ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
triumph

Aero Eats Up Battery Power?

I came across this article that said the Aero theme eats up more battery life on mobile systems than previous OS's. The thing I am not clear on is it just the entire Vista OS that is using up more power, or Aero itself? This article seems to point the finger only at the aero component at Vista, which seems a little odd to me.

http://www.techspot.com/news/21809-v...ery-power.html
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
ninikins

Not sure here but I have looked around online and other sources seem to mention the exact same thing...if it eats that much then why bother putting it in...?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
W.Harbaugh

Duh? More gpu usage means more power used...very simple concept...conservation of energy....
Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
triumph

Yeah but should a desktop theme necessarily use up enough extra energy to be a drain on a laptop battery?

Considering the penetration of laptops in the marketplace, losing a significant percentage of usuable time due to an os upgrade would not be viewed as a good thing, i would suspect.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
Znod
ABXpert

My understanding is that Aero also is likely to produce hot-running laptops and slower performance for all. So, maybe there is a silver lining if our laptops don't support full Aero. But, I'd like to be able to have it so I could turn it off. ~(;^)

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][/COLOR]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/CENTER]
Old 07-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
dazzlin
Elite Members

Luckily, even without Aero, the interface is very nice-looking. So, all is not lost, even without Aero.
forum or check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. [/B][/COLOR]
Old 11-18-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
monstermania4

i have aero activated on my hp pavillion 6140us, and it completely eats the battery life. it only lasts like an hour. I still like aero though...
Old 04-18-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
Dave Webster (microsoft)

There are three power schemes used to manage battery consumption. Power Saver, Balanced and Performance. When you go on to batteries your machine should change to Power Saver or Balanced. Power Saver by default turns off Aero and slows the CPU if it is so configured.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #9
ProCookie
Special Member - Vista Babble Promoter

I think as time progresses laptops will get more power full and have bigger batteries to compensate for the magnificent aero theme.