ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
RTShaw

help in Getting the Bootlog (ntbtlog.txt)

help in Getting the Bootlog (ntbtlog.txt)
lost most control of my fingers so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type. So i hope whom ever reads this can understand it.

Hi

fot the past few weeks i've had this strange (well it happens) problem with xp

when cold or warm booting Xp may fully load or it may get 2/3rds thru the startup sequence then just stop, hang.. i have 2 reboot xp and again it may get to a point in the startp where it just hangs. screen dark but there is asignal from video (if i dont get a video signal the monitor pops up a window and says "no video signal"

now since the sequence stops with a dark screen i can not troubleshoot the error without reading the bootlog (in xp i guess its c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt). well i assume when u reboot & xp finally does get thru the entire sequence the bootlog is changed to reflect a good boot (im unsure about this)
anyway, how can i get the Damn... bootlog to troubleshoot the hanging? is there an easy way?

what i was gonna do was each time i booted hit F4 and turn bootlogging on then when the machine fially did boot all the way i could read the bootlog and find the failure but that wont work because its random, u never know if the system will hang 4 times then boot on the 5th or boot all the way on the 2nd..

i've tried booting into safe mode, works fine everytime. ive changed video driver versions, removed many applications, turned off usb ports still nothing! damn, i really dont wanna re install winbloze again cause the problem will only re occur when i get done and i'd still not know what 2 stay away from. this is the 2nd time this has happened, i re installed winbloze the 1st time, only for it 2 happen again)

my system..
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe..
3.0 gig P4 C, 2 gigs ram.

2 - 300 gig maxtor SATA drives on the intel inch5 controller Raid0 mode but not booting from it (drives used 4 video work)

1 - 250 gig Sata drive, 1 160 gig Pata drive, 1 - 37 gig Raptor Sata drive(boot drive) on the promise internal

internal Ide mobo ports
primary ide master = lite-on dvd burner, slave NONE
2ndary IDE channel master = Plextor PX 760A burner. slave NONE

I boot off the raptor drive from the internal promise controller. But can boot off any drive.

S.m.a.r.t. has been checked all say ok (i dont really trust the utils though on SATA drives)

any help is apprciated.

i have the latest drivers for everything, firmware updates, have turned everything off but the Raptor boot drive. Since the system will boot everytime into safe mode it must be a driver but finding it is becoming a nightmate since im having problems getting the bootlog. and when the system stops the screen is blank!.

Another problem i get oce in awhile is MBR Error 2 (i cant find out what this error is) i've re written the mbr, did mbrfix, everting 2 no avail. this seems 2 be a diff problem but hey who knows)

any help or suggestions are appreciated thank you.

--
Ron Shaw

I Am a Criminal created by the US Government
A Medical Marijuana Advocate, User & Engineer.
I Designed your Space Shuttles, Cars & Software.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
rjs735
Virus? What I am not sick

Sorry to hear about your fingers I to am getting on in years. No problem reading what you wrote.

My first suggestion would be to try another video card since you sometimes get the message no video from the monitor. Or at laest a roll abck to the previous driver. This woulld eliminate the new video driver.

If you hit f4 to get the ntlog and it's a good boot at least you'll see the process. Having been there the drivers don't necessarily load the same sequence every time. If it fails a load will start and several steps later you should see driver load complete or some such.

I would hit f4 every boot your bound to hit the failure. The log is only over written if invoked by a logging request. I believe it gets turned on the first time you load windows.

If you have no problems with safe mode this almost bears out that it is a driver failure because in safe mode you use no virtual drivers only real mode.

Might want to check out MS support for some assistance they may have.

There was some one who posted a great step by step process of what happens when you boot.

I think this is it http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...t=boot+process

Let us know how you make out.
Asus P2b-F Cel 450 Ram 256MB W98 SE
Optorite CDRW WD 40GB
Asrock P4combo P4 346 Xp Pro Sp 3 SATA HD SATA DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 XP Media SP2 Sata HD Sata DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 Xp SP2 Asrock 775Dual 550 Xp pro SP2
IBM T23 1.3hz RAM 512MB XP pro SP2
All systems are networked
Konica Minolta Color Laser Samsung clp-315 Color laser
Dlink 655 Dlink G650 Wireless Dlink DNS-323 1TB NAS
Old 07-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
RTShaw

rjs735

thanks much 4 the info. thats good to know the log is not over written everytime.
I did change the Video card drivers the only i mentioned the MBR erro 2 is because somewhere in the recovery console (or winsuck web site ) Should tell me about this error. SEe I do strange things withe the many drives I have like defining the partition letters and Acr0o0nis ture image 8xxx has a probloemn with them at times so it could be that or even a multi boot util that maybe still installed but turned off. And the Asus allwas booting from any source selectable with a hot key while acronis true image uses a key (F11) to restore a image all whch seesms 2 interfer with boot sequence (if I R nt careful) then theres the bios ( I elected t0 stick with xx21 since higher versions seemed 2 create other problems (per otherP4C800-E dlx mobo users) and the xx21 bios update did say something about correcting the way SATA & PATA were recognized 4 bootin). I probably screwed all this part of the msg up. im my day hell i'd dive into to all this, but i really dont have the energy or the physical ability now. i'd sure like 2 but since my fingers are numb i'm afraid of damaging something (like breaking the plastic end off a sata cable - already happened making a 120 gig SASA drive useless - i could use the drive but not trust it so its useless to me)..dAMN i hat old age, drugs, illnesses..!!

Alread had problems from old polio, then MS that whupped my butt, I, aolthough owning 2 computer businesses, working form NASA. hneywell, etc. - Forgot much of my Tshooting abilities. Dont know if its medications(i taie many),l and or old age too catching up t me but this problem I could have solved in 1/2 hr or less in my prime. hell its hard now to even remember which mousebutton to click 2 execute a program! I just gave up my computer repair room & am giving all y components & other stuff away. now even posting on ebay. I have 4 diff DVD burners (NEW) besided my Plextor PX 760 tht were just lying on my chair. its truely damn near o0ver 4 me (computer career) and I wanted 2 build one Duial ore before I kicki off but cant even find much on what kinda increases I'd gett.

thanks much i am gonna fix this sucker and not take the semi easy way out by re installing windows.

btw whats the big deal about vista, looks like xp to me with new sux toys!
runnng a decent video card ati - aiw 9700 pro.. i see no fantastic stuff or a reason to hurry to upgrade.

thanks again

--
Ron Shaw

Old 07-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
rjs735

I used to work for big blue till I took retirement after 30. My wife is pretty bad off because of mutiple back surgeries. Her life is every four hours of medication. I have some lesser problems when I go to bed I think well made it thru another day.

She had always wanted a Shih Tzu ( dog) and when my duaghter bought one and borrowed the money from MOM she said I am getting one.

Her life is immeasurably better just because there is some thing depending on her for existance. She loves that dog (I think better than me) I just pay the bills.

Back to your problem I always hold on to if man made it man can fix it. Usually when I've had a problem even when I needed to contact TS I usually fixed the problem before they came up with the solution.
It's in the telling of the tale that the evidence uncovers itself.

I know how nice it is to have all this flexability with booting from any partiton etc. But some times that can get the better of you even when you think your being careful you get a phone call and hit the wrong key or option.
Optorite CDRW WD 40GB
Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
rjs735

Need to look in the evnt viewer all failed driver loads or other failed events are displayed as part of the event viewer (per my xp pro manual doc)
Optorite CDRW WD 40GB
Old 07-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
RTShaw

tried that but it must hang before the event viewer gets the info.. nothing therer but DCOM (only a very few times)

--
Ron Shaw

Old 07-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
RTShaw

found it.. i usually start my Primary partitions at a zero off set and most partition utils set logica partitions at 7.13 or 7.18 megs from the beinning sector of the drive.I shifted the primary (boot) partition a little away from sector zero and bingo.. boots everytime
but why doesnt any of these winsux utils show an error? the only error i got ad that was sometimes was MBR error 2 and i was only flash on the screen for a sec. if u werent paying attention you'd miss it.

id like 2 check more in debpt but how? nothing even registers theres any problem. dogit.

--
Ron Shaw

Old 07-11-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
rjs735

Because when you set the offset the software assumes everything is ok from the set offset. The system doesn't know the offset was moved.

There should be a check for the correct offset but there isn't.

GOOD FIND.
Optorite CDRW WD 40GB
Old 07-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
RTShaw

piece of crap xp, it drove me crazy booting, hanging, and since it was before the event log nothing caught it Damn i hate Xp (microsux). So whats so great about vista? another 62,000 non fixed errors? what a piece of crap for power users or real multi-taskers

--
Ron Shaw