ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-16-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
george789

Easy Program Language to Learn

I wanting to learn how to program and I was wondering if anybody knew of an easy program language to learn at first.

I'm going to self teach myself but I was wanting to know what would be the best program language to start on would be.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-16-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Protoplasm72
Mmmm..... Folding@Home

Programming is more about the methodologies then the language itself. Most beginning programming classes use Java now. I stick to that because it's easy to find beginner books and examples that use Java as an example.

"Friends, Family, Religion... These are the three demons you must slay in order to succeed in business" C.M. Burns
Old 07-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
h20-ski

Agreed. Java does more for the user than C or C++ does, thus keeping you from making some of the common mistakes.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
0dan0

Java is the best popular first language and it isn't close. Enjoy learning, programming is a really amazing skill these days.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

At the Uni, the first two languages we were tasked to learn to use were Lisp and Ada. Along the way we also used Java, C and C++.

Basically, find a language you enjoy programming in. If that's Java, C, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Lisp, Lua or whatever, it's a good base to stand on (programming paradigms often transcend languages). If you hate Java, don't continue to try to learn it. Try to find a language that has object orientation built into it, though, because it's pretty wide-spread these days.

Java is a good start, though. Lots of tutorials on it.

Use
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
Old 09-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Acid8000

I had to learn Python in high school and didn't find it too difficult. I don't do any programming at all now though so I've lost any coding skill I had. Lost interest, really.

The original poster's sig makes me think this is another cleverly disguised spammer.
Memory: 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB [Zalman VF900-Cu, GTS 250 firmware]; nVidia GeForce 7300 LE 128 MB
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium; Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini; Behringer Xenyx 802; Sennheiser HD 555; Sony STR-DN1020 AV Receiver; Behringer B2030P Speakers
Storage: Intel 520 Series 120 GB SSD; Seagate 250 GB SATA 7200.9; Western Digital 2 TB Green SATA
Optical drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD RW
Case/Power: Antec 300; Corsair AX760i
Monitors: Dell 2007FP 20.1" LCD (S-IPS version); Dell 1703FP 17" LCD; Sony KDL-32CX520 HDTV
Networking: Asus RT-N66U Router [TomatoUSB firmware]; D-Link DSL-526B ADSL2+ Modem; Spirit 336L Fax Modem; Western Digital 3 TB My Book Live NAS; Netgear FS108 Switch
Other hardware: Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless; Filco Majestouch Tenkeypad; Logitech MX 518; Logitech Dual Action; Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000; Canon LPB 3000; Canon CanoScan LiDE100
Operating system: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit; Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 3 32 bit

The Tablet/Laptop
Model: Sony VAIO Duo 11
Operating system: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit

The Netbook
Model: Asus Eee PC 1000HE
Memory: 2 GB Corsair DDR2
Storage: Intel 520 Series 60 GB SSD
Networking: Intel 4965AGN Wifi Adapter
Operating system: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit
Old 09-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

say, if i BUMP this thread can I get a commission?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #8
Acid8000

Whoa, didn't see it was so old.
Memory: 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB [Zalman VF900-Cu, GTS 250 firmware]; nVidia GeForce 7300 LE 128 MB
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium; Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini; Behringer Xenyx 802; Sennheiser HD 555; Sony STR-DN1020 AV Receiver; Behringer B2030P Speakers
Storage: Intel 520 Series 120 GB SSD; Seagate 250 GB SATA 7200.9; Western Digital 2 TB Green SATA
Optical drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD RW
Case/Power: Antec 300; Corsair AX760i
Monitors: Dell 2007FP 20.1" LCD (S-IPS version); Dell 1703FP 17" LCD; Sony KDL-32CX520 HDTV
Networking: Asus RT-N66U Router [TomatoUSB firmware]; D-Link DSL-526B ADSL2+ Modem; Spirit 336L Fax Modem; Western Digital 3 TB My Book Live NAS; Netgear FS108 Switch
Other hardware: Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless; Filco Majestouch Tenkeypad; Logitech MX 518; Logitech Dual Action; Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000; Canon LPB 3000; Canon CanoScan LiDE100
Operating system: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit; Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 3 32 bit

The Tablet/Laptop
Model: Sony VAIO Duo 11
Operating system: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit

The Netbook
Model: Asus Eee PC 1000HE
Memory: 2 GB Corsair DDR2
Storage: Intel 520 Series 60 GB SSD
Networking: Intel 4965AGN Wifi Adapter
Operating system: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit
Old 09-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Heh, didn't check the date either... Oopsie.

Use
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
Old 11-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #10
jaketerminate
Maximum Post

Cool Re: Easy Program Language to Learn

Well it depends on what you want to do. I started with command prompt and batch files (which is really easy) then moved to Dark Basic Pro (a game programming language) and now im on visual basic. I recommend you start with visual basic and C++.
"Mozart" Rig #1
Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
Mobo: Asus P5N-E
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
Memory: 4GB (2x 2GB) G.Skill DDR2
Hard Drive: 320 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM
Video Card: EVGA Nvidia 9800GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU)
Power Supply: 600W OCZ StealthXStream
Monitor: 22" Westinghouse LCD and 2 Dell CRTs

HP G60t
CPU: Intel Pentium 2.0ghz
Memory: 4GB
Hard Drive: 250GB 5400RPM
GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

HP Pavillion tx 2000z Tablet
CPU: AMD Turion x2 2.1Ghz
Memory: 3GB
Hard Drive: 250GB 5400RPM
GPU: ATI Radeon 3200 64mb

1TB Seagate External Backup Drive
Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #11
zsaz1029

Re: Easy Program Language to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid8000 View Post
The original poster's sig makes me think this is another cleverly disguised spammer.
Agreed, and the links are clickable.

Interesting subject though. I was thinking of trying to teach myself a little. Maybe Java. Any good beginner book recommends?

-----
"A scar is never the same as good flesh, but it stops the bleeding." -- FitzChivalry Farseer (Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb)
"Only my pain is more silent than my anger." -- Amber (The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb)
-----

Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
heenakapoor

There are many programming languages but I start the learning with HTML. It is the easiest language for beginners in programming languages. Then you can learn Letus C. It is a basic language for each programming language.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
steven

c# is easy to learn because:

For starters:
C# Form applications are an very easy start in visual programming. It's very simple concept, based on -event ->function- type of interaction. You have a lot of objects, like button, text box, label, picture box, each with a few dozens events attached. You double click the event, and it creates the function that is caled on that event.
Ex. You have an application with a button, and a green label. On click, the label becomes red. To make this you: (Using visual studio / visual C#)
1 - New Form Application
2 - Drag and drop A button and a label.
3 - Set the label to be green (left click-> properties, search for background color and set it green)
4 - Button -> events- > click (doubleclick to generate function)
5 - In the generated function, write "label1.Backgroundcolor = Colors.Green; " (label1 is the default NAME for the label)

I made about a dozen games in Highschool with this. Is the most intuitive thing in programming.

Syntax :
Php, like Python and many others, have "syntactic sugar" wich means, that you don't have to specify everithing, since it kinda guesses how would you like it to behave. That could be very awesome, but, there may be a lot of inconcordance between variables and how you would like it to behave, so, sometimes you have some errors that go way beyond the beautiful syntax, to the way things work, and since the language is not very specific, sometimes it gets hard to know exacty what is going on. In c#, your code will be long, but very specific, like a huge sports car. Massive yet powerfull, you know exactly what is going on, because you have everything in front of you, and it's very good at make it READABLE. It's as pedantic as c or c++, but as fluently readable as Php or python.

Libraries and documentation.
The c# libraries are massive. Most of the time, i managed to solve problems just by looking at the autocomplete, which showed me my possibilities. For example, I wanted to draw on an label, I just wrote "draw" to see what functions does my library has, and it showed me "draw(pencil)" or "draw(brush)" "draw(default pencil)" , "draw line, draw rectangle, draw circle etc etc. each function with a very good description and it specifications.

Programming Enviroment:
Visual studio is Godlike. If something is wrong, than Visual studio will tell you so. If something doesn't show up at atocomplete, than it's wrong. If Visual studio doesn't know about the function. It does not exist.

In conclusion, Even after 4 years of C#, i still don't know 1/10 of it's capabilities, but i don't have to. It behaves very intuitively, and so makes it awesome.

Intel Core i7-960 3.2-3.4Ghz Processor
Innovation Cooling IC Diamond 24 Carat for CPU + GPU
8GB 1333Mhz RAM (2x 4GB Configuration)
500GB 7200rpm Seagate Hard Disk
nVidia Geforce GTX560M 1.5GB GDDR5
Old 04-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Those are very interesting insights you have there Steven, thank you for sharing. This topic is a little old now and there should be a fair amount of experience accumulated in the developer community for these languages and tools.

I think MS really disenfranchised a lot of people when it promoted C# over VB as the platform going forwards, but what has the experience been?
Is VB still up there or does C# rule now?

I still fEel that C++ is too slow for business development lifecycle which needs to be short and efficient to maintain competitive advantage. We now live in a world of "agile" and don't have time to build highly precise packages of code that strictly adhere to modern computer science do we? I expect the more abstracted away from the hardware and more symbolic and high level the better.

And developers in the membership care to share their thoughts?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
steven

Well, I think that VB is going to rest. Lately, the use of a lot of curly brackets has been gaining popularity against begin-end statements. Even the conservative highschool in my hometown gives pascal up in favor of c++. I think VB is comatose, soon to be dead and buried. VB is still out there, but it's far less documented, and i personally don't recommend it because of the syntax that is so different than other languages.

c++ Development for amateur and average coders is slow because it lacks professional libraries given for general use. C# for example, once you have visual studio, you have absolutely everything you need at just two clicks away.
For Professional coders and very big companies, the situation is different. C++ is still one of the fastest languages around, and with a well documented and very complete set of libraries of your own you can do wonders, and that's exactly what Apple company did with it's "Objective C" (c++ with a different name) and Nokia, with it's Qt libraries and GUI, which you use to make Symbian apps (c++ language).

If i'm not mistaken, Android uses Java core libraries, which I think is another reason why is best to learn c#. C# is Java with a different name. If you know C#, switching to Java is easy . The problem with java starters, is that you lack visual editors. after a few months / years of visual C# is far more easy to understand how Java behaves, than by learning Java directly .

I don't think that languages can be more high-level/abstract than python or php. I had to make a python object-oriented application, and i think i used about 70% , 80% the lines of code needed for the same thing in c++. The difference is not very big.

Intel Core i7-960 3.2-3.4Ghz Processor
Innovation Cooling IC Diamond 24 Carat for CPU + GPU
8GB 1333Mhz RAM (2x 4GB Configuration)
500GB 7200rpm Seagate Hard Disk
nVidia Geforce GTX560M 1.5GB GDDR5