ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Question Virtualizing Vista (how Intella got her groove back)

With my new computer being fast enough for virtualization, I've been pondering the OS issue. I've used Linux almost exclusively for almost 18 months now, and I can't say I miss Windows all that much. But there are times when there might be a real need, and I may want to do some Windows development, which is hard on Linux.

So, does anyone have experience virtualizing Vista from within Linux? Using Xen or VMWare or KVM or whatever. How much of a performance hit does it incur, does 64-bit work OK etc.

I'd really love it if I didn't have to install Vista on its own partition. I'll probably set aside 15GB or so just in case, but I'd be very happy to virtualize it and just have Linux installed on the HDD.

Thoughts, points, dancing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
S.SubZero
Vista x64 User

Re: Virtualizing Vista (how Intella got her groove back)

Virtualbox handles Vista as a virtual machine just fine. Being in a VM kind of defeats the eye candy, since it can't do Aero. Vista is also quite large and has hefty resource demands for a virtual machine. 15GB.. Vista itself uses close to that much. If you really want Windows in a VM, I recommend XP. It is much more forgiving on resource and disk space needs.

Virtualbox cannot do 64-bit guests, yet. VMWare can, but when I tried XP64 as a guest several months ago it didn't run very well. I would not have been able to use it for any kind of actual work.