ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
leighton22

Aero and rating on Dell Dimension 3100

Hi, I have a Dell Dimension 3100 that I bought around December 2006. It came with XP home on it but said vista capable so I installed vista Ultimate. It works very well I have 1 GB RAM, 145 GB Hard Disk and its on a Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family. My question is I have 128MB of video RAM but I cant use aero because I dont have a WDDM driver. I'm wondering if there is one I can use on this computer?

My second question is my rating is 1 but my processor (Pentium 4 HT) is 4.2, RAM 4.4, Graphics 1.9, Gaming Graphics 1.0, and my hard disk is 5.2. Shouldn't my rating be allot higher?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Snuffy
Elite Members

Quote:
My question is I have 128MB of video RAM but I cant use aero because I dont have a WDDM driver. I'm wondering if there is one I can use on this computer?
If your video drivers are Vista compatible.. go to control panel, open video adapter, and delete it. reboot and let Vista find the WDDM driver and install for you.. instead of using the Dell Driver.

Quote:
Gaming Graphics 1.0
simple indicates the Dell Video is not the best. I removed my NVidia 7300 GS (which is FOR SALE) and replaced it with a NVidia 7600 GS.. and went from Gaming Graphics 2.6 to 4.8 ... Its all in the Video drivers.

You might have to simply disable the Dell Video and upgrade to a ?? Video Card.. if you want better graphics and gaming ability.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
felix8406
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton22
My second question is my rating is 1 but my processor (Pentium 4 HT) is 4.2, RAM 4.4, Graphics 1.9, Gaming Graphics 1.0, and my hard disk is 5.2. Shouldn't my rating be allot higher?
Graphics subscore. This subscore indicates how well a computer will run Windows Aero and play videos. This measurement is based on video memory bandwidth (megabytes per second), so the higher the dedicated graphics memory in your video card, the better this score is likely to be. A 256-megabyte (MB) video card, for example, is almost certain to get a higher score than a 128-MB card.

Your base score is determined by the lowest score. Since your gaming graphics is a 1.0, that will be your base score. I copied the following from Vista Help and Support for your information: Any graphics card that doesn't support Microsoft DirectX 9 automatically receives a score of 1.0, regardless of other factors. Also note that a video card using a driver that doesn't support Windows Vista Display Driver Model (WDDM) can't receive a score higher than 1.9. (DirectX 9 and WDDM are requirements for Windows Aero.)

Gaming graphics subscore. This subscore is based upon the frames per second at which the video card can handle different textures. If the video card doesn't support Microsoft Direct3D 9, it automatically receives a score of 1.0. A card that supports Direct3D 9, DirectX 9, and WDDM automatically receives a score of at least 2.0

Updating your video card will sure increase your video performance. I'm assuming you have a desktop PC. Make sure you get the right graphic card; e.g. PCIe, AGP, etc. See attached smip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (54.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
leighton22

I tried letting Vista look got a WDDM Driver it doesn't find one. when I had XP on I used the Upgrade Adviser and it said my system is completely compatible, I just had to uninstall Nero Express.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Snuffy
Elite Members

Nero 7 is Vista Compatible. So no need to uninstall it... Nero 6 yes worked but was "not compatible".

Apparently your Dell Video the faulty one... If you can borrow a Video card.
which ever type you need... PCI or PCIE, install and it will auto load the WDDM driver...

Really Dell should have a VISTA Signed driver which would be WDDM compliant.

This is the best I can find on Intel drivers used in your Dell 3100.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphic...915g/index.htm
Old 06-02-2007, 01:43 AM   #6
crabby
Super Moderator

Here are the latest drivers http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...l&submit=Go%21

But I really would suggest a new graphics card for around $30.

crabby
Old 06-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
felix8406
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton22
I tried letting Vista look got a WDDM Driver it doesn't find one. when I had XP on I used the Upgrade Adviser and it said my system is completely compatible, I just had to uninstall Nero Express.
I agree with Craby, a new video card will serve you well. You may also want to check out this link that explains the difference between a Vista capable PC and a Vista Premium ready PC. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/capable.mspx
Old 06-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
Snuffy
Elite Members

A Video card for about $30.00 is not (IMHO) going to be very productive. I'd recommend nothing that is less than equal to NVidia GeForce 7300GS 256Mb PCI EXpress 16X dual , but at least equal to the NVidia GeForce 7600GS 256Mb PCI EXpress 16X dual. The equal to 7300gs will play most 3D graphics such as Silent Hunter III by Ubisoft. but the 7300GS is just not enough to for Silent Hunter IV. The graphics are jagged, and fuzzy, *(turnoff the outside camera helps).

SH III
Seawolves: Submarines on Hunt
U-Boat: Battle in the Mediterranean
Supported OS: Windows® XP/Only plays well in Vista

Minimum Requirements:
P1.4GHz
512MB RAM
64MB 3D accelerator
4xDVD-ROM
1.5GB free disk space

Silent Hunter 4 System Requirements 4/5/07
Supported OS: Windows® XP/Vista Only
Minimum System Requirements

* CD-ROM: 0X CD-ROM
* CPU: 2 GHz Pentium 4, AMD Athlon
* Hard Drive Space: 6000 MB
* DVD-ROM: 0X DVD-ROM
* Other:
* RAM: 1024 MB RAM
* Video Memory: 128 MB VRAM

Recommended System Requirements

* CD-ROM: 0X CD-ROM
* CPU: 3 GHz Pentium 4, AMD Athlon
* Hard Drive Space: 6000 MB
* DVD-ROM: 0X DVD-ROM
* Other:
* RAM: 2048 MB RAM
* Video Memory: 256 MB VRAM

If you not playing any games... I'd agree $30.00 for a PCI card with 128 MB will do ..
Old 06-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
jimpac

If you do get a video card, be sure to check to see which type of card your computer uses. I believe that the Dimension 3100 does not have a PCI-Express x16 slot, but does have 2 PCI slots and also one PCI-Express x1 slot.
Windows Vista Ultimate
Old 06-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
Snuffy
Elite Members

Quote:
I believe that the Dimension 3100 does not have a PCI-Express x16 slot, but does have 2 PCI slots and also one PCI-Express x1 slot.
that only means the mobo only has 1 PCI-E slot. Dell has a very funny way of talking.. but the manual says it is for
Quote:
Your Dell™ computer provides the following slots for PCI and PCI Express cards:
•Two PCI card slots
•One PCI Express x1 card slot
PCI card
PCI Express
x1 card
PCI Express
x1 card slot
If you are installing or replacing an expansion card, follow the procedures in the next section. If you
are removing but not replacing an expansion card, see "Removing an Expansion Card" on page72.
If you are replacing a card, remove the current driver for the card from the operating system.
Quote:
PCI Express
connectorone x1
connector size36 pins
connector data width (maximum)1 PCI Express lane