ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 11-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
Kimbo

Exclamation + + + + + Windows Xp Activation And Product Life Cycle + + + + +

A fantastic topic for discussion:

Something interesting about Windows End of Life cycle has just occurred to me. Specifically about Windows XP and activation, since it is the first such Windows operating system that requires it. Now straight off the bat I am not talking legally. That it to say I don't really care where they stand legally but rather a more layman perspective. When they normally stop support for a version of Windows, for example Windows 95 by now, it is truly virtually stopped. So jumping a few more years into the future after the Windows XP Life cycle has ended will a user installing the original unpatched version (released in 2001) be required to also still activate said version ? I suppose for that matter any Windows XP version. If yes, doesn't that in fact retain the Life cycle ? I would suggest so. Obviously, in my personal opinion I think an official patch or method of no longer requiring activation for said version would be in order. Could you see the irony and manipulation here ? Yes, all updates, critical fixes, hardware support et al are no more - yet draconian activation methods for an abandoned operating system still persist.

ref://
www.taxi583.com

PS: STEAM fanboys should not participate.
(Because I can see another argument develop. Steam & activation are one and the same. There is no steam without activation.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Logan_abx

Perhaps they'll simply stop DOING activations for the OS after the life-cycle has expired. So, you'll no longer be able to reinstall, or upgrade the machine, without upgrading the OS.

Logan
Old 11-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Perhaps they'll simply stop DOING activations for the OS after the life-cycle has expired. So, you'll no longer be able to reinstall, or upgrade the machine, without upgrading the OS.

Logan
Thats what I would expect.

But this effect already happens with software that is no longer supported; eventually it just wont run because the underlying OS and protocols has changed so much since it was developed that it ends up crashing.

I have a couple of older games I can no longer run very well because of this.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Kimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
But this effect already happens with software that is no longer supported; eventually it just wont run because the underlying OS and protocols has changed so much since it was developed that it ends up crashing.
to some extent, yes.
but what of the many people (like most users here) that have several systems ? they usually have one "major" system (the latest and greatest to their ability) and one, two or more older ones running that (XP) older software and hardware. so then those systems are "frozen" in time. because they are complete systems everything works, as it should. what then ?

i mean i know people that have these systems and use them for different things. if activation would stop completely (which i highly doubt) microsoft would then be denaying these users their "rights". i have not yet read a legally binding EULA that sets a time limit of how long a user can use said software. i mean sure, i'm sure many corporations would like the ability to do that, wouldn't it be cool for them just about now to have people's regular televisions (CRT) "expire" on paper - but not in reality, and have to be replaced by these new plasma/lcd ones.

i vaugely remember someone from microsoft (could even have been bill himself) many years ago but after the launch of XP stating that after a number of years they would release some software to deactivate the check. this was in reference to questions about activation back then in 2001 with the controversy of activation for XP.

and what about virtual machines ? what with great new VT features in the core 2 duo cpus, as a great step forward in that field, a few years from now (perhaps 5-7, my personal opinion) we will have trully emulatable systems. that is to say that a then (year 2011+) current system could perhaps run a "proper" emulation of a pentium4/pentium 4d system in all it's glory. (maybe even better) and by that i mean for example that all emulated hardware is top notch and really 100% accurate, not like today's vmware emulation of a generic 8mb svga graphics card or whatever. so in 2011 i could have one system that could emulate 100% a pentium 4-3.2ghz with a creative audigy 4 and a geforce 7800gtx. then you could install XP and have a "past" system that is trully emulated. (as opposed to what you can do now, where it's not really proper emulation in that some of the major hardware, especially gfx is not suitable in it's emulated form.) and it WILL happen.

but coming back from 2011 to 2006 emulation still applies today. many users including microsoft rabid fanboys like paul ---> (http://www.winsupersite.com/) do NOW and for several years use/used emulators on new pc's to be able to use older software. the only reason gamer's haven't trully embraced this phenomenon is because the two main hardware items emulated today suck in terms of performance. (gfx and sound) not only that but let's not forget that with dosbox et al we can STILL play almost all dos based games even today, from an os abandoned even longer then windows 95.

so this is what i am saying actually. i can assure you that windows xp will live a long time still. i mean dos which is over a decade before xp still going then xp has at the very least starting today (nov '06) ten years too. do you realise that there are still a large number of factories that manufacture things (as opposed to their office side of operation brethren) that use true dos or specially designed dos emulator boxes and such to run machines and complete factories. (many i would assume because the software they paid top dollar for, which could have been several hunderds of thousands of dollars, is no longer supported or whatever... and importantly there is no need to actually upgrade since there is no upgrade. the machines work as designed, like a switch on or off.) can someone still play their original nintendo ? yup. just because something is old does not mean it requires new things.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.