ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
yabbadoo
Banned

Clearing the Pagefile on Shutdown

Go to :-
How to Clear the Windows Paging File at Shutdown

Basically it is :-

Some third-party programs can temporarily store unencrypted (plain-text) passwords or other sensitive information in memory. Because of the Windows virtual memory architecture, this information can be present in the paging file.

Although clearing the paging file is not a suitable substitute for physical security of a computer, you might want to do this to increase the security of data on a computer while Windows is not running.

There is a tiny automatic program as described in the link, but to do this yourself :-

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Change the data value of the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value in the following registry key to a value of 1:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
If the value does not exist, add the following value:
Value Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

This change does not take effect until you restart the computer.

It works perfectly and there is no problem stepping down the Registry Editor listing to find the keyword and insert "1".

Although the Pagefile size is the same, it is an empty box with nothing in it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
GWillakers

Re: Clearing the Pagefile on Shutdown

You probably will notice an increase in shutdown time, especially if the pagefile is on a HDD.

If the pagefile is on an SSD, consider the additional wear on the drive.
Clearing an 8GB pagefile and you clear 8GB's of space on the SSD.

But in actuallity, if it is on an SSD,You won't be clearing the cells of the memory, but rather initializing new cells to 0 and marking the old ones as available.
Internet/Gaming ASUS P9X79 WS/BIOS 4802/Intel XEON E5-1650 V2 3.5GHz (4.4 GHz O/C) 6 Core/12 Thread - 12MB L3/Intel Stock AC Cooler/Antec P180 case/Thermaltake Smart M 850W PSU/4x8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I/PNY GTX 1070 8GB graphics card/System drive Samsung 850 Pro 512GB/Data drives Intel 520 series 240GB/Intel X25-M 80GB/Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

WorkStation SuperMicro X9SRA BIOS 3.2/Intel XEON E5-2687W 8C/16T (3.1 GHz -3.8GHz) 20MB cache/Noctua NH-U12S/ASUS GTX 970 STRIX graphics card/Thermaltake core X5 EATX Case/Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU/4x8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I/System drive Samsung 850 Pro 512GB /2x Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001/1 TB Seagate/Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
yabbadoo
Banned

Re: Clearing the Pagefile on Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWillakers View Post
You probably will notice an increase in shutdown time, especially if the pagefile is on a HDD.

If the pagefile is on an SSD, consider the additional wear on the drive.
Clearing an 8GB pagefile and you clear 8GB's of space on the SSD.

But in actuallity, if it is on an SSD,You won't be clearing the cells of the memory, but rather initializing new cells to 0 and marking the old ones as available.
Hi GW, thanks for the post.

You will see from the Link I gave that it is a Microsoft Support proposal. They actually advise it is a good thing to do, so I see absolutely no problems.

Whilst user comments are always welcome, that is the purpose of posting, if Microsoft advise that clearing the Pagefile on shutdown is advisable for the reasons they state, then as far as I am concerned and hopefully all other readers, it is an unquestionably "All systems go" matter.

I have had the Pagefile cleared on shutdown for years now, with no problems whatsoever and the added comfort that with an empty box, no pilfering can occur.