ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-21-2003, 06:53 PM   #16
imdanimal
Graphics Guy

No kidding. Ya know... I joined this folding group about a week ago. I'll lay it out.... I had heard about distributed computing over a year ago but just thought people were searching for ET and soforth. I never gave it much of a thought.

Then, I am looking for advice on upgrading my 'puter. I find this board, register and find out tons of stuff about my 'puter upgrade.... and.... also find out about helping find cures for dieseases. Things that even effect members of my own family. And top it off with a team oriented competition thing.... ya know.... I love competition .. I love computers and by God.... I love games. Especialy competitive team oriented games.

I have an old processor (1Ghz T-Bird) and I realize I'm barely doing anything. Heck.... to be honest I'm not really sure how much I'm putting out. I know it's taken over 2 days to get this far...

I dont really know how to find out what my contribution is.

BUT... it doesn't really matter.... I just know that I am contributing ... it makes it worthwhile.

[pssssssst.... if anyone could tell me how to find this out.... I wouldn't mind ]
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-21-2003, 06:56 PM   #17
an Ugly SOB_abx
nVidiot

What's your name that you use for folding?

Here's the team stats: http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=1714

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:01 PM   #18
imdanimal
Graphics Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by an Ugly SOB
What's your name that you use for folding?

Here's the team stats: http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=1714
Here is my client.cfg file:

[settings]
machineid=1
username=[AB]Team_AthlonPower
team=1714
asknet=no
local=1

[http]
active=no
usereg=yes
host=
port=
proxy_name=
proxy_passwd=

I'm thinkin' I'm using [AB]Team_AthlonPower .... right? Should it say : active=no ? That don't look right.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:02 PM   #19
RotorHead
It's Hot! Damn HOT!

This calls for a double

RH
Old 03-21-2003, 07:04 PM   #20
DaveM
Whats in a title, anyhow?

Talking Hey imdanimal,

Since you are using the Windows Graphical version, you can right click the Folding Icon in your system tray.

Click "Statistics" then Choose "Team Stats" or "User Stats".

It seems that the stats get updated, usually, every hour on or around the hour, but I could be mistaken on that. So if your WU finished at 5 after the hour, you should see your result go up shortly after the next top of the hour.

As far as the machine you Fold with only having a 1 Ghz CPU in it...

Well, I threw together a machine I have dedicated to Folding. It may only be a measly PIII 650 on an old Asus P3BF motherboard, but I now have over 500 points from her.

Yes, a 626 Fold may take me nine or ten days to complete at 24x7, but then I will get a whopping 76 points (I think that was it) and boost that weeks production a ton in one shot!

I have used my PIV 2 Ghz to Fold intermittently, but that machine uses so much electricity that it turns my office into a sauna if I operate it with the door closed. Maybe during the summer, when the Air Conditioning is on, it might be more realistic to run that a little more.

But I feel good about knowing I have one machine dedicated to the project and that it has helpped the reasearch for possible cures to disease.

Last edited by DaveM; 03-21-2003 at 07:09 PM..
Old 03-21-2003, 07:06 PM   #21
Camel_abx
Krusty

http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/new/searchteamstats

Old 03-21-2003, 07:12 PM   #22
CrocHammer
Croc - OlderOvercrocker

Time for me to sign up.

I understand there are 2 ways to do this?
1XS. Barracuda 640 gig 7200.11
2 x S. Barracuda 320 gig 7200.10 in RAID O
LG sATA DVD/RW
Logitech G5 Laser mouse & G11 keyboard
Corsair HX-520 watt modular PSU
Lian-li PC60U -updated mod & lighting
4 x 80mm inlet and 2 x 80mm exit fans on Hexus fan controller
Old 03-21-2003, 07:17 PM   #23
packetloss
IRCtastic

Don't stop peddling till we get passed google
Old 03-21-2003, 07:19 PM   #24
DaveM
Whats in a title, anyhow?

Quote:
Originally posted by imdanimal
Here is my client.cfg file:

[settings]
machineid=1
username=[AB]Team_AthlonPower

I'm thinkin' I'm using [AB]Team_AthlonPower .... right? Should it say : active=no ? That don't look right.
Well, since you are contributing to a sub team, you won't see your actual progress, but you do have the knowledge that the sub group your are working with is a very competitive group of computers that is producing a combined effort of Folds to rank much higher than you could do on your own.

Wether you chose to join a sub group or to Fold your machine by yourself, you still are adding to the overall project.

You can right click on the icon in your system tray, click "statistics" and choose "log file", and in that "log file" you can find the names of the WU's that you have completed.

I don't know if there is a current compilation as to how much each different project is worth. That sure would be a nice web page to be able to view, if a list of all active projects and their point values assigned to them were available, for all the users in subteams who would like to know exactly how much they do contribute!
Old 03-21-2003, 07:32 PM   #25
imdanimal
Graphics Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveM
I don't know if anybody has a list as to how much each different project is worth, but that sure would be a nice project to create if somebody could compile a list of all active projects and their point assigned to them, for all the users in subteams who would like to know exactly how much they do contribute!
Wow... you mean no aspiring programming 13 year old genius has created a way for individuals to see their own personal stats generated from that big 'ol log file ?(thanks cat.. didn't know about that) Seems that a program should be able to just suck those stats off your log file and make a sub-sub-sub category that shows them.

This is the way I see the folding program work... please correct me if im wrong....

1. you get the fold problem
2. you get a portion of the problem to work on... download it off the server.
3. your processor works the problem it is given... then uploads the results to the server. I know I download/upload because my firewall asked for permission for the program to access the internet. In those uploads.... here is the individual stat part..... can't those idividual stats be uploaded and logged?
Old 03-21-2003, 07:44 PM   #26
RotorHead
It's Hot! Damn HOT!

DaveM you can find the protein values HERE and on the Stanford site, but the servers are down right now.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:23 PM   #27
phead

Yeehaaa!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:32 PM   #28
cpagan

WooHoo!!!!

Old 03-21-2003, 08:41 PM   #29
DeMenAce
GOD is LOVE

Let's Win one for [AB]!!

WAY TO GRIND THEM TEAM!

Old 03-21-2003, 08:49 PM   #30
CAD
Expert @ Break'n & Burn'n

imdanimal,

a way to track what you are doing is through the EM3 program. with it you can track all the proteins you complete (by type and quantity). you do not have access to statistical data on you production rates, but it might be able to cumpute record that info also to an html webpage.

some of the others hear that have worked with the option in the program can possibly provide you more info.