are getting what they pay for. That means all kinds of contracts, logs and stuff that would take even more time out of CJ's schedule, so unfortunately I don't think it'll work out. I think the banner-hosting ad-companies is the only way to go when it comes to ads.

-kONGO
(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 02:38 PM   #6
Ozzie
CRS Designee

It sounds to me like it's a choice between a FEW pop-ups and/or some type of subscription...I think the method of voluntarily clicking doesn't seem to be working well enough because those that do click can't compensate for those that don't.

If CJ could establish a point where everyone could deal with it - like a pop-up every so many clicks that may be enough to keep everybody happy.
Subscription base would require enough members to contribute to make it fly - and be tough getting new members as ST already said. There MUST be a happy medium somewhere...

Change is the only constant in life

(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 04:05 PM   #7
Gorganzola

I am just curious how many people are under the impression that the whole point of this Forum is for people to come here and get help specifically with ASUS manufactured motherboards.

I realise that this is a big part of the Forum but it seems to be that this stigma may be keep others from joining up and stopping to see that there are others areas in which they can gain knowledge and participate.

A. One.

You can
in public.

(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 04:39 PM   #8
TeeDeck

Let's see.....If i smoke 10 less packs of smoke a year, two less dozen beers (would help the diet) and just a few bucks more just cuz this site is "THE BEST", period....I don't think that 50 bucks or more for a year's subscription doesn't sound all too bad.

I understand that not everyone can afford that but again, I suggest that if there is a subscription format, maybe allow some of us who can afford to "donate" anything extra the option to do so.

I value the info and the thoughts of everyone on here. I go to other forums but I get 99% of the info I need from all you pc maniacs.

Did I hear..."Asusboard Rules"
Old 11-08-2001, 04:58 PM   #9
dddibley
Time well wasted

The vote count should be interesting in itself. Lots of members, but how many regulars?

ddd
(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 05:20 PM   #10
StarTraveller
Retired Modder

I think we have a lot of silent members. By that I mean members who roam the forums, but hardly ever posts. I definitely get your point, though. Sometimes it does feel like it's the same people talking all the time .

I don't know if the silent members would welcome the subscription idea and that's why I encourage everyone to participate in this poll.

Maybe I should stress again that so far we've only discussed voluntary subscription. The main reason for using subscription rather than PayPal links would be the possibility of providing something special for the members willing to support the site financially.

Also, so far it looks like I was being too modest when choosing amounts for the poll .

I agree that a combination of voluntary subscription and PayPal links might be exactly the right combination. Then each member could choose what he/she is most comfortable with.

We're still exploring other options, though, so it might not be necessary. It's good to know, however, that so many members are ready support the site financially .

Oops, forgot to mark this one . My 1800th post .
(in Danish) about a method for evaluating teaching. An
of the web site is also available.

- see Computers for current setup! Well, it used to be current... Right now, my primary computer is a ThinkPad T43p 2668-H7U upgraded to 2 GB RAM

Motto: If it is worth doing then it is worth doing right!
Caution: The light at the end of a tunnel may be an oncoming train...
(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 05:39 PM   #11
Ozzie
CRS Designee

Excellent points...one would have to assume the folks just stopping by aren't visiting the advertisers on a regular basis to help support the site.
Having a couple pop-ups at the beginning would give CJ a big boost right there.

The regulars here are what make the forum special - maybe not the largest group around, but what we have here is unlike other forums and nobody wants to lose it.

Special enough that the site has tripled in what, 6-7 months?

It would be interesting to see how many would be willing...it wouldn't take much if we could get participation in it.

Last edited by Ozzie; 11-08-2001 at 06:03 PM..
(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 05:48 PM   #12
Gorganzola

If there was a couple pop ups for the main page that would not bother me at all. What really gets me and others is that when you are surfing through the boards you get popups thrown at you every time you go forward or back.

Ideally, it would be nice that the site log the IP of the user who visited already once within a 12 hour window so that the next time the user visited within that 12 hour window they wouldn't be bothered with another popup.

A. One.

You can
in public.

(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 06:02 PM   #13
Ozzie
CRS Designee

What we went thru last nite wasn't intentional...what a ride that was!
I don't know if CJ can have any control over the ip thing, although I think it would be a GREAT idea...

(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 06:10 PM   #14
JoeFrat
Registered

Well I for one can tell you I hate pop ups. I'd much rather pay a yearly subscription of 30-50 dollars than deal wth pop-ups, but that's just me. I don't think you can ask for a subscription fee and have pop-ups, to me that's rude, so what do you do?
Is there a way to have pop-ups for non members only? If so that might work. That could be part of the reward for being a paying member, along with any other special stuff you mods come up with. To me some amount of money is worth it, as we all have learned and been helped out of a jam a time or two here.
(Offline)  
Old 11-08-2001, 06:46 PM   #15
Protoplasm72
Mmmm..... Folding@Home

I'd be willing to pay at least $20 a year. After all, that is less than I pay for magazine subscriptions. This site is certainly more useful than any computer magazine I get. And how often do you get to ask a question in a magazine. You also usually only get one point of view in magazine.

What exactly is a PayPal link?

"Friends, Family, Religion... These are the three demons you must slay in order to succeed in business" C.M. Burns
(Offline)