ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 11-04-2006, 12:54 AM   #1
Brian

Question Windows XP Product Keys Do Not Match

I want to do a clean install on my Dell Inspiron laptop. I wanted to get my Windows XP Product Key (without turning the laptop over, cuz I'm lazy) so I downloaded and ran Belarc Advisor to get my Product Key and jotted it down.

After I eventually turned off the laptop, I looked at the back and noticed that the Product Key I wrote down was not the same as the one on the sticker on the back of the laptop. I ran Belarc Advisor again as well as Everest and Magical Jelly Bean and all three programs gave me the exact same Product Key (the same one Belarc had originally given me).

So why would the Product Key on the sticker of my laptop be completely different?

(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-04-2006, 04:25 AM   #2
BoWevil
Non-expert

I found the same problem on a friend's Dell desktop. When I re-installed the OS though, there was no activation process, so I didn't find out which key was the correct one. I assumed that the one found by Everest and Magical Jellybean was the one I would have to have used, but I'm just guessing.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
h20-ski

OEM's use a seperate activation key than retail packages. My brother tried to install an HP OEM install disk on his computer but would not take any of the four keys that I have.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
Ozzie
CRS Designee

I've also run into serial number issues on a repair, mine was because my install disk was the original and I was running service pack two. If I recall, I was unable to repair and had to go back to a full install because it would no longer accept my number.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Change is the only constant in life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Ford Freak

I would use the key on the bottom of the laptop to stay on the safe side. Sounds like the person that did the install used the wrong key or put the wrong sticker on the laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20-ski View Post
OEM's use a seperate activation key than retail packages. My brother tried to install an HP OEM install disk on his computer but would not take any of the four keys that I have.
The way I understand it is that he is trying to reinstall using the disc that came with the laptop. He ran a program to get the key so he wouldn't have to turn the the laptop over to read the key. They key the progam told him does not match the key that is on the bottom of the laptop.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
Gorganzola
Hangin' with the Fruits

If you are installing onto a Dell system with a Dell branded Windows XP CD then it will not require activation. It will also not require you to enter the Product Key. It is required that a unique product key be attached to every unit that is shipped with Windows XP. I have had on occasion the need to reinstall Windows XP on a Dell system using an older Windows XP CD than what shipped with the system. It required me to enter the product key and to activate. It wouldn't activate over the Internet so I phoned Microsoft, explained and they gave me an activation key and all was good.

The OEM CD's are typically BIOS locked. So, an HP OEM CD won't install on a Dell and a Dell won't install on an HP without entering a product key and having to manually activate.

As for the product keys not matching, this is normal. Only use the key atached to the computer if you need to, otherwise the default one that is setup during install with the OEM CD is just fine and very much legal.

I wasn't asleep at the switch, I was drunk. -- Homer J. Simpson

Q. How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One.

A very useful tool on these forums:

You can
in public.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
SupDawg

I've noticed the same thing, but I am unsure as to why it's like that.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorganzola View Post
If you are installing onto a Dell system with a Dell branded Windows XP CD then it will not require activation. It will also not require you to enter the Product Key. It is required that a unique product key be attached to every unit that is shipped with Windows XP. I have had on occasion the need to reinstall Windows XP on a Dell system using an older Windows XP CD than what shipped with the system. It required me to enter the product key and to activate. It wouldn't activate over the Internet so I phoned Microsoft, explained and they gave me an activation key and all was good.

The OEM CD's are typically BIOS locked. So, an HP OEM CD won't install on a Dell and a Dell won't install on an HP without entering a product key and having to manually activate.

As for the product keys not matching, this is normal. Only use the key atached to the computer if you need to, otherwise the default one that is setup during install with the OEM CD is just fine and very much legal.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #9
Bofinn
I'm gettin' dizzy!

Brian!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:52 AM   #10
Brian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofinn View Post
Brian!!!