ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-29-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
kiasta

Not sure what to do...

Ok, first of all I had the Beta 2 february release (forgot the build number) and when I installed the nvidia graphics card the glass effects worked perfectly fine without any performance issues...then I restarted it once more (had to restart the first time after installing the drivers) just to see if the logging off anf logging on features were better, BUT when I logged on again I got just the regular look (no glass for me). And since then I downloaded the 5384 build (which i'm using right now) and I couldnt even get it to work the first time. Now i'm positive that my specs are enough so how do I go about and enabling the "glass effect" feature?

System Specs:

Gateway M680 (Specifically made for Collins College)
Intel 915 Chipset
Intel Centrino Processor 1.86 GHz
2.0 GB 677MHz DDR2 RAM
256MB Nvidia Quadro FX Go1400
80GB HD

I even ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor program and everything was ok (except the multimedia support) and here is even a screen shot:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Untitled.bmp (38.4 KB, 9 views)
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-29-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
dazzlin
Elite Members

This sounds like an "obvious" question, but I figure I'd better start with it. I assume you right-clicked the desktop and gone to Personalize / Visual Appearance?
forum or check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. [/B][/COLOR]
Old 06-29-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
kiasta

yea I went there...but i overlooked that lol am going to try that now
Old 06-29-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
kiasta

nope i just see windows vista basic.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:04 AM   #5
dazzlin
Elite Members

That's odd. I'll let you know if I find out anything.
forum or check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. [/B][/COLOR]
Old 06-30-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
dazzlin
Elite Members

Try this:

Click on the "Start Menu" (the Windows Logo!), type "Performance Rating" in the search box and run the "Performance Rating and Tools" applet. Hit "Refresh" as shown below to re-calibrate your system.

When the machine initalises it assesses the capabilities of your system's hardware (and software drivers) to determine whether Aero Glass is appropriate. Each area of your system's graphics performance are rated resulting in a score that's displayed in the applet. BEFORE re-initalising (refreshing) the system the Graphics score might be shown as 1, afterwards it may be higher allowing Aero Glass to work.
forum or check out
. [/B][/COLOR]
Old 06-30-2006, 12:42 AM   #7
kiasta

I have done that 3 times then re-installed the graphics drivers and did it once more and its still the same...here are the results:

Processor: Intel Pentium M Processor 1.86GHz 3.4
RAM: 2.00 GB 3.5
Primary HD: 49.99GB Free (74.53 Total) 3.5
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400 2.0
Gaming Graphics: Not Detected 4.6 (not a typo)

Overall Rating: 2

I'm not sure how they do their rating system but i dont see how they got a 2 from that.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:24 AM   #8
crabby
Super Moderator

I have amd 64 3500+, 2gb RAM, 256mb 9800 pro, 380 gb of hd space... and I managed a 3! Looks like your gaming graphics is fudged.... but I wouldnt know how to help

crabby
Old 07-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #9
kiasta

well no need to worry anymore I'm back to using XP, I'll just wait til the it's released in 2007 and hopefully is more compatible with my hardware.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
Znod
ABXpert

Nevermind.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #11
crabby
Super Moderator

Uninstalling vista is just a cop out.. admitidly we cant really change anything as windows isnt open source... but still... its worth a look!

And we will have the upper hand on release!!!

crabby
Old 10-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #12
tkmstr

:newbie:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlin
Try this:

Click on the "Start Menu" (the Windows Logo!), type "Performance Rating" in the search box and run the "Performance Rating and Tools" applet. Hit "Refresh" as shown below to re-calibrate your system.

When the machine initalises it assesses the capabilities of your system's hardware (and software drivers) to determine whether Aero Glass is appropriate. Each area of your system's graphics performance are rated resulting in a score that's displayed in the applet. BEFORE re-initalising (refreshing) the system the Graphics score might be shown as 1, afterwards it may be higher allowing Aero Glass to work.

i ran a clean install of vista (bulid 5600) and i cant even find the windows aero color scheme. It doesnt even find my video card....please help!!!

Here's my specs:
HP pavillion Dv6113us
2 gb DDR
1.86 ghz AMD turion TL-56 X2
NVIDIA Geforce GO 6150 256 MB
Old 10-18-2006, 05:44 PM   #13
tkmstr

Unhappy

I have the same exact problem as kiasta, except my nvidia geforce go 6150 256 MB graphics card is displayed as "standard VGA graphics adapter" in the device manager. i also dont see windows vista aero in color scheme...Please help!!!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:56 PM   #14
Davehc

Too late I guess Kista. I think when you install perhaps you are defaulting to the Windows basic.them (in"Themes") If you had changed it back to the Vista theme you may have got lucky.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:41 AM   #15
crabby
Super Moderator

Firstly grab the new nvidia driver from here:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/licens...ional_whql.exe

That may help with the vga device. The aero issue is probablyu because you have 512mb of RAM? If so there is a simple regedit you can do which is described here:

1)Run regedit and navigate to the following path: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\

2)Set Composition to 1 (32-bit DWORD)

3)Set CompositionPolicy to 2 (32-bit DWORD)

4)Restart DWM by opening the command prompt with administrative privileges:
Type net stop uxsms
Type net start uxsms
(Howto taken from http://neek.f2o.org/blog/)

Hope that helps!

crabby