ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
The Matt

Graphic Problems? Aero and Alt Tab not working properly...

I recently updated my XP home to Vista Home Premium. I did use the upgrade advisor and the only thing recommended was that I upgrade my RAM (512) to 1 GB. Something that I plan on doing very soon.

Right now my notebook (Alienware) is running with the 512 MB of RAM, and running Vista pretty slow. My notebook is also currently running with a video card that my computer defines as this...

Caption: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600
Adapter RAM: 128MB
DriverVersion: 6.14.10.7810

From what I understand this video card is at least above average. But still, my vista does not load with the complete Aero theme, nor will it allow me to use the windows 3d Flip (Alt-tab) feature. When I go into the control panel and go to performance information, my graphics and gaming graphics both got scores of 1.9 and 1.0 respectively. Is it my video card or the lack of RAM that is making my computer not run these features and be "inferior" in the graphics department. I thought I had a good video card at least.

Thanks in advance
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
cando

To run Aero you need 1gb ram
Old 02-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
felix8406
ABXpert

Cando is correct. Here are the requirements from MS Site:

Windows Vista Premium Ready PCs

Some Windows Vista Capable PCs have been designated Premium Ready. These PCs will provide an even better Windows Vista experience, including the Windows Aero user experience. Features available in specific premium editions of Windows Vista, such as the ability to watch and record live TV, may require additional hardware.

A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processorĻ).

1 GB of system memory.

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)≤, Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.

40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.

DVD-ROM Drive≥.

Audio output capability.

Internet access capability.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
Znod
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matt
I recently updated my XP home to Vista Home Premium. I did use the upgrade advisor and the only thing recommended was that I upgrade my RAM (512) to 1 GB. Something that I plan on doing very soon.

Right now my notebook (Alienware) is running with the 512 MB of RAM, and running Vista pretty slow. My notebook is also currently running with a video card that my computer defines as this...

Caption: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600
Adapter RAM: 128MB
DriverVersion: 6.14.10.7810

From what I understand this video card is at least above average. But still, my vista does not load with the complete Aero theme, nor will it allow me to use the windows 3d Flip (Alt-tab) feature. When I go into the control panel and go to performance information, my graphics and gaming graphics both got scores of 1.9 and 1.0 respectively. Is it my video card or the lack of RAM that is making my computer not run these features and be "inferior" in the graphics department. I thought I had a good video card at least.

Thanks in advance
I think you do have a good Video card, but Vista has upped the ante. As you know, 128 MB, with WDDM is the minimum for full Aero. It is possible that you will need to obtain a beta driver from NVIDIA. The betas are easy to find on the company's site, but let me know if you have problems.

Others have noted that your problem also may be a function of not having enough RAM, although your card score is too low too. A work around, which would not be considered to be a crack or contrary to the MS EULA and is supposed to allow machines with 512 to run full Aero has been posted various places, including here I think. I will search for it and get back to you if I find it. Again, I am not sure if the mod works, in general, or would work for you specifically.

Edit: I have searched, but no luck so far. It looks like I can't go far enough back in time.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][/COLOR]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/CENTER]
Old 02-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
felix8406
ABXpert

[QUOTE=Znod]A work around, which would not be considered to be a crack or contrary to the MS EULA and is supposed to allow machines with 512 to run full Aero.QUOTE]

I think this what you were talking about http://www.vistababble.com/downloads...other-tips.pdf, page 35.

The issue has to do with Aero Glass not enabling itself even though the rating indicates that the PC should be able to run the Aero Glass. Itís supposedly a known issue with Vista RC2 and should be fixed in RTM. However, if you donít get the RTM, there is a walk around so you can take advantage of the Aero Glass now, without waiting until January.
1. Click Start, type RegEdit and it Enter.
2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Microsoft\Windows and click DWM
3. Double-Click Composition (right pane) and set the Value data to 1 and click OK
4. Double-Click CompositionPolicy (right pane) and set the Value data to 1 and click OK.
5. Close RegEdit.

But the key words there iare that the PC must be able to run Aero in the first place. I have not try it, so I cannot comment about it, but maybe it'll work.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
The Matt

Thanks for all the input guys. Once I do upgrade my computer to 1 GB of RAM and download all the drivers I can from NVIDIA, I'll try it out again. Any problems and I know where to look for great help. :-)
Old 02-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Znod
ABXpert

You are very welcome, and good luck. Let us know how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/CENTER]
Old 02-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Znod
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix8406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znod
A work around, which would not be considered to be a crack or contrary to the MS EULA and is supposed to allow machines with 512 to run full Aero.
I think this what you were talking about http://www.vistababble.com/downloads...other-tips.pdf, page 35.
Humm? I don't understand what I am supposed to do after following your link or the reference to p. 35. But, thanks, whatever.

[/CENTER]
Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
felix8406
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znod
Humm? I don't understand what I am supposed to do after following your link or the reference to p. 35. But, thanks, whatever.
I was referring to your comment: ďA work around, which would not be considered to be a crack or contrary to the MS EULA and is supposed to allow machines with 512 to run full Aero has been posted various places, including here I think

So if you go to the link I provided it will take you to the PDF document, which will have the information you were seeking on page 35, or you can use Ctrl+F, enter Aero to help you find what you are looking for. Hereís the link again just in case http://www.vistababble.com/downloads...other-tips.pdf
Old 02-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
Znod
ABXpert

I see. Well, the Ctrl+F did not take me anywhere of significance. Maybe, I did not follow your instructions correctly. And, I was trying to use a more narrow descriptor than "Aero" since there are so many "Aero" posts. It appeared to me that the search record would not take me back far enough in time when I used the more specific descriptors. But, on the other hand, maybe my descriptors just didn't go very far back in time. I did a search using the search tab at the top of the screen. I got way more posts than I was willing to look through.

[/CENTER]
Old 03-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
joseph

TO RUN aero, you do not need 1GB of ram if you are using a Video card that has 512MB RAm, because Vista (i think) will just share your VRAM with ur RAM, so you get Run AERO, with maybe a little not smootly, but trsut me i have 768MB RAM, 512MB VRAM, and AERO runs like a horse.