ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 05-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
bobmitch

New VPNFilter Malware...Beware!!!

Cisco's Talos Intelligence Group Blog: New VPNFilter malware targets at least 500K networking devices worldwide

Long read...but important! One way to clear it is to reboot your router...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
fvbounty

Re: New VPNFilter Malware...Beware!!!

Thanks for the heads up, doesn't seem my Eero router is affected and with the auto updates I get there security team seems on the ball.
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

well I've updated my firmware, fingers crossed
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 05-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
bobmitch

The management at Netgear gave some sound advice. Think it can apply across all brands:

-- Netgear --
NETGEAR is aware of a piece of malware called VPNFilter that might target some NETGEAR routers. To protect against this possible malware, we strongly advise all NETGEAR router owners to take the following steps:
Make sure that you are running the latest firmware on your NETGEAR router. Firmware updates include important security fixes and upgrades. For more information, see How do I update my NETGEAR router firmware using the Check button in the router web interface?.
Make sure that you have changed your default admin password. For more information, see How do I change the admin password on my NETGEAR router?.
Make sure that remote management is turned off on your router. Remote management is turned off by default and can only be turned on in your routerís advanced settings.
To make sure that remote management is turned off on your router:
On a computer that is part of your home network, type Router login in the address bar of your browser and press Enter.
Enter your admin user name and password and click OK.
If you never changed your user name and password after setting up your router, the user name is admin and the password is password.
Click Advanced > Remote Management.
If the check box for Turn Remote Management On is selected, clear it and click Apply to save your changes.
If the check box for Turn Remote Management On is not selected, you do not need to take any action.
NETGEAR is investigating and will update this advisory as more information becomes available.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
fvbounty

Thanks for the info!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
bobmitch

VPNFilter malware targets ASUS and DLINK routers now also and injects code into WWW

Looks like more model routers from Asus and DLink are effected. Injects malicious code into Network traffic!!!