ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-14-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
metomeya

Odd problem with windows

Okay, when I start some programs................

a installer comes up instead...............

It will try to install something (usually a office program, or some utility program).

The bar will fill up then a DOS cmd screen will popup for a split second, then the bar will start from empty again, trying to fill up again, and the DOS screen will appear again for a split second, and repeat, and repeat.

Either I let it go on till it says can not find the program, or I hit "cancel" a 100 times till my program finally pops up.................

What is causing this?

PS I've runned like 5 different reg cleaners already.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
John64

firstly, reg cleaners can be dangerous. From what i have read, because of the way the registry works, its unimportant how large it is.

Also, maybe some screenshots of this. To take one, hit the printsrc button on the keyboard and then go into paint, paste it (edit, paste) then save it, preferably in jpeg, then post it

Old 10-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

The reg cleaners may be your trouble. If this started after you used a reg cleaner then I would be almost sure of it. I think they are a bad idea. They have a way of doing more harm then good. I would try reinstalling the programs that are not working. A full system scan for viruses/spyware might be good too.

edit: sorry for the echo John64 you posted right before me
Old 10-14-2006, 11:59 PM   #4
John64

no problem!

Old 10-15-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
metomeya

Ya, the more I think about you, I think you guys are right, i'll try reinstallin and tell you how it worked.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:01 AM   #6
Gorganzola

Registry cleaners are definitely pointless. My favourite is that there are so many out there that mis-represent themselves. So, for arguments sake, you have run 5 registry cleaners but how many of them were safe to begin with and didn't introduce other lovely's.

Nuke-and-pave is the way if you can afford to.

Oh, and clearing the prefetch folder is a waste of time too. There are so many hacks out there that are either carry overs from Win2K into XP or pre-XP SP1 and SP2 that are pointless. In some cases, they do more harm than good. In other cases, they do nothing.

I wasn't asleep at the switch, I was drunk. -- Homer J. Simpson

Q. How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One.

A very useful tool on these forums:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in public.