ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 05-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
triumph

How do you know if your video card supports Aero?

I was reading the specs page on the new vista site, and the only thing I was unsure to see if my pc met the premium specs was if my video card supported aero. How does one determine this?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
dazzlin
Elite Members

The best way is to download the upgrade advisor that Microsoft recently released. Get it at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/default.mspx

Download it, install it, and run it. It should tell you everything you need to know.
forum or check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. [/B][/COLOR]
Old 05-23-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
triumph

Thanks Dazzlin. I had been there to review the specs, but missed the download application.

It took a silly amount of time to install it, but it did say my card would work with Aero.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
W.Harbaugh

Cheers! I'm selling this rig soon but whoever gets it next will be able to run aero pretty easily! I wonder how the req. will change over the next year...
Old 05-24-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
triumph

I am still not clear what Aero does/is, but I suspect it has something to do with the overall interface.

As for the requirements changing, normally they start off higher and if anything go lower. To have them go up at this point would be unlikely.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #6
W.Harbaugh

Aero is the new GUI used with Windows vista unless I am mistaken, it makes Vista look super nice apparently...pirated copies will not have this "aero"
Old 06-02-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
ninikins

Is Aero just the name for the new graphic interface or is it more than just that? I'm a bit confused still on the whole Aero thing.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
dazzlin
Elite Members

Yes, its the graphic interface.
forum or check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. [/B][/COLOR]
Old 07-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
Znod
ABXpert

Hi dazzlin:

I am one of those that is uncertain if I will get all the glitzy Aero features--transparency, flip, etc. I don't require a great deal of power so power/Aero is not an issue. If you think you can help, then please check my sig to see what my system is like. I thought I had seen everyone available on Arero readyness--including everything on the site you link. I looked again, and could find no download. Can you be more specific about finding the download.

Given all the data on the site, my system seems capable of supporting the Aero Glitz, but I do not have it on my build--which is the latest for consumers. And, as far as you know, does anyone have the Glitz yet?

Thanks much.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
Old 07-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
dazzlin
Elite Members

Download the Vista upgrade advisor here. Run it, and it will tell you whether or not your system supports Aero. That's really the best method, as anything anyone says could be mistaken.
forum or check out
. [/B][/COLOR]
Old 07-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #11
Znod
ABXpert

Excellent. Thank you very much.

[/CENTER]
Old 07-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
Znod
ABXpert

I really not replying to myself. I used the compatibility assessor mentioned/linked by dazzlin. Below is part of the first page of the report I obtained. I highly recommend use of the assessor. Unfortunately, it confirmed what I feared, but maybe things will work out. Also, maybe I can rationalize not having the glitz; it is expected to slow performance. And, I have a pretty zippy little machine given 2 GB, 2 MHz (M processor), and a 7200 RPM drive. Incidentally, I thought that I had posted the following info before, but, if so, I can't find it now. Sorry if I am duplicating the info.

"Congratulations! Your PC can run the core experiences of Windows Vista.

Hardware Report: Can your PC deliver premium Windows Vista experiences?

The following section of your feedback is focused on your computer hardware and will provide you with the information that you need to ensure that your PC can reliably run the features you've selected. If any hardware upgrades are required for your computer, we will indicate them below.

Elegant User Experience with Windows® Aero™

Action Required Explanation

Upgrade your graphics adapter Your current graphics adapter will not support the Windows Aero™ user interface. Contact your PC retailer to see if an upgrade is possible. To see a list of graphics adapters that support Windows Aero™ click here.

The following capabilities are required to enable the Windows Aero™ user interface:

Support for DirectX 9 is required. Your current graphics adapter supports this technology.

A WDDM driver is required. Your graphics adapter is not expected to support this. [I knew that this would be my problem, if any. Znod)

The graphics adapter must either have at least 128MB of dedicated Video RAM or use shared memory.

Your current graphics adapter has 128.00 MB of dedicated memory.

Support for Pixel Shader 2.0 is required.

Your current graphics adapter supports this.

Support for 32bits per pixel.

Your current graphics adapter supports this.

Watch and Record TV

Make sure you have an approved TV Tuner card In order to watch TV on your system, you will need an approved USB-based TV tuner or TV Tuner card. This version of the Upgrade Advisor cannot detect whether an approved TV tuner exists in your current system. Contact your PC retailer to find out if a TV Tuner card that is approved for use with Microsoft Media Center is or can be installed in your system.

Either

a) make sure your graphics adapter can provide output in a format your TV accepts, or

b) connect via a Windows Vista-compatible Media Center extender such as an Xbox 360 If you would like to connect this PC directly to a TV and you do not have a high definition display that accepts PC video input, you will need to make sure your graphics adapter can provide TV output. This version of the Upgrade Advisor does not check for suitable TV output. Please contact your PC retailer to see if your existing graphics adapter supports this feature. Or, you can use this PC as a media center host and connect to a TV through a Windows Media Center extender such as an Xbox 360 Learn more

Premium Photo, Music and Video Experiences

Upgrade your graphics adapter Your current graphics adapter will not support the Windows Aero™ user interface, which is required for Windows Media Center. Contact your PC retailer to see if an upgrade is possible. To see a list of graphics adapters that support Windows Aero™ click here.

[Interesting. Windows Media Center appears to be working on my machine--but, maybe not all of it. Znod]

[/CENTER]
Old 07-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #13
coolzero

Try this if Aero Transparency does not work

I have a new Compay Presario 5000 series laptop and it has two profiles on it. Aero transparency works on one profile and not the other only difference one logs to my corp network the other home. I went into the visual setting and scrolled down to the open classic setting. From there I rolled all the way back to basic windows look and let it load then I went an changed it one below Aero and let it load then I went back in and set it Aero and now the transparency is working.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
Znod
ABXpert

Very interesting. I doubt it will work for me, but, hey, thanks, and I'll post back if something cool happens.

[/CENTER]
Old 07-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #15
Znod
ABXpert

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolzero
I have a new Compay Presario 5000 series laptop and it has two profiles on it. Aero transparency works on one profile and not the other only difference one logs to my corp network the other home. I went into the visual setting and scrolled down to the open classic setting. From there I rolled all the way back to basic windows look and let it load then I went an changed it one below Aero and let it load then I went back in and set it Aero and now the transparency is working.
Hi c0:

I tried what you suggested. Were all the settings changes you made in the "Visual Appearance/Appearance Settings" section? If so, then I don't think that what you did will work for me--as I don't have all the options you mention. In this regard, my integrated graphics is not consistent with the WDDM. But, check out what happened when I uninstalled my Synpatics driver(s).

[/CENTER]