ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 12-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
snark_abx

Question Installing AHCI drivers in an already installed XP?

Hi,

For several months, my system was set with the SATA ports in Compatible (IDE) mode. I didn't not need the advanced AHCI features and it was simpler to install XP (no drivers needed).

Now I have bought a new enclosure and an hot-swap hard disk box and I need to enable AHCI in the BIOS (Asus P5B-E motherboard).

When I set the SATA mode to AHCI, Windows cannot boot anymore, as it's lacking the drivers.

I've googled a lot and found tons of pages explaining how to use F6 at install time to install the drivers, or how to slipstream them in the XP install CD. However I cold not find how to do it afterwards, on an already installed XP.

My XP is running perfectly for several months, no bugs, with all my apps configured, all the right drivers installed, all kind of fancy UI defined, .... I really do not want to reinstall XP.

Does anybody have an idea about this? Thanks a lot!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
wonderwrench
ABXpert

Re: Installing AHCI drivers in an already installed XP?

Give this a try.
HOW TO switch from IDE to AHCI mode without having to reinstall Win XP (GUIDE)
Main Box*i7 930 @ 3.5 Ghz*Corsair H60*GA X58A-UD3R R2 FB bios*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD Green WD20EARS 2 TB*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*Corsair AX750 PSU*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

HTPC*Intel Q6600*MSI P35 Neo2-FR*4x2 gig Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800*AX5670 1GBD5-NS3H*WD Blue 320 gig*Samsung HD321KA 320 gig*Lite-On iHES208-08 BR combo drive* Corsair CMPSU-400CX*Win 7 pro 64 bit SP1

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
snark_abx

Thumbs up Re: Installing AHCI drivers in an already installed XP?

Waow, thanks!

In the meantime, I found this guide at Neowin, and the steps to do the switch are much more complex. I wonder why they make it so difficult, while the steps in the guide you're listing aren't.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
wonderwrench
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by snark_abx View Post
Waow, thanks!

In the meantime, I found this guide at Neowin, and the steps to do the switch are much more complex. I wonder why they make it so difficult, while the steps in the guide you're listing aren't.
That is strange. I have no personal experience with either. Good luck to you and let us know how it works out.

I'm just building a new rig using a P35 chipset and I'm trying to decide if I want to run in AHCI mode or IDE mode. I do not have a eSATA external drive and could care less about NCQ. I would be much easier to go IDE mode but if I ever want to use the 2 eSATA ports I'll be stuck.
Main Box*i7 930 @ 3.5 Ghz*Corsair H60*GA X58A-UD3R R2 FB bios*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD Green WD20EARS 2 TB*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*Corsair AX750 PSU*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

HTPC*Intel Q6600*MSI P35 Neo2-FR*4x2 gig Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800*AX5670 1GBD5-NS3H*WD Blue 320 gig*Samsung HD321KA 320 gig*Lite-On iHES208-08 BR combo drive* Corsair CMPSU-400CX*Win 7 pro 64 bit SP1

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
snark_abx

Wink Re: Installing AHCI drivers in an already installed XP?

Yes, it's easier to use IDE mode for the SATA ports and that's what I chose when I built my new PC.

But a few days ago, I bought an external HD enclosure that has eSATA and USB2 ports. It also comes with a nice rack that fits a 3.5" bay so you put the disk in it and it has SATA connectivity with the motherboard (check this out for more info). Very neat and convenient (USB2 everywhere, eSATA when the other computer is recent, SATA when I'm back at home).

That's why I need to set AHCI for my SATA ports: I need the hotplug capability so I can add and remove the disk when the computer is running.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
snark_abx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwrench View Post
I followed instructions on this website and it worked flawlessly! Now my SATA ports are configured in AHCI mode and my "good old XP" is working as usual.

Actually it seems it's running faster, but it's maybe purely psychological .

Thanks, wonderwrench!
Old 12-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #7
wonderwrench
ABXpert

Quote:
I followed instructions on this website and it worked flawlessly! Now my SATA ports are configured in AHCI mode and my "good old XP" is working as usual.

Actually it seems it's running faster, but it's maybe purely psychological .

Thanks, wonderwrench!
Great! thats good to know. BTW which instructions did you end up using?

Old 12-16-2007, 03:55 AM   #8
snark_abx

These ones:
I first switched to AHCI mode and no problems. Later, I used instructions on the page to switch to SATA RAID (even though I have only 1 disk).

RAID also supports AHCI and gives me the opportunity to switch to a RAID more easily in the future (actually, I ordered a new harddisk yesterday ).
Old 12-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
wonderwrench
ABXpert

Quote:
These ones:

I first switched to AHCI mode and no problems. Later, I used instructions on the page to switch to SATA RAID (even though I have only 1 disk).

RAID also supports AHCI and gives me the opportunity to switch to a RAID more easily in the future (actually, I ordered a new harddisk yesterday ).
I must have been up to late as I did not see the link in your first post.
Good info to know I ever want to switch.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #10
Drufuss

Hi, i just wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread.

When i switched from IDE hdd's to SATA hdd's i simply copied the partitions from one disk to another and used them in IDE mode.
After switching to the P5Q motherboard with its ICH10R chipset and eSATA port (on a bracket that you connect to one of the sata connectors) i thought about switching form IDE to AHCI. I think setting the controller to AHCI and AHCI driver support would be necessary to use eSATA hotplugging and of course it is just something i haven't tried before.

I didn't want to go through the hazzle of a complete new installation (i think it would be good for my system, i just don't wanted to invest the time) and also a Repair installation was out of question for me (again, too time consuming).

So i did some searching on the net and really found the simple solution i was looking for.

1.) Download the latest Intel chipset driver/software for your chipset and extract it's contents.
In my case this was iATA85CD.exe and i extracted its contents with "iATA85CD.exe -a" to c:\programs\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manger\winall\Driver.

2.) Go to Device Manger/Hardware, select the Intel SATA/IDE Host controller (i had two Intel SATA controllers in the list, a 2port and a 4port version), choose update drivers/selcet driver manually/have disk, select the path you extracted the intel files into and select your chipset (in my case Intel ICH10R SATA AHCI controler).
Windows XP warns you (driver not right, do not install) but choose install anyway.

3.) Reboot the system and change to AHCI in BIOS before it really boots.

XP booted from the drives in AHCI-mode without any problem and so i was able to install the Intel Matrix Storage software.

My system boots faster now, but i think this is mostly related to the defragmentation of my c:\ the day before.

Greetings

Dru
4 x 8GB DDR3-Ram PC3-2400 Kingston Beast XMP
3 x Samsung 840 EvoO 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming (watercooled)
Soundblaster ZxR, Hauppauge HVR4400 DVB-T/S2, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Platimax 750W
Pump: Laing DDC2
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra 3 420
Case: Cooltek Antiphon
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..äh... RulEd!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #11
xa0s

Guys, I want to thank you for your help but i am still stuck

I am using ep43-ds3l motherbaord Gigabyte.

All your steps covers alot but not one thing, WHERE DO I DOWNLOAD THE DRIVERS? which driver do i use? i was using the FDD disc F6 drivers(the one you get from intel site to use for while installing windows) and when directing the driver update to that INF file, it shows a list of more than 5 drivers, NO IDEA WHICH ONE.

Please do a TOP TO BOTTOM step by step on how to obtain these files and install while having windows already installed.... TY

XP PRO.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Drufuss

Hi xa0s!

It depends on your hardware.

When you look at the name of the Intel SATA/IDE Host controller (in device manager) that you want to upgrade with AHCI-drivers, the driver you choose should have nearly the same name except some AHCI part.

Greetings

Dru

P.S.: Maybe you can post the names in device manager and the various drivers you can choose from.
4 x 8GB DDR3-Ram PC3-2400 Kingston Beast XMP
3 x Samsung 840 EvoO 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming (watercooled)
Soundblaster ZxR, Hauppauge HVR4400 DVB-T/S2, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Platimax 750W
Pump: Laing DDC2
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra 3 420
Case: Cooltek Antiphon
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..äh... RulEd!

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Darr247

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwrench View Post
Give this a try.
HOW TO switch from IDE to AHCI mode without having to reinstall Win XP (GUIDE)
Thanks to this loser forum software, I can't even quote the bad link.

But for those getting a 404 on that, change
"forum" to "forum-en"
and drop the ".tw" making .com the top level domain.

To post the entire link I would have to make 10 bullsheet posts to get my quota, so deal with it.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darr247 View Post
Thanks to this loser forum software, I can't even quote the bad link.

But for those getting a 404 on that, change
"forum" to "forum-en"
and drop the ".tw" making .com the top level domain.

To post the entire link I would have to make 10 bullsheet posts to get my quota, so deal with it.
An alternative to the "10 bullsheet posts" would have been to include in your post a request for a moderator to convert the revised url to a hyperlink.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=106575.0

Regards,
-- Al
Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
WolfSoul

On a 3 to 5 year old thread...?
Either way before I saw the date.. here's another one I wanted to post Enabling SATA mode to AHCI after XP Install (applicable to most laptops, or systems)
LG BH10LS38 BluRay Burner - Plextor PX-L890SA DVD Burner
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champion - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF OC 2GB
Dell U2412M - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround System - Creative Tactic3D Wrath
Logitech G19 Gaming keyboard - Logitech G9X laser Gaming Mouse