ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-15-2008, 04:43 AM   #16
Drufuss

Re: Favorite Linux Distro ?

From time to time i try to install the latest ubuntu version. BUt as soon as the Live-Desktop is completely loaded i can 't click the install-icon cause the bluetooth drivers mess up my logitechmouse. So i would either need to attach a corded mouse (too lazy) or to use the alternate install (console mode, but i'm too lazy too download that).

Recently i installed opensuse 10.3 (install suse from time to time). Now the appearance of icons (mounted windows drives) changes with every boot, it doesn't see my soundblaster card (only a recording devivce from my dvb-s card) can't talk to my w-lan card (madwifi not yet installed), and right no wi can't boot it (bootloader in MBR of second hdd, seperate boot sector, but somehow it doesn't work)

Greetings

Dru
4 x 8GB DDR3-Ram PC3-2400 Kingston Beast XMP
3 x Samsung 840 EvoO 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming (watercooled)
Soundblaster ZxR, Hauppauge HVR4400 DVB-T/S2, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Platimax 750W
Pump: Laing DDC2
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra 3 420
Case: Cooltek Antiphon
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..äh... RulEd!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 AM   #17
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Ubuntu 7.10 is my current favorite. OpenSUSE 10.2 (which I used for a year) doesn't even compare, if you ask me. Ubuntu is more polished, faster, etc.

I'll definitely get 8.04 when it goes final.

Use
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #18
BoWevil
Non-expert

Ubuntu 7.10 here too. Unless Windows 7 is everything Vista is not, I'll convert all my machines to Ubuntu when support for XP ends. Having 5 machines, I'll probably convert to Ubuntu even if Windows 7 is what it should be because MS will probably price me out of the market. This is especially true if MS decides to sell (scuse me, lease) the OS in modules ( I still think that if you pay money for something, it should be yours to do with whatever you wish provided you don't break any laws in doing that).

Last edited by BoWevil; 04-16-2008 at 08:23 AM..
Old 04-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #19
Underwater Mike

I wish I could get Ubuntu to do everything I want, but I have never been able to figure out any Linux distro well enough to use it every day. I don't want to see a damn drive path or device ID, I want a volume name, period. Ditto on other common tasks. When I can do everything I need with point-and-click functionality, I'll jump in a heartbeat. Until then, I'll sit here with my four Linux reference books, not knowing what the hell I am doing...

Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #20
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Mike View Post
I wish I could get Ubuntu to do everything I want, but I have never been able to figure out any Linux distro well enough to use it every day. I don't want to see a damn drive path or device ID, I want a volume name, period. Ditto on other common tasks. When I can do everything I need with point-and-click functionality, I'll jump in a heartbeat. Until then, I'll sit here with my four Linux reference books, not knowing what the hell I am doing...
Drive paths can be what you want them to be. Map them as /c /d etc, and it's no different from c: d: etc. That a drive is mounted as a folder in the file system is just a fact of life on Linux, just as Windows uses drive letters. There's no getting around that and if that's an immediate deal-breaker then you're stuck with Windows unfortunately.

Use
-

Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #21
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.

The point-and-click functionality comes more from what Linux people refer to as the desktop environment than "Linux" itself. As KDE and GNOME (the two primary desktop environments) become more sophisticated, Linux user-friendliness gets closer to what the average computer user has grown to expect. We have discussed a number of "favorite" distributions in this thread (and I am still completely happy with Fedora 8 after 5 months of use), and most of them are approaching to this ideal, although realistically none of them is as intuitive as Windows XP yet. I have hopes for KDE 4 (now released), but have not yet checked it. I plan to in openSUSE 11.0 or Fedora 9 when they are released in a few months.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #22
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Cogar, you should take the Kubuntu 8.04 "KDE 4 Remix" beta for a spin. It looks mighty nice in the screenies I've seen.

Use
-

Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #23
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Hi kONGO, thank you for the recommendation. Isn't Kubuntu 8.04 considered alpha? If so, I probably won't look at it until it goes gold. The reason is that unlike many of you, I did not enjoy either Ubuntu or Kubuntu 7.10. It has been months now, but I recall having problems getting updates to work properly and also had some networking issues. (I originally installed Kubuntu, and when that didn't work, I converted to Ubuntu. It worked better, but not perfectly. It is pretty, though. ) Maybe it was just me, but I didn't have any issues with Fedora, so I just quit using the Ubuntus and openSUSE. (I still have them on my computer--I just haven't fired them up in months. )
Old 04-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #24
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogar View Post
Hi kONGO, thank you for the recommendation. Isn't Kubuntu 8.04 considered alpha? If so, I probably won't look at it until it goes gold. The reason is that unlike many of you, I did not enjoy either Ubuntu or Kubuntu 7.10. It has been months now, but I recall having problems getting updates to work properly and also had some networking issues. (I originally installed Kubuntu, and when that didn't work, I converted to Ubuntu. It worked better, but not perfectly. It is pretty, though. ) Maybe it was just me, but I didn't have any issues with Fedora, so I just quit using the Ubuntus and openSUSE. (I still have them on my computer--I just haven't fired them up in months. )
It's beta now. And you can just boot the Live CD to take a gander. It should go final in a couple of weeks at the latest (8.04 implies April launch). Though KDE4 apparently isn't the default and doesn't get official Canonical support.

I've never tried Fedora. When I upgrade this summer I'll probably take a couple more distros for a spin to check them out.

Use
-

Old 04-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #25
yamawho
Linux user

I'm still running Linux Mint as my main distro on my kitchen PC.
In case some of you didn't know, Mint is based on Ubuntu ...

I started playing around with Mandriva 2008 before leaving on vacation and liked the gnome version. While I was away Mandriva released the final 2008.1 which fully supports the Asus Eee PC. so I installed 2008.1 on my 16GB SDHC class 6 Patriot card from my USB dvd-rom drive.

Had issues making partitions in manual ... ended up with 4GB ext3 Partition 1 for / and balance partition 5 ext3 for /home. I did not use swap since I have 1GB of ram.

It also installs the wireless on 1st boot.

Installed the samba client to have access to my windows network.

Takes longer to boot then original OS however but it really looks great

Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #26
XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0NG0 View Post
Software architecture and inner workings don't mean much to end users.
Absolutely nothing, Nada, zip, zero. Heck, when I get the least bit technical with our marketing guy I lose him in about 2 seconds.

In any case, I find Ubuntu to be pretty easy to use, stable, with an excellent update system.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #27
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

I updated the *ubuntu partitions on my computer and am currently running Kubuntu with KDE4 (64-bit). It has the "traditional" KDE functionality with a menu system like the modified one used in openSUSE for about a year now, but the graphics remind me more of GNOME. Although not included in the release, it is using Firefox 3 Beta 5 (as I write this) as the alternate browser to Konqueror (the default). The "desktop" version of the Kubuntu install disk did not work nicely for me, so I downloaded and installed using the "alternate install" version, which was fine. If anyone is interested, you can find the various ISOs for 8.04 with KDE4 here:
Kubuntu-KDE4 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

It is too early to recommend this new version (or KDE4 or Firefox 3), but my initial impression is that all are good.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
yamawho
Linux user

Liking ubuntu 8.04

Have it installed on 3 systems.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #29
BoWevil
Non-expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
Liking ubuntu 8.04

Have it installed on 3 systems.
Me too. I have it on 2 machines now.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #30
FlameGrilled

i dabbled with freespire for a while, went back to windows (vista) and now i use mandriva. seems fairly friendly. im not sure i like kde 4 though. im still a bit of a linux nub, so alot of things things confuse me.