ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #76
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I usually do the same. However I notice that the enemies re-spawn after a while in each area, so I'm developing a new strategy; achieve the objective and then run like hell back to the trader.

Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #77
shaihulud

I first started with second highest as I usually play. But when point blank shots with a double barrel shotgun, or 3 shot burst at the head do not kill, I lowered it to Stalker. I read that one person, in his observation, said the only difference is the amount of damage you do to opposition. It seems to be true. There were complaints about this. I was thinking it would be a change in AI or amount of enemies, but it was damage only. One post is about on mark "...increase the player's damage by 100% and lower the enemies by 75%." If I had the game at the higher level, and I am where I am now (and the past) I would have said no more.

A good portion of the stashes are triggered when you loot a body. That is where your mark is on the map. If you usually go to it without a trigger it will be nothing. This is what I have found.

It does not seem a a memory leak. All the commits are flat and I have never seen it above 1.5GB of system memory.

LOL, I like the eating too. Wish there was a gun cleaning kit to improve the condition of the gun. That would have been nice, I think.

Yep, some of the mission recycle continuously. That is something that needs to get fixed. Those few times I had to go back through Garbage. Not only do the bandits respawn, so does the side quests-arg.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #78
WhiteEclipse

3D Performance with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Part 1: Mainstream Cards

Firing Squad has a performance review with mainstream cards. Parts 2 & 3 will high cards and different cpus respectively.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #79
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEclipse View Post
3D Performance with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Part 1: Mainstream Cards

Firing Squad has a performance review with mainstream cards. Parts 2 & 3 will high cards and different cpus respectively.
Thanks for the heads up, its a handy review! That result for AA is interesting. This game is obviously very demanding, I'm surprised I'm getting such good frame rates as I am!
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-27-2007, 01:23 AM   #80
Kimbo

wth is going on ? i'm at the very beginning and as i help the injured guy on the left of the street where he's friend is dead and i take the bandages i get a knife and fork logo at the bottom right, 1st it's yellow then a few seconds later it turns red and then another few seconds later i die. *** ? so we are talking like 5 minutes in the open after coming out of the dealer's bunker. if i am supposed to eat surely it should give me more time, (plus i read eating doesn't seem to matter anyhow) or what ? ..and at that time i do not have any food on me....

like i said, budged game.... with high dreams... this is the poor kid that got his parent to once a year pay for something special to wear to go to the prom. but he's at a rich school and everybody still knows he's the poor kid. i mean not even a reason why you died. how are you supposed to know ? how about a "you have starved message" ?? or something ?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 AM   #81
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
wth is going on ? i'm at the very beginning and as i help the injured guy on the left of the street where he's friend is dead and i take the bandages i get a knife and fork logo at the bottom right, 1st it's yellow then a few seconds later it turns red and then another few seconds later i die. *** ? so we are talking like 5 minutes in the open after coming out of the dealer's bunker. ...?
Thats not right. I can go for days without getting the knife and fork symbol. I dont even carry food because I'm sure I can find it if I need it.

I think a number of people have encountered this issue but its not consistent. Are you running full retail copy of the game?

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-27-2007, 03:42 AM   #82
Kimbo

well well what a stupid game indeed.. i figured it out...(1)(1b)
so none of YOU press buttons eh ? press the "*" key on the numpad and it starts a suicide mode.

now some major issues:
how ridiculous is that fact that NONE of you stalker lovers pointed out that even thou you can name a saved game to something meningful, after it's saved it's cut to the first four letters ONLY,,, w t f ?? i mean i saved "1st mission" and then when i need to load i see only "1st "... what the hell ?

ahhh... also no quicksave/quickload ?? or am i missing something ? (and i just perused the manual to recheck, the usual F5-F6 keys are for multiplayer voting)
...and if there is a key TIA for pointing it out... even so it is still convoluted.

ps: feel free to tell those other people why.....

1= that was my default fraps key to take screenshots. that's why i was pressing it.
1b= and this is an undocumented key, also it's not shown under options/keyboard config. so like a moron one has to wonder why you would die in seconds. i mean if at least they would have it under miscellaneous keys * = suicide, but no!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kimbo; 03-27-2007 at 03:50 AM..
Old 03-27-2007, 04:17 AM   #83
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
well well what a stupid game indeed.. i figured it out...(1)(1b)
so none of YOU press buttons eh ? press the "*" key on the numpad and it starts a suicide mode.

now some major issues:
how ridiculous is that fact that NONE of you stalker lovers pointed out that even thou you can name a saved game to something meningful, after it's saved it's cut to the first four letters ONLY,,, w t f ?? i mean i saved "1st mission" and then when i need to load i see only "1st "... what the hell ?

ahhh... also no quicksave/quickload ?? or am i missing something ? (and i just perused the manual to recheck, the usual F5-F6 keys are for multiplayer voting)
...and if there is a key TIA for pointing it out... even so it is still convoluted.

ps: feel free to tell those other people why.....

1= that was my default fraps key to take screenshots. that's why i was pressing it.
1b= and this is an undocumented key, also it's not shown under options/keyboard config. so like a moron one has to wonder why you would die in seconds. i mean if at least they would have it under miscellaneous keys * = suicide, but no!!
so * is suicide? Good find Kimbo, that may explain the odd weird thing or two! I think there are keys that will speed up and slow down time too, which may explain the hunger thing.

I think I read with the save game name, it truncates at a space, so dont use spaces in the name.

There's no mention of the quick save/load keys in the manual but I found them earlier; try F6 and F7. (Some people say they caused problems for them but I havent had any so far and I've used them a lot.)

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #84
alien resident
a xeno..what ??

woot ....patch is out.......one of many I think LOL

FileShack - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 1.0001 Patch - US
Wife's Rig
Intel P4 3.4c @ 3.6 Vcore 1.5625v | Kingston HyperX 1 Gb (512x2) DDR434 2.5,3,3,7 Vdimm 2.8v | Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Rev 2.0 FH BIOS | WIN XP Pro Sp 2 | Powercolor X800 XT PE | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 36Gb Raptors X 2 RAID O 128k Stripe | Liteon 52X/16X CD/DVD ROM | Antec True 550W PSU | MSI Floppy |
Old 03-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #85
shaihulud

Am I reading this wrong!!? This does not sound good.

Quote:
Saved Games

Please note that Saved games from previous versions will NOT work with the patch.
After installing this patch, please go to "Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsSTALKER-SHOCsavedgames" and make sure any saves that were created prior to installing the patch are deleted.
You will need to make sure that hidden folders are visible on the view tab of the folder options menu.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:21 AM   #86
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien resident View Post
woot ....patch is out.......
Quote:

Please note that Saved games from previous versions will NOT work with the patch.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #87
polonyc2
Legacy

the patch is here...the patch is here...3.87 MB

according to the ReadMe the patch fixes 60+ odd issues

scroll down the linked page to see the full list of fixes...

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Patch (US ONLY), Stalker Downloads, Stalker Patches

sucks about the saved games but since I have not progressed too far into the game I'm gonna install the patch and start over...I'd rather have a bug free experience and enjoy the game more rather then worry about starting the game over again
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 *****
G.Skill Falcon I 256GB SSD
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 *****
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit *****
NZXT Sentry 2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller
Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 ***** Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 (Black)
Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #88
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by polonyc2 View Post
... I'm gonna install the patch and start over...I'd rather have a bug free experience and enjoy the game more rather then worry about starting the game over again
Especially as some of those bugs sound like show stoppers
But I'm too far advanced to abandon my game now!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #89
polonyc2
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
But I'm too far advanced to abandon my game now!
well they say that the game does have nice replay value

especially since apparently the game presents different endings based on how you played the game and what choices/actions you made during it
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 *****
G.Skill Falcon I 256GB SSD
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 *****
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit *****
NZXT Sentry 2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller
Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 ***** Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 (Black)
Old 03-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #90
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by polonyc2 View Post
well they say that the game does have nice replay value

especially since apparently the game presents different endings based on how you played the game and what choices/actions you made during it
Yes, I will be replaying so the patch will be very welcome then!
I agree about the replayability, but not just due to alternative endings (although that is exciting enough) but because the combat and maps have so many possibilities, different approaches, different tactics.

The combat AI is pretty good, actually sometimes it shows brilliance and I dont know if thats by design or just luck! other times it seems stupid.
I had a bandit hunt me down and take me down 1:1 the other night. Was very well done. But then you often get bots ducking for cover when being suppressed but just walking out again into line of fire.

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 03-27-2007 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: spelling