ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 12-21-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
sammy2066
ABX Public Relations

Folding: Something must be done ...

Hello,
Team #1714 has lost a lot of ground in the last few months. Something must be done to get new folders, and encourage existing members to start folding too. With all the X2 systems being built, I am pretty sure people can save once core for folding for the site which helps them so much.

Another way would be to offer some incentive to new members to start folding ... that way we can get some WUs crunching in no time ....

I hope the Mods take some serious actions in this step to boost our daily production ...

Regards,
Sammy
Most users ever online was 1,377, 04-19-2006 at 10:31 PM.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
phalinx
The SilentSentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy
Hello,
Team #1714 has lost a lot of ground in the last few months. Something must be done to get new folders, and encourage existing members to start folding too. With all the X2 systems being built, I am pretty sure people can save once core for folding for the site which helps them so much.

Another way would be to offer some incentive to new members to start folding ... that way we can get some WUs crunching in no time ....

I hope the Mods take some serious actions in this step to boost our daily production ...

Regards,
Sammy
Hi Sammy,

Yeah, it's been a tough road for me. I haven't been folding much and I've recently started back up with the help/aid of a good friend, DeathDealer. He helped me out when I was down on my back. I had surgery. I'm doing well now and I'm back to work. It will be a while longer until I can get my other machine back up and running. My xeon rig is folding part time now. Economics will play into it as well for other folders. The old electric/gas bill, i'm sure, will cause some people to cut back on their folding for a while. ABX 1714 will survive.

Cheers

Old 12-22-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Bofinn
I'm gettin' dizzy!

I don't currently have a 2nd machine up and running and with all the security issues lately I power down my pc when I go to bed...

Maybe someday I'll piece together an older machine.

When in doubt, smack it!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
fvbounty

I've got my 2 machines folding again and a third part time, but I shut down at night too..... maybe after the hoildays.....
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

Old 12-22-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
Ozzie
CRS Designee

I keep hearing how expensive everyone says it is...I've been running 4-5 rigs for years folding and as close as I can figure it's about $10 a month per machine.
How about you guys? Does this sound right to you? Maybe this is what's scaring folks off to folding.
We all have our hobbies - this one doesn't put enough bite in my pocketbook for me to worry about.

At least I'm not blowing wads of money in bars...

Change is the only constant in life

Old 12-22-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
sammy2066
ABX Public Relations

Well, this machine of mine will fold 24/7 from now on. The machine I will build soon will also fold 24/7.
Most users ever online was 1,377, 04-19-2006 at 10:31 PM.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
Ozzie
CRS Designee

There you go Sammy...

Oh...and that line about not spending money in bars has limited mileage...use it wisely...
Intended for other readers of course - I do remember you are younger than some of us...

Old 12-22-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
Tinker
How did they do that???

I have 2 full time computers folding now and hope to add 2 more ASAP.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:29 PM   #9
VSEKH
Fold for ABX

Looks like eastms.edu has raised their production big time. They are upto 551 active processors right now.
Folding Rig:Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6, QX9650 cooled with a Zalman 9700NT, Powercolor X300SE, Audigy2zs, 4G DDR2-800 Mushkin memory, Plextor PX-760, Pair of 74GB WD Raptors in Raid0 & Seagate 750GB SATA drives, PC Power & Cooling 610 watt PSU, Coolermaster Cosmos case

Gaming Rig: Asus Maximus Formula SE, Intel QX9650 cooled with a Zalman 9700NT, EVGA 8800GTX, 4GB of GSkill DDR2-1000, Audigy XFi fatality, Samsung 203B, Pair of 150GB WD Raptors in Raid0 & 1TB Hitachi Sata hard drives, PC Power & Cooling 750 watt PSU, Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 case

Old 12-22-2005, 11:23 PM   #10
softball_dude28

I believe Coolpup got around to adding 19 more 3.2Ghz w/HT this week... Hope to start seeing the pay off. I think we lost a few machine for the Holidays, but it appears the majority of them are running full steam!

--Mike

--- Eastms.edu ---
softball_dude28 , Darth_Opus , Coolpup32 , Hippie
Old 12-23-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
Drufuss

My old PC here at work is folding 24/7 (for Team-Cusl2).
I have setup another machine to fold under ubuntu, this machine is running 24/7 but not always in ubuntu when other people use it (but for the next two weeks it´ll do nothing else but crunching numbers for Team-Cusl2 too).
Another machine is folding too, folding@home running as service in Win2k, but somehow i can only send result or get new work packages when i stop the service and restart it manually, so i have to check regularly if it´s still folding (not too often cause this is a CUSL2-C too, running @ 833 MHz i think).

Greetings

Dru
4 x 8GB DDR3-Ram PC3-2400 Kingston Beast XMP
3 x Samsung 840 EvoO 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming (watercooled)
Soundblaster ZxR, Hauppauge HVR4400 DVB-T/S2, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Platimax 750W
Pump: Laing DDC2
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra 3 420
Case: Cooltek Antiphon
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..äh... RulEd!

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #12
Tinker
How did they do that???

I just put on a 3rd machine but it is only crunching at 50%. Wife's computer...

That will total to 220% cpu time for Tinker..

Old 12-23-2005, 03:38 PM   #13
Ozzie
CRS Designee

Way to go guys...

...and don't ever think that your contribution isn't much...this is a TEAM effort and we need everyone that can manage some cpu power...
Everyone that pitches in is very much appreciated.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #14
MANOWAR
Call To Arms

Well said Ozzie.
We're so close to matching the EOC teams production. A little more could just tip the scales in our favor.
In the meantime they're getting a little cocky over there:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...6&postcount=23
Old 12-23-2005, 03:48 PM   #15
Ozzie
CRS Designee

LOL...wouldn't you just love to...________!