ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #91
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
[snip]

I agree about the replayability, but not just due to alternative endings (although that is exciting enough) but because the combat and maps have so many possibilities, different approaches, different tactics.

[snip]

I love to hear that.

Somewhere I read that the STALKER map is 20 square miles.

Asus P4P800 Deluxe
Intel P4 3.2 Extreme Edition @ 3.47 / Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu / Arctic Silver Ceramique
2x512 Mushkin PC3500 222 Black Hi Performance Level II
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X800 XT / Samsung Syncmaster 215TW 21" Wide Screen LCD
Two Western Digital 250 Gb Raid Edition hdd's
Two Western Digital My Book 500 gigabyte external USB2/Firewire hard drives
LiteOn 165H6S DVD Super AllWriter / LiteOn 166s 16x DVD-Rom
Onboard LAN
Antec SX1240 full tower
Soundblaster Audigy 2 zs Platinum / CambridgeSoundworks 5.1 DTT 3500 Digital Speakers
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Razer eXactMat + eXactRest
win2000
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-28-2007, 06:26 AM   #92
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post
I love to hear that.

Somewhere I read that the STALKER map is 20 square miles.

Yeah, I read that. I can believe it too. Speaking of which I like the way the horizon works in this game, it seems very realistic. You can look through the binocs into the extreme distance and see objects (buildings or trees) many miles away.

In Oblivion on the other hand you tend to have your line of site curtailed by objects, such as hills and Far Cry runs out of land and all you see is the sea.

Has anyone installed the patch? Does it impact performance in any way?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #93
shaihulud

Well, me and a friend of mine were taking a look into the patch. We have found that we do not like it that much. It has fixed such like the slug artefact from being useless to useful. But there were some things within the game that made it worse, such as armor degradation.

Anyone else's thoughts?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:57 AM   #94
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Thumbs up

Just a heads up on the new 7.3 catalyst drivers for ATI cards; nice improvement in performance with no degradation in quality, I'm getting slightly better frame rates now.

I cant check out that patch, Shaihulud, because I'm too far into the game and dont want to have to start again due to the save files not being compatible.

BTW, the action seems to get better the further north you go.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-31-2007, 06:16 AM   #95
shaihulud

Yes, there is a 12% increase, IIRC, in the 7.3 descriptions. nVidia’s next release is to have better performance too.

BTW, this is a warning for the game. If you do not do things right and continue to a particular point you will not be able to turn back. There are over 6 ending, and for a good reason.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:52 PM   #96
Ford Freak

I've been playing using the 7.3 drivers and the patch. Luckily both came out the same day I got the game. It runs pretty good with AA on low/medium and most other stuff maxed out. It will pause for a second or two once in a while. I think that is caused by stuff going on elsewhere in the game though.

I'm on the second mission given to me by the guy you start out by. It involves going to the garbage. I can get past that but the guys down the road light me up pretty good.

I am liking the game so far though. I just wish there were more places to sell stuff. Either that or you should be allowed to carry more stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:59 PM   #97
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak View Post
I am liking the game so far though. I just wish there were more places to sell stuff. Either that or you should be allowed to carry more stuff.
You can also trade with the NPC's, they sometimes have some useful stuff.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-31-2007, 09:17 PM   #98
Wingit
Palm Rat

Just an FYI...the widescreen FOV hack I linked previously does not work with patch.......guess i'll wait to apply it.
Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1, 4790k Haswell I7, Noctua U14S cooler w/ 2nd fan in push/pull, 16gb (2x8) G.Skill Trident X 2400, EVGA GTX 980ti FTW 6gb Video, HP 2711x Display, LG Blu-ray, Creative Z series sound, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD OS drive, WD Black 2tb Data drive, in Corsair Carbide AIR540 case, powered by Corsair HX750i, Razer Deathadder Chroma mouse, Ducky Shine 5 keyboard.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 AM   #99
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Ok, I'm considering applying the patch and starting again.
Too many little glitches and I know the patch addresses a few of them and maybe more.

The degrading armor sounds good too. I'm noticing that I'm using rush tactics more and more because I can take the hits and maybe degrading armor would push me back into stealth and flank mode which I like.

Also I'm accumulating all this cash for no useful purpose. Buying armor sounds like a good use for it!

I'm a long way in now. Bit of a bummer but I have quite a few failed missions that I'd like to try. (You know, the missions we failed before we even accepted them or even knew about them )

BTW, has anyone seen a NPC throw a 'nade? I've never seen it happen! If they did throw a few then I suspect I would have a lot more trouble.

So anyone think of any reason NOT to apply the patch apart from the armor issue and starting over?

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 04-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #100
traveler
Where to next?

The LIMITED EDITION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in the steel box is available in the UK only!

Visit and chat with the Buds at the #ABxZone channel on EFnet Internet Relay Chat
If you don't have it then download mIRC from www.mIRC.com
Old 04-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #101
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post
The LIMITED EDITION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in the steel box is available in the UK only!...
I thought I saw that over here too. It was a tin box, not steel tho.

Well I have restarted this game and I'm doing all the misions i didnt do the first time around in the first level. Umm, does anyone know where the heck I can find the tail of a pseudodog?

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 04-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #102
Wingit
Palm Rat

Widescreen FOV hack posted earlier has been updated to compatibility with new patch...both unpatched and patched versions here:

Widescreen Gaming Forum :: View topic - Solution: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. [3rd]

Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1, 4790k Haswell I7, Noctua U14S cooler w/ 2nd fan in push/pull, 16gb (2x8) G.Skill Trident X 2400, EVGA GTX 980ti FTW 6gb Video, HP 2711x Display, LG Blu-ray, Creative Z series sound, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD OS drive, WD Black 2tb Data drive, in Corsair Carbide AIR540 case, powered by Corsair HX750i, Razer Deathadder Chroma mouse, Ducky Shine 5 keyboard.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #103
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I spent a couple of hours going over the map carefully trying to find a pseudodog and no luck. I did find a dead one, dont know who killed it, but it wouldnt let me have its tail. Eventually that job expired, I'll try it again later.

Basically I'm trying to complete every job and find every stash on this level before I move on. I've now got a job to kill a stalker rookie, dont know why the trader wants him dead, but I'm just doing what I'm told. Trouble is he's sitting in the village playing the guitar so I'm waiting for him to move somewhere more private so I can drop him.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 04-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #104
TQ
You gonna throw that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingit View Post
Widescreen FOV hack posted earlier has been updated to compatibility with new patch.
Sorry for my ignorance but are you saying that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. doesn't offer native support for widescreen?
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me - Psalm 51:10

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dogs already think I am...

Daywalker Studio:
Software: Adobe Audition 3.0/Pro Tools LE 7.4/Acid Pro 6.0/Multiple VST, DirectX and RTAS plugins/Kontakt 3 Sampler/Windows XP Professional
PC Hardware: D975XBX2-504/E6600/4x2GB Mushkin XP2-6400/eVGA 800GTX/HP f1905 19" flat panel/Echo Audio Gina24 Sound Card/2 Maxtor 6B300SO's/1 Maxtor STM500AS/1 Western Digital WD2500JD/PleXwriter Premium/Plextor 716A/Samsung LightScribe DVD burner/Logitech Revolution MX/Antec P-180b/PPC&C Silencer 610/Zalman CNPS9500 HSF
Recording Hardware: Mbox 2 Factory Pro/Mackie SR24.4VLZ Pro Console/M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI Controller/Audio-Technica 4033a microphone/Symetrix 528E/PreSonus Eureka/Mackie MR8 active monitors

Game Machine: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6/E8400/4x2GB Mushkin XP2-8500/BFG GTX280/HP f2105 21" flat panel/Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro/Maxtor 6H500F0/Maxtor STM3320/Western Digital WD4000KD/Plextor 760A/Toshiba DVD-ROM/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec P-180/PPC&C Silencer 610/Ideazon Merc Stealth keyboard/Vista Business64 SP1
Old 04-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #105
Wingit
Palm Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ View Post
Sorry for my ignorance but are you saying that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. doesn't offer native support for widescreen?
Hi...check link for explanation in full, but stalker offers widescreen natively by trimming screen image rather than by using expanded FOV...hack posted at Widescreen gaming forum rectifies this and moves player to a view position that is not as cramped as the trimmed screen version entails. Images at forum speak volumes more than my words...if you look at my first post you will see comparison screenshots.