ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-24-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

John's Quick Vista Tuneup Guide

As Promised:

John’s “Quick” Vista Tune-up Guide

I am finding Vista to be a pretty darn good operating system. But there were some things that drove me crazy-----and----the whole operating system just didn’t seem as snappy to me as XP. I like snappy and quick…..

I researched several “Tweak Vista” sites including our own forum’s expert TweakHound----and through trial and error, have come up with this quick guide to help you get rid of the nagging----and get Vista running quickly----with some “zip”. With no loss of security for a “normal” person----and with Aero Glass and all the new graphic bells and whistles still functioning perfectly.

I was conservative on shutting down various services----but even with this small list. I dropped memory usage by over 10%----and CPU usage dropped considerably. The number of processes dropped from over 55 to a more reasonable 44.

The result: A clean, snappy Windows Vista----that didn’t nag me to death over ridiculous stuff----and was just as secure. If you are more aggressive on shutting down unneeded services-----I’m sure you will get even better results.

Some caveats-----this worked for me on my machine with Vista Premium Home Edition 32 Bit----of course your mileage may vary and your needs may be different.

Step 1:
Turn Off UAC
Start Menu Orb >>>Control Panel>>>>User Accounts>>>>Turn User Account Control On or Off>>>Uncheck “Use User Account Control to help protect your computer”>>>>OK

Step 2:
Stop Security Notifications
You must do this BEFORE you disable the Security Center Service. In the Notification Area which I call systray (bottom-right where the time is), right-click on the Security Shield and choose Open Security Center. On the left choose Change the way Security Center alerts me, then choose Don't notify me and don't display the icon. The shield will disappear.

Step 3:
Disable Windows Vista Sidebar and prevent it from running at Start-up
Right-click in the Sidebar area and choose Properties. Then uncheck Start Sidebar when Windows starts. If you want it back for some reason---You can start it any time by simply typing “sidebar” in the search bar of the start menu. This one is a big memory user and WILL slow things down on a normal machine. I found it fairly useless.

Step 4:
Setup and Use ReadyBoost
Tests have shown that systems with a small amount of RAM greatly benefit from using ReadyBoost. The sweet spot seems to be a 2 Gig Flash Drive Stick that is ReadyBoost Compatable. Systems with 2 and 4 gigs of RAM or more do not get as much benefit from using ReadyBoost. But even with a high end machine with a lot of RAM----it WILL give you a speed boost! I use a 4 Gig Stick with my 4 Gigs of RAM machine. To set up: Insert your ReadyBoost compatable flash drive in a USB slot that you can afford to be occupied all the time. An autoplay box will pop up asking if you want to set the drive up for ReadyBoost. Do so following the defaults. Leave it in ALL THE TIME! Startup and shutdown-----don’t take it out.

Step 5:
Put the Run Command on the Start Menu
Doesn’t speed things up----just easier to get to Run
Right click on the Vista Start Menu Orb>>>Properties>>>Customize>>>Check Run Command

Step 6:
Speedup Start Menu Search
Start Menu Orb >>>>Run>>>>type in regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Advanced.
Find and right click on Start_SearchFiles and select Modify. Set the Value to 0.
Don’t reboot yet till you have done Step 6

Step 7:
Speedup Menu Display
Start Menu Orb >>>>Run>>>>type in regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop
Select MenuShowDelay from the settings on the right
Set Value to 200 (I find 0 way to fast…)
Reboot

Step 8:
Manage Startup Programs
Start Menu Orb >>>Control Panel>>>>Performance Information and ToolsOn the left under “Tasks” click on Manage Startup Programs Disable any startup programs that are not necessary to your system. Many startups are simply “preloads” that help an application to launch faster----with today’s modern processors and fast operating systems----they are totally unnecessary----they are built for that 5 year old machine that people are still trying to get use out of. Disable suspects----and if you have a problem with a certain app after you have disabled a Startup----you can always go back and re-enable it. A word of caution here----many processes/applications/services need these programs to operate correctly so be careful. Here’s an example of a startup I don’t need----Nero Home----I never use Nero Home and don’t care whether it functions or not.
Alternatively, you can always shut off startup the old fashion way using msconfig
Start Menu Orb >>>>>Run, type: msconfig and under the startup tab----uncheck unneeded startups.

Step 9:
Set below services to Disable
Your situation may vary from mine so if you have difficulties----re-enable the services one at a time to find which one you actually needed. Below is a conservative list----I was still able to function fine off my home network to access Internet, share printers and files. You should also still be able to use Remote Desktop for those times when the family needs your PC experience! If you don’t need home networking or remote desktop capability you can get VERY aggressive on what you shut down. TweakHound’s site is excellent for tips. To get to Services type services in the start menu search and hit enter. Alternatively, Start Menu Orb >>>>>Run, type: services.msc

IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules (Disable) VPN service stuff
IP Helper (Disable) Until IPV6 is commonly being used----it’s worthless
IPsec Policy Agent (Disable) Not many Internet Providers require this---mine doesn’t.
KtmRm for Distributed Transaction Coordinator (Disable) High level networking
Remote Registry (Disable) I really don’t want someone else in my Registry, remotely!
Secondary Logon (Disable) No need----I’m the only logon----ever!
Security Center (Disable) No need if you are running another Security Program
Tablet PC Input Service (Disable) I don’t have a tablet PC!
Windows Error Reporting Service (Disable) I don’t want to inform MS of errors.
Windows Media Center Extender Service (Disable) Unless you hook to an X-Box.

Other candidates for disable:
Windows Firewall (As long as you are running another Firewall)
Windows Search (If you never search the internet without your browser)

Step 10:
Do an Advanced Disk Cleanup
Start Menu Orb >>>>>Run, type: cleanmgr /sageset:50
Select the options you want, I think it is fine to choose them all. Click OK and close out the window. (there is a space between the r and the /)
Start Menu Orb >>>>>Run, type: cleanmgr /sagerun:50 (there is a space between the r and the /)

Step 11:
Defragment your hard drive
**(Do this step 3 times in a row for best optimization)**
Start Menu Orb >>>> All Programs>>>>Accessories >>>> System Tools>>>> Disk Defragmenter. Highlight the drive you installed VISTA on, usually C Drive. Click the Defragment button. Again----do this step three times in a row for best optimization of your hard disk.

Step 12:
Set a Restore Point
Start Menu Orb >>>> All Programs>>>>Accessories >>>> System Tools>>>> System Restore>>>>>>Name a new Restore Point and Save

Extra Step:
If you use a drive imaging program, make a complete backup image now
Acronis, Norton Ghost, etc.

That’s it----you system should be nice and “snappy”. If you disagree with a tweak or see an error---please let me know.

Good Luck

John
Corsair H-100 Water Cooler
32 GB Corsair Devastator 1600 DDR
120 GB Crucial SATA III SSD
2TB WD Cavier Black SATA III
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner
Coolermaster Silent 850 Modular PSU
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Case

Last edited by johnrr6; 04-24-2007 at 08:42 AM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Gorganzola

Excellent effort, thank you for posting it. You may also want to reference the keyboard shortcut to open the Run box.

Edit:

Missed Step 4, hehe.

I wasn't asleep at the switch, I was drunk. -- Homer J. Simpson

Q. How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One.

A very useful tool on these forums:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in public.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Ozzie
CRS Designee

Now that's what I'm talking about...

Thanks for the effort and for sharing John - I'll be giving those a shot...

I also looked up TweakHounds Tweaks...hey - catchy name...
Some of these overlap, but that's a good thing.

Change is the only constant in life

Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
John64

Great guide! looks like some good info. With that usb stick thing, is any usb stick alright, or only specific ones?

I will probably catch a lot of flack, but UAC is not something you should be disabling! Anywhere where UAC stops you from writing to should probably not be written to, and worst case, changing file permissions is really easy. I just get miffed when people complain about MS being insecure, but then go and remove security. This is very similar to the unix Root User, and the associated su and sudo commands. No body would dare run linux as root, why would they run windows as it?

Old 03-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
SRTDodge05
Grab Life By The Balls

wish there was a way to disable or change the welcome screen.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
polonyc2
Legacy

I don't have Vista yet but....what's up with the defragging 3 times in a row step??...seems kinda in-efficient (not to mention time consuming) if you have to do it 3 times in order to get a good defrag...when I get Vista I'll stick with my PerfectDisk or even Diskeeper over the built in Windows version
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 *****
G.Skill Falcon I 256GB SSD
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 *****
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit *****
NZXT Sentry 2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller
Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 ***** Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 (Black)
Old 03-25-2007, 01:56 AM   #7
ATINUT
Just Plain Crazy!

No need to defrag 3 times in a row, if you use a program like Diskeeper, PerfectDisk, or any of the other Vista defrag programs on the market.
Intel D975XBX2 Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 8GB's of Mushkin HP2 6400 memory(DDR2 800) two Sapphire GDDR4 Radeon 3870 videocards HT Omega Claro(Cmedia 8788HD chip) 120GB&200GB&320GB Western Digital harddrives LG DVDROM & LG DVDBURNER HP Deskjet 920C Logitech X-540 speakers Viewsonic VG2030wm 20inch Widescreen LCD Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit with Service Pack 1

Who'se the fool that approved the design for this place. - The Dwarf, Sacred Underworld.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
Pentium4

Thanks johnrr6, am using your tweaks now By the way if you or any of our ABX gurus have found a way to stop that damn annoying Disk Analyser from firing up every time I boot or restart, would greatly appreciate any info you can give For some reason Vista absolutely pounds the living crap out of my drive the second I get to the desktop, and it's impossible to do much else because there is so much lag after a simple double cliick, waiting for programs to open up, or my apps to start (I usually just play Solitaire for 10-15 minutes while waiting) Why the hell MS don't allow you to switch it off is beyond me
* LG CH12LS28 Blu-ray Optical Drive * CM Xornet II Gaming Mouse * Onboard 5.1 Surround Audio *
* Logitech K200 Keyboard * Tt VersaII Mid-Tower Case * SeaSonic XP1000W PSU (100% Modular) *
Old 03-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
Griff

Thanks johnrr6, looks good. Have used some of your suggestions already.
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
Mushkin Redline 4x8 32GB DDR 1600 CAS 8
Asus GeForce GTX 660 OC DirectCU 1020MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ
Samsung 840 EVO SSD For O/S
SilverStone Strider 750W Modular
LG BlueRay Burner
Seagate1TB SATA for Photos
USB 3.0 Hitachi 350 GB for Data
USB 3.0 Seagate Free Go for Back up
Built in Card Read
Win10 Pro
Old 03-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

3 Times in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by polonyc2 View Post
I don't have Vista yet but....what's up with the defragging 3 times in a row step??...seems kinda in-efficient (not to mention time consuming) if you have to do it 3 times in order to get a good defrag...when I get Vista I'll stick with my PerfectDisk or even Diskeeper over the built in Windows version
The defragger in Windows is ......just OK....

The 2nd and 3rd time actually pack and optomise the disk more efficiently and usually the second and third times take a fraction of the time that the first defrag took.... (this is the same for XP by the way.....)

The utilities you mentioned are much better and quicker overall....

But this one is at least free.....and everyone will have it on their system.
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580

Last edited by johnrr6; 06-03-2007 at 11:09 AM..
Old 03-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTDodge05 View Post
wish there was a way to disable or change the welcome screen.
Try this....

Start Menu Orb
Run
msconfig
Click on the "Boot" Tab
Check "No GUI Boot"
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 03-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #12
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

It takes fast sticks John----get one that says it can do ReadyBoost.

I gotta disagree with you about UAC.

At least for me-----it was the single WORST thing about this new OS....

It is just plain horrible IMHO.....

Especially for an enthusiast....

Now----for my 80 year old Father in Law who clicks on and downloads EVERYTHING----it's a good thing-----because it will scare him to death and keep his machine off my workbench....

But for me-----it just stinks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John64 View Post
Great guide! looks like some good info. With that usb stick thing, is any usb stick alright, or only specific ones?

I will probably catch a lot of flack, but UAC is not something you should be disabling! Anywhere where UAC stops you from writing to should probably not be written to, and worst case, changing file permissions is really easy. I just get miffed when people complain about MS being insecure, but then go and remove security. This is very similar to the unix Root User, and the associated su and sudo commands. No body would dare run linux as root, why would they run windows as it?
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 03-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #13
BBThumper
Happy, Joyous and Free

......... thks for your work. Just installed Vista and liking it. Just don"t think its going to be good in a workplace enviroment, to many security questions for the layman to handle which means more work for us IT guys........
2 x 2gig pc26400
Nvidia 8400
2 x Raptors in Raid 0

......My City's moto: Welcome to Philly, now get the heck out!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #14
John64

well, properly configured, i can use my system fully with UAC installed. I only have one program which doesn't play nice, and that is MS Visual Studio 2005, but considering what i am doing (attaching a debugger to a running process), i wouldn't want that to work without UAC. Window's largest fault is that it did not have this functionality before. I will agree that UAC needs help to be as useable as su/sudo on linux/unix, but they have a good 20 year head start. I personally don't want any application to have r/w to anywhere but my personal folders unless i explicitly run it with admin permissions, and remember that you can always change permissions on whatever you access often

Old 03-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #15
SRTDodge05
Grab Life By The Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
Try this....

Start Menu Orb
Run
msconfig
Click on the "Boot" Tab
Check "No GUI Boot"
I know about that one, i would like to change the screen where it shows your user name. I like the classic look on xp.