ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
chuckbam
Personal Advocate

NET Framework 3.0: Turn Windows features on or off

I though I had NET Framework 3.0 installed in windows. But, a custom Side Bar program told me to install it. I did not think it would hurt anything.

It wants me to "Turn Windows features on or off"
Does it want me to Turn ALL Windows features on or off? One time I turned on all features thinking that would be good (except for Indexing) and I received some service errors. I really don't want to turn of all features, not even for one re-boot or installation. It just does not sound like a good Idea. I think they should not have that requirement.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...2009b1033.mspx

Then I read that you don't need to turn off all the features, just selected ones.
That did not work for me. Can anyone provide some information on this?

-----------------------------

4.13 FileNotFoundException Occurs When Running ServiceModelReg.exe on Windows Vista
On Windows Vista, ServiceModelReg.exe may fail with the following message:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Administration, Version=7.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

This is due to an incomplete installation of the Windows Activation Service (WAS). Ensure that all components of WAS are installed prior to running ServiceModelReg.exe. To do so, complete the following steps:

Open the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" dialog by clicking Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and clicking the "Turn Windows Features On or Off link."
In the tree view, select the "Windows Activation Service" checkbox.
Expand the "Windows Activation Service" checkbox and ensure the following sub-components are also selected:
- .NET Environment
- Configuration APIs
- Process Model
Click "OK" and wait for the components to finish installing.
Re-run ServiceModelReg.exe to register the WCF activation components with WAS.

These steps will install the minimal set of components required to support WCF service activation over non-HTTP protocols.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0
The following table shows the child elements included in the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 (NetFx3) package.

UI Name Command-Line Name
Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation
WCF-HTTP-Activation

Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation
WCF-NonHTTP-Activation

The UI Name column shows the name as it appears in Turn Windows features on or off in Control Panel. The Command-Line Name column shows the name used to enable or disable the package at a command prompt. The command-line name is case-sensitive.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

.NET Framework 3.0 Runtime Components Tester
This page will determine whether you have the .NET Framework 3.0 components installed or not. The .NET Framework 3.0 comprises of the Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF, previously codenamed “Avalon”) and the Windows Communications Foundation (WCF, previously codenamed “Indigo”). If you do not have the .NET Framework 3.0components, below are links to assist you in getting them.

If you have installed some components of the WinFX Runtime but want to install the new ones, you must uninstall the old ones first. Do this simply by downloading the Previous WinFX Uninstall Tool from the Microsoft website. Once you’ve uninstalled everything, download the .NET Framework 3.0 Components here but be warned that you need a genuine copy of Windows otherwise you cannot download it.

Windows Vista users - go to Start , Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows features on or off, scroll down and ensure there is a tick box in “Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0? then press OK. If it asks to restart, save your work then restart your computer - the effects will take place on the next logon.
Intel i7-4930K (Turbo 4.6 GHz), ASUS P9X79, Corsair Hydro Series H100i, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical (1866 @ 9-9-9-27 T2), EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB (Short Size), Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD, Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner, SeaSonic 750W 80 Plus Gold, Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Case.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]