ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
EnzoTen

3 DisplayLink USB to DVI Video Adapter on 3 Screen

Video adapters over USB sounds like a crazy idea, i was definitely skeptical about running high resolution monitors over USB. DisplayLink proved that it would be done and done fairly well depending on your system. With a single set up a DisplayLink device can run resolutions up to 2048x1152- I've had it successfully running on a 1920x1200 monitor with HD video running smoothly. What i have found though is that the resolution and video playback quality will depend highly on the power of your processor. You will see this in the videos below.

One monitor over USB, cool... but lets push that further. The first part of this video you will see 3 DisplayLinks attached to a USB hub attached by a single USB cable to a Lenovo X200 tablet. While it did lag a bit it was surprisingly usable. Performance would have improved if I were to connects the adapters directly to the laptop and not run it though the Hub. It could also be improved by turning off the main display on the laptop.

To show that the limits could be pushed, I connected the DisplayLinks directly to my Core i7 desktop. I tried to run them though the USB hub but had issues and artifacts in the video. In the video you can see it runs 4 instances of video, two of which are 1080p. Hook 3 of these adapters up to a Core i7 laptop and you have a pretty nice mulit-display on the go setup.

YouTube - 3 DisplayLink USB Video Adapters On One System

It still will work on lower end system. Here is a video of the adapter running on a low end Atom processor. Its usable, but noticeably laggy.

YouTube - USB to HDMI/DVI - DisplayLink on a Viliv S5 Atom Based UMPC

DisplayLink is technology manufacturer that makes chips for other products like this graphics adapter, USB monitors, docking station, and USB projectors. You can find a list of all the products the official site or check out the latest prices on Amazon.

Last edited by EnzoTen; 03-12-2010 at 05:41 PM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: 3 DisplayLink USB to DVI Video Adapter on 3 Screen

Great post and vids Enzoten and very impressive product. One of these would be perfect for me in the office when I'm using a laptop and doing presentations or demos to a small group of colleages. (You'd be surprised how many times I've had to do that with people peering over my shoulder at my laptop's screen!), or just having a second monitor option at my desk because many of those office machines dont have a second video output.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Enzo-----WOW!!

Blows me away----excellent post and the giveaway is such a nice touch!!
Corsair H-100 Water Cooler
32 GB Corsair Devastator 1600 DDR
120 GB Crucial SATA III SSD
2TB WD Cavier Black SATA III
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner
Coolermaster Silent 850 Modular PSU
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Case
Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
fvbounty

Enzo that gives you extended desktop on your laptop? Thats great, mine only gives me clone, it would be great if it does!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
EnzoTen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
Enzo that gives you extended desktop on your laptop? Thats great, mine only gives me clone, it would be great if it does!
I think it depends on the CPU. I can only get a clone on the Viliv S5, but get extended on the Lenovo X200 and the i7 desktop.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
I think it depends on the CPU. I can only get a clone on the Viliv S5, but get extended on the Lenovo X200 and the i7 desktop.
I have a dual core running at 2.53 so it should work I think...Thank you for the info!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
EnzoTen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
I have a dual core running at 2.53 so it should work I think...Thank you for the info!
Try grabbing the latest displaylink beta drivers, maybe that would help?
DisplayLink: DisplayLink: Windows Drivers