ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 12-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

What is Silverlight?----and Why Do I Care????

What is Silverlight?----and Why Do I Care????

the greatest thing since popcorn....

Or another meaningless "term" from MS....
Corsair H-100 Water Cooler
32 GB Corsair Devastator 1600 DDR
120 GB Crucial SATA III SSD
2TB WD Cavier Black SATA III
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner
Coolermaster Silent 850 Modular PSU
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Case
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
ATINUT
Just Plain Crazy!

Re: What is Silverlight?----and Why Do I Care????

Don't know and don't care, as I will probably never use what every Silverlight is.
Intel D975XBX2 Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 8GB's of Mushkin HP2 6400 memory(DDR2 800) two Sapphire GDDR4 Radeon 3870 videocards HT Omega Claro(Cmedia 8788HD chip) 120GB&200GB&320GB Western Digital harddrives LG DVDROM & LG DVDBURNER HP Deskjet 920C Logitech X-540 speakers Viewsonic VG2030wm 20inch Widescreen LCD Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit with Service Pack 1

Who'se the fool that approved the design for this place. - The Dwarf, Sacred Underworld.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
PeterT
CUSL2 > Sabertooth Z87

I installed the beta on xp just for the hell of it and then windows update wouldn't work. I uninstalled it and windows update worked again.
Z87, i7-4770K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Antec SOLO II, Corsair TX650M, Asus ROG Crossblade Ranger, AMD A10-7890K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP 2GB,

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Antec SOLO, Corsair TX650, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Intel Q9550, 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800,
EVGA GTX560Ti SC 1GB, Asus U3S6, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
Mobile:
Acer Aspire V5-552G-x852, AMD A10-5757M, Radeon 8750M 2GB, 2x4GB DDR3,
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419, AMD A10-4600M, Radeon 7670M 2GB, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD

Asus Eee PC 1215B-PU17, AMD E-350, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Old 12-29-2007, 05:51 AM   #4
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

It's "Microsoft Flash".

With the weight MS is throwing behind the technology, you may have to install it sooner or later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
Old 12-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

but we already have flash.
Cant they do something different, innovative, rather than re-inventing the wheel?
And anyway, what can flash do that Java cant?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 12-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.

Well, they aren't the only ones "reinventing" it. The open source folks have developed "Gnash." Microsoft's reason is that they want to take over the market (big surprise). The GNU Project folks (Free Software Foundation) want to distance themselves from proprietary software, even if it is free.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

OK---I get it.....

So now----ANY and EVERY Microsoft site in the world that you visit will have some neat AV stuff on it----but you will only be able to see it with Silverlight as Flash will no longer work on those files.....

Capitalism.....

Gotta love it.....
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 12-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Yeah, it's not a Flash runtime, like Gnash, it's spiritually the same thing. Only using C# as the language and with all sorts of other things. Rich Embedded Applications or whatever the hell they're going to call it.

Basically, if you're a serious web developer and not a corporate stooge you'll use HTML+CSS+JavaScript instead and build for the web, not for plug-ins. (Yes, if you build Flash websites you should be flogged and possibly even keelhauled.)

Use
-

Old 12-30-2007, 06:05 AM   #9
S.SubZero
Vista x64 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
OK---I get it.....

So now----ANY and EVERY Microsoft site in the world that you visit will have some neat AV stuff on it----but you will only be able to see it with Silverlight as Flash will no longer work on those files.....

Capitalism.....

Gotta love it.....
Are you saying Microsoft should not be allowed to invent their own way of doing things?

Seems nobody ever has a problem when someone duplicates Microsoft's products.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:08 AM   #10
S.SubZero
Vista x64 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
OK---I get it.....

Capitalism.....

Gotta love it.....
Are you saying Microsoft should not be allowed to invent their own way of doing things?

If it helps you sleep, Silverlight is apparently not 64-bit, so it won't work in 64-bit browsers, and therefore is useless to me. Like Flash.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post

If it helps you sleep, Silverlight is apparently not 64-bit, so it won't work in 64-bit browsers, and therefore is useless to me. Like Flash.
Not at all....I think you misinterpreted my meaning....

I love capitalism and it's freewheeling ways....

Competition is EVERYTHING...

Forces innovation and keeps prices resonable....

Sometimes the consumer has to deal with a blizzard of different "standards" because of it-----but in the end---it turns out better for the common Joe. (Me).....

I was just making fun of what is going to happen......

And it WILL happen.....Microsoft is too smart and too big to let a possible revenue stream go unchallenged....

Of course there was/is the Vista fiasco....

But then again----all 7 of my owned computers run Vista so what does that say about me......
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0NG0 View Post
Basically, if you're a serious web developer and not a corporate stooge you'll use HTML+CSS+JavaScript instead and build for the web, not for plug-ins. (Yes, if you build Flash websites you should be flogged and possibly even keelhauled.)
Purist!!!

I'm happy to be a corporate stooge, so long as it pays better to be so...
Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ. View Post
Purist!!!

I'm happy to be a corporate stooge, so long as it pays better to be so...
Hehe... You betcha.

On intranets I don't care one bit. And if you have to do it to keep food on the table, sure. I'm not against people, y'know, living.

But on the Internet, if you build sites that require plug-ins when you don't need to, then it ticks me off. Like with Flash, you can't bookmark a page within a flash site. So it basically breaks the Internet. Yay.

Use
-

Old 07-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #14
losdo

Silverlight is a new cross-browser, cross-platform implementation of the .NET Framework for building and delivering the next generation of media experiences and Rich Interactive Applications(RIA) for the web. It runs in all popular browsers, including Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Opera. The plugin required to run Silverlight is very small in size hence gets installed very quickly.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
steven

Silverlight was supposed to be microsoft's Flash. It's a VERY powerful tool that lets you built c#-driven objects into webpages, which means you can easily program games, media players, or even interactive ads. It was supposed to make everyone suddenly want to program in c# , and use microsoft tools, and forget about html5. For some reason, people are very reluctant to use microsoft tools, and so, microsoft's plant to web domination must be revised.

Intel Core i7-960 3.2-3.4Ghz Processor
Innovation Cooling IC Diamond 24 Carat for CPU + GPU
8GB 1333Mhz RAM (2x 4GB Configuration)
500GB 7200rpm Seagate Hard Disk
nVidia Geforce GTX560M 1.5GB GDDR5