ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #46
offdahizzlen

Well, I had to FORCE the manager to send for a replacement on my graphic card. There coming tomorow to replace it. If that doesn't work (which the manager who i spoke with is insisiting it will not) what should I do? Request a replacement MoBo? Is there a way to test these things to see what IS the problem. I cant believe ive gone so long, done so many things and NO ONE knows what exactly the problem is.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #47
offdahizzlen

Okay.. I played a 2D game, and I got the error: ati2dvag Display Driver has stopped working normally something along the lines of that.First, the game freezes, then the error pops up and allows me to restart to get back into my right resolution.. I never realized this before but when the 3D games freeze, right before the screen turns black, I hear an error sound, the same as when the ati2dvag error popped up, so maybe Im getting the same error, but I cant see the error when it pops up for a 3D game, because my moniter turns all screwy. Please help!
Old 06-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #48
Gorganzola

• Shut down the system, remove the power plug.
  • Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to discharge residual power.
  • Pop the case open. http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1052331
  • Remove the battery from the motherboard for 30 seconds while holding down power button. This will reset the BIOS defaults. If you cannot remove the battery us this method instead: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...s=04#wp1052620
  • Boot into the operating system.
  • Follow this link to the latest BIOS on the Dell website for the Dell Dimension 4700: http://support.dell.com/support/down...leaseid=R99653
  • Download the BIOS and save it to your Desktop.
  • Make sure all applications are closed.
  • Double click on the new icon on the desktop that reads D4700A08.exe and follow the prompts to flash the BIOS. You will be asked to reboot, please do so.
  • Download the latest video drivers from the Dell website and save them to your Desktop: http://support.dell.com/support/down...easeid=R101506
  • Uninstall the current ATI drivers.
  • Download Driver Cleaner from here: http://www.drivercleaner.net/ It will clean out any residual drivers. Run this and reboot as necessary.
  • After the computer reboots, if the Found New Hardware Wizard runs, cancel it.
  • Run the file on your Desktop labelled MRG8DA03.EXE to install the ATI video drivers.

What's the stop error code you get, the 0x???????? (0x????????, etc) ?

EDIT: Added one more step into the list, that is, uninstall the ATI drivers

I wasn't asleep at the switch, I was drunk. -- Homer J. Simpson

Q. How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One.

A very useful tool on these forums:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in public.

Old 06-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #49
offdahizzlen

I reinstalled the drivers and everything (in VGA mode) and the same error pops up when playing the 2D game, now its the Stop Error. It says Device Driver got stuck in an infinite loop. (ati2dvag)

Anyone?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #50
Gorganzola

If the instructions that I put up don't help, then I would say wait until you have the new card and see what happens.

A. One.

You can
in public.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #51
offdahizzlen

DUDE! I am SUCH AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I just realized it..

(after my DSL screwing up, and having to reinstall it)

I haven't ever had a real graphic card before.. Does it make a difference if you use that white DVI Adapter??? I dont even think my moniter is connected to my card!!!! I think it's just connected to some on-board graphic integrated whatamacallit.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #52
offdahizzlen

Sad thing is, I can't find it even though it says it was included in my package. So I have to buy a new one!!?
Old 06-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #53
Gorganzola

If it is missing from the packaging and it was supposed to be included, you can contact Dell technical support and they will ship you one. Otherwise you would have to contact sales, but I suspect it should have been included.

If necessary, go into Device Manger:

Press Windows Key + Pause

Windows key is between the CTRL and ALT key on the keyboard on the left hand side.

The Pause key is in the top right.

Go to the Hardware tab.

Click on Device Manager.

Next to Display Adapters click the + sign.

Right click on the non-ATI graphics adapter and select Disable.

Connect your monitor cable to the ATI card.

A. One.

You can
in public.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #54
Gorganzola

Sorry for the half reply, my machine went bonkers on me.

A. One.

You can
in public.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #55
offdahizzlen

When I go there, it only says:

Radeon X300 Series
Radeon X300 Series Secondary

Is secondary the one Im connected to?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:34 PM   #56
Gorganzola

If nothing but those two are showing under Display Adapters then you are fine.

If the Secondary is the 15 pin D-SUB then yes. The primary is the DVI connector.

On the new card you installed there should be two plugs, one for the secondary and one for the primary. The third one that is up a ways and away from where the new card is installed would be the one for the onboard graphics.

A. One.

You can
in public.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #57
offdahizzlen

then that means I dont need a DVI Adapter? On the big huge sheet of paper dell sent it said to use the DVI Adapter if I had the optional Graphic Card installed, and it demonstrated to plug the DVI adapter into a white pronged area next to the blue.

Its plugged into the blue area. And there is a white area next to it, which is where the guide says to plug it into a DVI Adapter, and to plug it in there thats IF you have a graphics card installed because Dimension 4700s come default with On-board integrated graphics.

Please tell me I should go out and buy one.. I have searched so long for the answer and I think i've got it..
Old 06-12-2005, 10:21 PM   #58
Gorganzola

Perhaps one will come with the replacement.

If not, go out and buy one.

The 4700 will have integrated graphics and can be upgraded to a better card. The primary display is on the white DVI connector. The blue VGA connector, that by the sounds of things you are currently plugged into is for the secondary display.

A. One.

You can
in public.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:29 AM   #59
offdahizzlen

That is exactly what I thought.. But the repairman came, she was like 45-50 O.O She said that everything was overheating because of the hot weather. And also that since my moniter is an Analog monitor, it isn't utilizing my cards full potential? So she said we needed a digital moniter, which was what that white port was for.. O.o I don't agree though, the big owners manual says to use the DVI Adapter which I believe its sole purpose is to connect an analog moniter into a digitil port. Well, I went around RadioShack, Staples, etc. Couldn't find anything.. But at Radioshack they had a WMHD (or something like that) DVI Cable.. going for 100 bucks. *cough**hack**cough*. So I am going to get dell to send a new one. (Since it wasnt included in our package)
Old 06-14-2005, 10:43 AM   #60
offdahizzlen

Well, I forgot to say.. After my card was replaced, my mother touched the card and she burned her hand it was so hot! So that must be part of the problem.. And so now when I play games I get NO errors, NO crashes, no problems. So we are going to install an air conditioner in the computer room today. I just hope it lasts :x