ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-25-2007, 11:35 PM   #61
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post
How many different versions of STALKER are available for sale?
I think there's a collectors and the regular version, both DVD's.
The collectors comes in a tin box with artwork and a hint book.

[edit] collectors also includes a map, which may have been handy.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #62
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
I think there's a collectors and the regular version, both DVD's.
The collectors comes in a tin box with artwork and a hint book.

[edit] collectors also includes a map, which may have been handy.

What's the story about a "secret code" that unlocks five or six additional levels?

Visit and chat with the Buds at the #ABxZone channel on EFnet Internet Relay Chat
If you don't have it then download mIRC from www.mIRC.com
Old 03-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #63
polonyc2
Legacy

I bought the "regular" version at Best Buy and included was a special unlock code for a multiplayer map called "Dark Valley" as well as some new multiplayer skins
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 *****
G.Skill Falcon I 256GB SSD
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 *****
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit *****
NZXT Sentry 2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller
Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 ***** Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 (Black)
Old 03-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #64
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polonyc2 View Post
I bought the "regular" version at Best Buy and included was a special unlock code for a multiplayer map called "Dark Valley" as well as some new multiplayer skins

"Included" was a unlock code?

Was the code in the box?

Visit and chat with the Buds at the #ABxZone channel on EFnet Internet Relay Chat
Old 03-26-2007, 12:07 AM   #65
polonyc2
Legacy

Quote:
"Included" was a unlock code?

Was the code in the box?
yes inside the box was a paper with my password on it...after installing the game itself in my start Menu folder there is an option called "Unlock Code"...to unlock the map I just need to type in the password
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #66
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polonyc2 View Post
yes inside the box was a paper with my password on it...after installing the game itself in my start Menu folder there is an option called "Unlock Code"...to unlock the map I just need to type in the password

Did the outside of the box give any indication of a code inside?

Old 03-26-2007, 12:30 AM   #67
polonyc2
Legacy

Quote:
Did the outside of the box give any indication of a code inside?
yes there was a sticker on the outside of the box that gave details about the multiplayer unlock code inside
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 03-26-2007, 12:38 AM   #68
traveler
Where to next?

Thanks poloneyc2.

All I've seen so far looking around was a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. box with a sticker outside that said bonus DVD inside. That was Circuit City. A different store, GameSpot, had only empty pre-sales boxes. The pre-sales boxes mentioned bonus levels on them. That's all I've seen so far.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:56 AM   #69
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Sounds like there must be a few different packages.
Mine has a 3D piece of artwork (not a holograph) printed on a card which is the full size of the box. You can detach the card so its like a momento.

It shows a large closeup of a zombies face and Chernobyl in the background with a lone stalker outside of it. Heres the same artwork on the DVD case:

The box has thq.com.au on it with Australian location and telephone contact information. I guess there are different packages in different regions/countries.

This box even has a small magnet holding the front flap down and they sold it to me in a bag with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. artwork fully printed on it. Looks like they have really gone all out on the packaging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stalker.jpg (8.1 KB, 96 views)
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 03-26-2007 at 03:02 AM..
Old 03-26-2007, 08:13 AM   #70
shaihulud

I have done almost all side quests and stashes, etc. I have cut every box, and case. Found that money is really useless in the game, except for one moment when you need to purchase a suit. I am just very efficient and capable in FPS games.

Let me put this in perspective. I was doing part of the main quest. Had above 800 rounds of 5.56 (I never use AP). All my shots are head shots averaging only two to take anything down (man or mutant). Sometimes one or maximum of three and only was able to be resupplied a little on the quest by looting bodies. I came out with only 42 rounds left. I scope, use nocs, and stealth. Games like this are easy to me. Even in BF2142 out of 488,000 players in my two months time of playing ranked in the 400th places with the Voss assault rifle. I am a good shot and am very good with tactics.

I caught the way the game flowed and went with it. I never end an area without total elimination of the opposition. So it took me some time. Thursday night, Friday night, most of Saturday and most of Sunday. A good many hours, and have enjoyed them.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #71
alien resident
a xeno..what ??

anybody notice any wierd artifacting/flashing with the game during rain storms etc.
Wife's Rig
Intel P4 3.4c @ 3.6 Vcore 1.5625v | Kingston HyperX 1 Gb (512x2) DDR434 2.5,3,3,7 Vdimm 2.8v | Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Rev 2.0 FH BIOS | WIN XP Pro Sp 2 | Powercolor X800 XT PE | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 36Gb Raptors X 2 RAID O 128k Stripe | Liteon 52X/16X CD/DVD ROM | Antec True 550W PSU | MSI Floppy |
Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #72
Kimbo

i tried eax on and off, does throwing the bolt make a sound ? i can barely hear anything... i mean i throw it at metal cars/doors etc.. nothing.. also speech seems to go softer when looking at the pda when a person talks to you.... (all sound sliders, that's two are maxed out) i have an xfi fatality.

i wish they had more crosshair/reticule options, the default sux BIG time... why ? it's too damn BIG for my liking... and it's not "smooth" like other games. i know you can turn it off but i'd like a dot at least to guide me. and i know it changes colour to indicate stuff but so could a dot.

also i have no issues with the gfx at all (nicest European-like trees i've seen....) but the grass/shrubs still appear live. i have the slider at max with every option maxed. that just sux balls... so i need confirmation.. does everybody else get the grass appear in front of them ? i mean yeah, not right in front of you actually, but still that you can see it.

this game will need several patches.... mark my words. anyway this game is a budget game that is actually lingering at the skirts of the AAA brethren.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #73
shaihulud

Bolts do makes sounds, but I have found that the sounds do not have enough bass. The treble is too high pitch with bolts. The bolt is similar to the pistol sound or like a coin dropping clang. Some of the sounds do seem little off to me, but not an issue with my X-Fi (I use EAX on too). It is with the sounds themselves. You may hear later in the game what I mean.

I would check your settings and make sure you have the appropriate configuration not only within Windows Sounds and Audio Devices (Control Panel), but also with the Creative Audio Console.

You know I am not bothered that much by the HUD. Although, I always prefer a very small dot too, I am not trouble by this one as I have been with some other games. I am using my scope to much to really let it bother me, really. Which means I am bothered by the look of some scopes. The GP 37 is my main weapon, but has a horrible scope compared to all the others. But I must say it is smooth to me.

Most issues with smoothness not only has to deal with graphical prower and mice, but refresh rates too. Many do not have monitors that have high refresh rates. High I would say is at least 100Hz for 1280x1024. That would mean you would hit FPS at around 100, 50, and 25 if capable. With my monitor I do 120Hz. So this places me at 120, 60, 30. On LCD monitors it will always be slower till the 100Hz panels are released. LCD's are 85Hz if lucky but mainly 75Hz. So this would set you at 75,37,and 18 frames per second for 75Hz..

So, as you can see this can be very relative not only to the hardware used to render the scene, but also the hardware used to output the scene. Add the mouse you use and its sample rate being most likely lower than 500 samples per second and it is possible that it may be not as smooth.

Honestly, besides some of the things that I have pointed out. The only problem I have really had was occasionally it would stop as if locked up. Which would happen for about 1-3 seconds, then resume normally. This is very similar to Oblivion or Morrowind. This happened on a friends computer too, so I think it is relative to the game, not our systems. Beyond that not one technical issue, lockup, or crash.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #74
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien resident View Post
anybody notice any wierd artifacting/flashing with the game during rain storms etc.
I see a momentary tearing during lightning sometimes. Doesnt really bother me as it sorta fits in with the flash effects. I notice the frame rate tumbles during lightning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaihulud;
I have done almost all side quests and stashes, etc. I have cut every box, and case...
Hey shaihulud, what difficulty level are you playing on? I've found its pretty challening on the higher levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo
i tried eax on and off, does throwing the bolt make a sound ? i can barely hear anything...
No sound issues here, using an Audigy 2 with EAX on. (Except I wish I could control the voice volume separately). Agree with you about the crosshair, very annoying. I'll check out the grass next time I'm playing but I havent noticed anything that I can recall now. I do have the grass slider at about 90% mark although I dont know what impact it has on performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaihulud;
Honestly, besides some of the things that I have pointed out. The only problem I have really had was occasionally it would stop as if locked up. Which would happen for about 1-3 seconds, then resume normally...
Yeah, I'm getting that also. Seems to be worse in some areas. I suspect its a memory leak because it seems to get worse only slowly over a couple of hours. No crashes or any other problems since I added extra DDR.

Some of the stashes are so easy to find its silly, but others are a bit more difficult. I like hunting for a stash when the dogs are hunting around for me, really puts the pressure on.

I discovered that you can repeat missions. This means you can end up with a mission in both the "completed" and "failed" tabs in the PDA.

I'm enjoying the graphics and detail. I wish the human bots/AI would do more than just stand around in the same spot tho. Sure, many NPC's are moving about but too many just stick to one spot.

Hey I like the fact that our character needs to eat, makes sense with all that time we spend wandering in the zone, but how come we never need to sleep?

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #75
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaihulud View Post
I[snip]

I caught the way the game flowed and went with it. I never end an area without total elimination of the opposition. So it took me some time. Thursday night, Friday night, most of Saturday and most of Sunday. A good many hours, and have enjoyed them.

That's how I do games too. That's why we buy them ... to shoot the baddies.