ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Miles

Security Software Review: Horizon Datasys Drive Vaccine

Reviewer: Terry Reynolds

Excerpt: "Modern operating systems like Windows NT/2000/XT are increasingly vulnerable to damage due to unwanted changes to the system areas. Serious system problems can result from system changes made by poorly designed application software, user mistakes, or viruses and other malware. The cumulative effects of normal operation can even be the cause of minor problems. One method that might be used to prevent unwanted changes would be to write protect the system drive with the jumper provided on some hard-drives and use a second drive to store user data. Unfortunately, modern operating systems like Windows require changes to their system areas on a continual basis in order to function correctly. This is where Drive Vaccine steps in. Drive Vaccine write protects a logical hard drive, yet leaves the system usable."

Feel free to post your comments and questions here!

Link To Review

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Intel I5 2500K | ASUS Maximus Gene IV | 8Gb Kingston|EVGA GTX560TI| Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD | 1 - Seagate TB Barracuda ES | Seasonic 550 watt Gold PSU|Custom Antec Mini P180Case | Windows 7 64-bit Professional | HP Zr24w Monitor
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
JoeFrat
Registered

Good review. I'm not sure I see the purpose of that kind of program for home use, but it will be handy for when we go to trade shows.

The last link on the final page doesn't work though.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Terry Reynolds
Premium Member

The period at the end of the sentence accidentally got added to the end of the link.

Here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...s/default.mspx

As for home use:

It's not for everyone, but I use it. The product does a pretty good job of maintaining system integrity.

The major downside is the amount of effort and knowledge required to set up your system to still save data, bookmarks, e-mail, etc.

Last edited by Terry Reynolds; 01-17-2006 at 09:11 PM..
Old 01-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
grsamf

Very interesting review, Terry, and an interesting product. I would agree that it's not for everyone and most particularly not for the novice or casual user, but a great tool in many situations.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
PCBruiser

Excellent, clear, well written cogent review. Thanks, Terry.