ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #16
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Well, for reference, if you want to try the MX1000 in openSUSE 10.2, just let me know for config tips.

It took FOREVER to get all 12 buttons working using the evdev driver. I mean, hours of trying out various configurations, mucking about with udev rewrites, having X not start, before being able to piece together what the hell was going on from a post in a Gentoo forum, a page on a SUSE Wiki, a couple of blogs and literally hours of consecutive cursing and fist shaking.

In the end, of course, the xorg.conf is lean and pretty, albeit quite different from the default setup. Getting there was about as joyful as a colonoscopy on a particularly clenched-up day.

Sorry for the slight thread-jacking, but I was terminally frustrated. Another hour and I would've spontaneously combusted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #17
swannema
????????????????

Do you have the side movement working when you tilt the wheel. This is the only thing I couldn't get done.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #18
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swannema View Post
Do you have the side movement working when you tilt the wheel. This is the only thing I couldn't get done.
I had that working in Ubuntu 6.10, but haven't checked in SUSE since I don't really see the point right now, it's not a functionality I've found very useful. (I've disabled SmartScroll using lmctl also, dunno if that affects things w.r.t. side scrolling.)

The side scroll is detected as button clicks in xev, at least. If that's the case for you, you could map that to right and left key presses using xbindkeys.

Use
-

Old 04-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #19
Ozzie
CRS Designee

I've been trying to get a good copy of Suse, and the one's I've gotten have not been clean. The md5 is off and I have not been able to correct it yet.
Is there anywhere to get one other than at Suse?

Change is the only constant in life

Old 04-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #20
Ozzie
CRS Designee

I found some North American mirrors - maybe that'll work better.

Mirrors Released Version - openSUSE

Old 04-08-2007, 02:17 AM   #21
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.
Ozzie, for really large files, I typically recommend using a torrent. The smaller packets do not seem have the same issues that the huge files do. I used the official site (bottom of page linked below) and had no problems with the i386 DVD torrent.

Released Version - openSUSE
Old 04-08-2007, 05:51 AM   #22
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogar View Post
Ozzie, for really large files, I typically recommend using a torrent. The smaller packets do not seem have the same issues that the huge files do. I used the official site (bottom of page linked below) and had no problems with the i386 DVD torrent.

Released Version - openSUSE
Ditto on that. Torrents work really well, and since the protocol's got built-in error checking, the file has a lower risk of being faulty than compared to unchecked protocols such as HTTP or FTP.

Use
-

Old 04-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #23
yamawho
Linux user

A vote for torrents as well

Old 04-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #24
pr0nzilla

Thumbs up sabayonlinux

Sabayon Linux

My first post, not allowed 2 post a link

p'zilla

Last edited by Gorganzola; 04-08-2007 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Make the link clickable.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #25
PeterT
CUSL2 > Sabertooth Z87

I am a Linux NOOB. Haven't even tried a distro in a very long time. Saw this thread and decided to try SimplyMepis32 on my old CUSL2.
The Install could not have been easier. It just worked. I like it.
Posting this from it now.
Thanks Yamawho!
Z87, i7-4770K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Antec SOLO II, Corsair TX650M, Asus ROG Crossblade Ranger, AMD A10-7890K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP 2GB,

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Antec SOLO, Corsair TX650, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Intel Q9550, 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800,
EVGA GTX560Ti SC 1GB, Asus U3S6, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
Mobile:
Acer Aspire V5-552G-x852, AMD A10-5757M, Radeon 8750M 2GB, 2x4GB DDR3,
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419, AMD A10-4600M, Radeon 7670M 2GB, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD

Asus Eee PC 1215B-PU17, AMD E-350, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Old 04-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #26
yamawho
Linux user

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I am a Linux NOOB. Haven't even tried a distro in a very long time. Saw this thread and decided to try SimplyMepis32 on my old CUSL2.
The Install could not have been easier. It just worked. I like it.
Posting this from it now.
Thanks Yamawho!

Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #27
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

I like Ubuntu, haven't run it in awhile. But will get back to it after the dust settles down from my new mobo.
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

Old 04-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #28
Ozzie
CRS Designee

I tried the live cd portion and it feels pretty good too - the one thing I'm having issue with is scrolling in the browser...very choppy. This is across a couple different distros and I'm wondering if it's the display drivers (or lack of).

Old 04-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #29
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
I tried the live cd portion and it feels pretty good too - the one thing I'm having issue with is scrolling in the browser...very choppy. This is across a couple different distros and I'm wondering if it's the display drivers (or lack of).
I didn't have any problems, in fact it was rather fun to use.
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

Old 04-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #30
yamawho
Linux user

I have Mepis installed on two rigs, one with SIS onboard video and the other with FX5200. Both are very smooth and clean.
I had issues with Intel graphics 2, the text was blurry.