ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
yamawho
Linux user

Don't feel like getting VISTAed ...

4 years ago I tried knoppix for the first time and became very interested in linux. I decided to get SuSE 8.2 pro and then moved on to 9.0. By then I was using it on my work system but had a crash due to the screen saver and lost everything. The constant battle to get the keyboard, mouse and monitor to work was very tiresome so I gave up and reinstalled XP pro. However, I always kept a copy of knoppix around and used it on many systems.

When VISTA came out, although I ran Vista RC2 for a month, I started thinking of trying linux again. I tried knoppix and puppylinux but I felt like an outsider looking in. My 1st Mepis install was with 6.5 beta 7 and it really impressed me. I have since upgraded from the onboard graphics and installed a modern hdd to get a better experience. All hardware was auto configured accept for the printer and HP has as app in mepis to install and use it's printers. What a change from having to use the command line, haven't used it yet. I haven't been a user very long but I like it

I'm not much of a gamer so most uses so far have been firefox, torrents, dvd burning, general office docs and photo resizing. All with included apps and it's all at no cost ... you heard me it's free

System specs I am running Mepis on:
Mepis rig running 6.5 RC3 | ASRock 775I65G mobo| Celeron D 3.06 ghz | 2 x 256mg DDR400 | Maxtor 80 gb sata | Nec 3520 | Antec 300watt PSU | Hanns G LCD JC151A | MS mouse corded | Nvidia FX5200

I'm not much on flag waving but if you want to explore something new, you can download and run it as a live cd without installing it. The official SimplyMepis version 6.5 is due out in a matter of days.

Here are a few links ...

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

MEPIS | an OS for the 21st Century

MEPISlovers Forums - Powered by vBulletin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
FightingChance
Yes, I am better than you

I would like to try this on a separate HDD.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
yamawho
Linux user

Thats what I did at first.
I don't like dual booting between XP and linux.

I used an old 8 gb hdd and played around with that.

This weekend I did a fresh install of RC3 on a 80 gb sata ... runs much better.

If your interested to learn more watch this video or parts of it.
It goes though the install and shows examples of apps.
It's for version 6 but things are almost the same ...

An Introduction to Linux

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
yamawho
Linux user

The final version of Simply Mepis 6.5 as been released today

Press release here ...
http://www.mepis.org/node/13330

Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
yamawho
Linux user

Latest review on Mepis 6.5 final here ...

A first look at SimplyMEPIS 6.5

Old 04-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Ozzie
CRS Designee

What timing...I've been using Vista for a little bit and am starting to get frustrated. Downloading Open SuSe as we speak to try on another hard drive.

So...I haven't used any Linux versions for a while, do you think this version is the one to get?

Change is the only constant in life

Old 04-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
precast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
What timing...I've been using Vista for a little bit and am starting to get frustrated. Downloading Open SuSe as we speak to try on another hard drive.

So...I haven't used any Linux versions for a while, do you think this version is the one to get?
OpenSuSe is a good one to try as is Ubuntu. Ubuntu may be more widely used and is the one I use most often at home.

Check here DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. for a list of the most popular ones. Scroll down a bit and look to the right column, page hit rankings.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post

openSUSE 10.2 is one of the good distributions as it has a very user friendly install and their setup tool YaST makes most administration tasks (the biggest pain in the neck) intuitive. I should add that most distributions these days have tended toward the "no proprietary software" ideology (that is, no RealPlayer, no Flash, no Acrobat Reader, etc.) that makes setup more of a hassle than it was, say, a year ago. Here is a handy guide for adding the extra bits and pieces back into openSUSE:

Hacking openSUSE 10.2 - Software in Review
Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
Ozzie
CRS Designee

Thank you for that Cogar...
I'll be looking into that this weekend...

Change is the only constant in life

Old 04-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
yamawho
Linux user

I have tried SimplyMepis 6.5 on 3 systems and all is working out of the box.
I recommend you download the 6.5 final 32 ISO and try it as livecd. It only takes afew minutes to boot. From there you can run any app you want go online etc.
Then if you want to install it to your hdd, there is an icon on the desktop for that purpose. Again very easy to install.

Here is another review for 6.5 final ...

SimplyMepis 6.5 - Simply Wonderful | tuxmachines.org

Old 04-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
swannema
????????????????

Mepis is pretty good but it certainly lags behind major developments. Doesn't have to be a bad thing because it ensures stability.

If you like the cutting edge than give Sidux a try. It also comes as a live CD with an included installer if you like it. It is one of the fastest Linux distros out there.

I still use SUSE 10.0, 10.2 doesn't really cut it, I tried the 10.3 Alpha and this might be finally another good SUSE release.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:56 AM   #12
Ifaistos

Guys I have tried many installations of Linux. The one that I find that most professional, stable and full of eye candy is the newest Fedora.

However the newest Mepis is really worth a look. It looks really nice!
Whatever you use though, I am sure that it will be much better, faster, less resource hungry and certainly much cheaper than any VISTA from Micro$oft.
Graphics: Gigabyte GV-RX80256D, ATI X800 256MB
HDD: 1 x 250 GB Samsung, 16M 7200rpm, SATA2 (Boot)
HDD: 1 x 120GB Western Digital, 7200rpm, SATA2
HDD: 1 x 250GB Western Digital, 7200rpm, SATA2
HDD: 1 x 400GB Seagate, 7200rpm, SATA2
Casing: ThermalTake Xaser III

Laptop
Sony VAIO VGN-BX197XP
CPU: Intel Pentium M760, 2GHz
Memory: 1 GB
HDD: 2 x 80GB
WLAN: 892.11 b/g
Screen: 17.0" WUXGA X-black LCD
Optical: DL DVD+-RW
Graphics: ATI Mobility RADEON, X700 256 MB, HyperMemory

Old 04-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #13
yamawho
Linux user

Here is a must read for new linux dudes ...

LinuxCommand.org: Learning the shell.

It's not just about the command line.
It covers the file structure and where to find everything

Old 04-15-2007, 12:07 AM   #14
little -Iron

I just got done trying three different version of Linux,I'am on cable + behind a router= trouble! The first 2 I tried I couldnt configure a Interent connection. MY last hope was Mepis 6.5, in goes Disk and 3 minyues later everything looks loaded . Mepis Configure my Internet for ME!!!! Every thing works! I next went to their Fourm :mepislover, I was so Impress with how helpfull they where. My vote goes to Mepis for the Easy one to work with .
Iam getting a 2nd HD just for Mepis!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #15
yamawho
Linux user

This tutorial shows how you can set up a PCLinuxOS 2007 desktop that is a full-fledged replacement for a Windows desktop, i.e. that has all the software that people need to do the things they do on their Windows desktops. The advantages are clear: you get a secure system without DRM restrictions that works even on old hardware, and the best thing is: all software comes free of charge.

The Perfect Desktop - PCLinuxOS 2007 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials