ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 11-29-2006, 05:26 AM   #1
Ksan

Second HDD / Boot Crash

Here's one I'm hoping you folks might be able to assist with...

I have two Maxtor IDE/ATA Hard Drives - one 80gb with XP Home O/S, the other is blank and set to one partition.

Problem
In single HD config, the system boots fine. If I attach the second HD, the system recognises the extra HD during POST boot, but crashes out loading XP, an error message flashes past to fast to note anything before the system reboots...

Upon restart "Safe mode", "safe mode with prompt", "last good config" and "normal boot" options all crash in the same manner.

Remove the second HD and everything is fine again.

Actions taken so far
Set the drives to Master and Slave as per Maxtor configs...
Set both drive jumpers to cable select...
Swapped positions of drives on IDE ribbon...

Ideas
Is the drive not being recognised because of an issue cause by using an OEM copy of XP on the install and adding hardware after the event?

Does the drive need formatting / initalizing? ...How can I do this outside of XP?

Any help / comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Ksan
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-29-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
3 of 7
You can run.....

Try booting with it (temporarily) on the other ide cable to see if you can get into the system that way to format the drive ( Is it a new drive?)
You shouldn't be having issues adding hardware after an install, XP normally does a pretty seamless job of it on it's own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
Ksan

Nice idea, I'll give that a whirl

Thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
Ksan

That did the trick as far as getting the system to boot and formating the second HD.

Thanks for that 3of7

but...

When I put the HD back onto the same channel as the first HD, its bad to the same problem.

If I could I would try one HD and one DVD-rom per IDE ribbon but the placement of the components inside the case means its impossible.

Out of the PSU on that line are 3 molexes and one unused SATA power connection - with the two HDD, the case and the GPU running off that particular stem would there be too much power drain involved here? The PSU is 650w and about a week old.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Sick Willie

It sounds like the IDE cable is bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
Ksan

Point.

I have now tried swapping the ribbons over to no success

I've swapped the one drive to one ribbon now and the other HD and one of the DVD-rom drives in on the other - which works fine.

I just can't get the other DVD-rom on the other ribbon cuz of the distance involved. I can live with this but its not ideal, the twin DVD's are useful.

Open to hints and even shrouded rumours...
Old 11-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
Sick Willie

If you're using XP SP2, use f8 to bring up the boot menu and select "Disable automatic restart...". This should result in a Blue Screen you can read, which should result in some troubleshooting data....