ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-15-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Gorganzola

Virtual PC

Since we have the forum I thought I would use it.

I think it is a cool idea.

I installed Virtual PC 2004 on my dual Xeon setup and put the virtual drive image on a seperate hard drive from the system drive. The only problem that I found was that the Virtual system ran significantly slower than I expected it to. I installed the additional updates that it wants to have installed to make it work faster, but it still seemed rather slow.

What kind of performance should I be expecting on a system that is running dual 2.66GHz Xeon 512MB Cache, with 2GB of memory and RAID 0 system driver and 3 individual drives for storage purposes?

Will going to a CPU with VT or the like make that much difference?

I wasn't asleep at the switch, I was drunk. -- Homer J. Simpson

Q. How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One.

A very useful tool on these forums:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in public.

(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-16-2006, 02:54 AM   #2
switch_abx

Gorgonzola, Virtualization Technolgy based on non-hypervisor technology, has a performance penalty of 10% - 15%. As far as I knowonly Xen 3.0 is based on hypervisor technology, which only has a performance penalty of 2% - 3%.

It don't think that your version will take advantage of Intel's VT technology or AMD's Pacifica. Only the newer releases of Virtualization Technology software will take advantage of VT and/or Pacifica. For instance XenSource is tightly developing Xen together with Intel. Intel even is the #2 contributor of code to the Xen development, next to the Cambridge University. Please note that the Intel's VT technology only is included in the latest processors and chipset. For sure the Conroe processors will include it and only a few Pentium 4 processors (and chipsets). I know the 975x chipsets support Intel VT.

So, to summarize above:
1. VT Technology or Pacifica will increase performance as long as chipset and processor support it. So, you've got to check this out prior to puchasing.
2. Look for Virtualization Technolgy software based on hypervisor. XenSource and the University of Cambridge, who developed Xen in their laboratories, are the first applying the hypervisor. The biggest advantage of latter technology is that it's much faster.

I add to this that Xen 3.0 is OpenSource (as opposed to XenSource's XenEnterprise, which is a commercial product) and free of charge. On Xen 3.0 you can throw any OS at e.g. Windows, OpenBSD, Linux. You just name it.

Hope this info helps you out.

Last edited by switch_abx; 06-16-2006 at 07:40 PM..
Old 06-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
switch_abx

Gorgonzola, if you wish to try out Xen, you can download a bootable Demo-CD with Xen 3.0.

Here is the link:

http://www.xensource.com/xen/downloads/
Old 06-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #4
Gorganzola

There is also Virtual Server 2005 Enterprise Edition that I can download but I don't think it takes advantage of VT or Pacifica.

I'd love to get something like MCE running on XEN to see how that works. hehe

I wasn't asleep at the switch, I was drunk. -- Homer J. Simpson

Q. How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One.

A very useful tool on these forums:

You can
in public.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:04 AM   #5
Howard Stern_abx
King Of All Media

PC 2007 is now a free download from Microsoft.
Intel quad I7 950 @4.2| Prolimatech Megahalems | Asus Rampage III Formula| EVGA GTX 680| 12 gigs of Gskill Sniper DDR3 - 1600 | Samsung 840 Pro | Creative X-FI Fatal1ty Pro | Corsair 850W PS | Samsung S27A950 | Lite-On Blu-Ray and Asus 24x DVD burner
Old 04-01-2007, 03:14 AM   #6
Acid8000

Thanks for the info. I wonder what changes from 2004 have been made.

Update: Oh I see. Looked around in the options and found settings for hardware virtualisation. I wouldn't mind a CPU that supported that heh.
Memory: 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB [Zalman VF900-Cu, GTS 250 firmware]; nVidia GeForce 7300 LE 128 MB
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium; Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini; Behringer Xenyx 802; Sennheiser HD 555; Sony STR-DN1020 AV Receiver; Behringer B2030P Speakers
Storage: Intel 520 Series 120 GB SSD; Seagate 250 GB SATA 7200.9; Western Digital 2 TB Green SATA
Optical drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD RW
Case/Power: Antec 300; Corsair AX760i
Monitors: Dell 2007FP 20.1" LCD (S-IPS version); Dell 1703FP 17" LCD; Sony KDL-32CX520 HDTV
Networking: Asus RT-N66U Router [TomatoUSB firmware]; D-Link DSL-526B ADSL2+ Modem; Spirit 336L Fax Modem; Western Digital 3 TB My Book Live NAS; Netgear FS108 Switch
Other hardware: Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless; Filco Majestouch Tenkeypad; Logitech MX 518; Logitech Dual Action; Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000; Canon LPB 3000; Canon CanoScan LiDE100
Operating system: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit; Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 3 32 bit

The Tablet/Laptop
Model: Sony VAIO Duo 11
Operating system: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit

The Netbook
Model: Asus Eee PC 1000HE
Memory: 2 GB Corsair DDR2
Storage: Intel 520 Series 60 GB SSD
Networking: Intel 4965AGN Wifi Adapter
Operating system: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit

Last edited by Acid8000; 04-01-2007 at 03:49 AM..
Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
pianissimo357

VMware's Server (not ESX) is free as well (vmware.com/download/server/). I've only just downloaded it (and have yet to install it), so I can't comment on its performance as of yet, but a knowledged gentleman who shops at my MicroCenter location gave every impression that he thought it was the bee's knees.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #8
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.
VMware Server is a very good product. For that matter, so is VirtualBox (through which I happen to be posting at the moment). For the record, here is my impression of each:

VMware Server
Program quality = excellent
Number of officially supported host and guest systems = large
Documentation = excellent total content, somewhat confusing presentation
User friendliness and GUI interface quality = good
Ease of setup = good
Performance = good
License = confusing. Although "free" and containing references to the GPL, it also includes statements like "If you activate the Software or any Licensed Additional Module with an evaluation Software License Key ("Evaluation Product") you may use the Evaluation Product until the Expiration Date only to evaluate the suitability of the Evaluation Product for licensing on a for-fee basis."

VirtualBox
Program quality = excellent
Number of officially supported host and guest systems = moderate (although I have installed other systems as guests and they ran fine).
Documentation = reasonable total content, but the manual needs to expand to perhaps double its present size (presently 105 pages)
User friendliness and GUI interface quality = excellent
Ease of setup = excellent
Performance = good
License = Two available. The open source version is GPL. The one with the extra goodies contains proprietary parts and has a license they call Personal Use and Evaluation License, which basically states it is free for personal use, education, and evaluation. Businesses are expected to pay a license fee.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:35 AM   #9
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Still prefer VMware Workstation. Version 6.0 is finally RC1, with the debug feature off. VPC is a major turn-off when MS demands what you are allowed to run on it. Can't even run Windows 2000 on VPC 2007. Linux distros (as well as BSD editions) are considerably easier to install on VMware.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
SubZero

I believe we now have over 200 Virtual servers at work. Running on ESX server hardware (over 30 physical servers or something, I'll count them tomorrow)... Works really, really well.. We are having performance problems with virtual citrix servers though...

But then again, ESX is not really the same as the software you guys are talking about.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.
Although ESX (which I think is now a component of VMware Infrastructure), runs on bare metal rather than a Windows or Linux host, the guest environment it creates is essentially the same as other virtual environments, so I believe your comments are on topic. For the record, we are in the process of converting our machines that run VMware Server to VMware Infrastructure, and the transition is relatively easy--although not free of "bumps." Actually, I don't think it will be that long (maybe 5 years) before "Joe Average" runs his home computer in a virtual environment.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogar View Post
Actually, I don't think it will be that long (maybe 5 years) before "Joe Average" runs his home computer in a virtual environment.
“pointreyes nutcase” is already running certain virtual sessions for his family. For example, I’m running an educational software tool on a Windows 2003 virtual session that my wife remote desktop’s into from her Apple (running OS X) and my kids on another box (x86 Vista Business) connect to as a client. Also, some of the games that don’t run on Vista or XP will run on the Win98 virtual session. Kids don’t notice the difference since the end result to availability to the software is what matters.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:05 AM   #13
switch_abx

Virtual Server 2005 Enterprise Edition R2 SP1

Anyone using Microsoft's Virtual Server 2005 R2 Enterprise Edition with the latest SP1? Virtual Server 2005 R2 Enterprise Edition is offered free for download by Microsoft.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
pointreyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch_abx View Post
Anyone using Microsoft's Virtual Server 2005 R2 Enterprise Edition with the latest SP1? Virtual Server 2005 R2 Enterprise Edition is offered free for download by Microsoft.
I find MS' free server to limited compared to VMware's free server. Plus if you are running a dual-core system then the VMware offerings are considerably better since they support two procs.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #15
XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointreyes View Post
I find MS' free server to limited compared to VMware's free server. Plus if you are running a dual-core system then the VMware offerings are considerably better since they support two procs.