ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Drufuss

openSuse 11.0, smooth but not flawless.

Hi there!

Recently i installed openSuse 11.0 on my rig and to my surprise some things are working better than with previous version, some are not.

First of all i have to answer the "what exactly did he install?" question. openSuse 64-bit with gnome
I did let the installer install all the software that was automatically selected plus some extras that might be nice to have later on (i always see that createrepo, smart, opera, etc. is installed for example and everything that's listed in the readme for the ati driver installer).

First thing i did after booting the installed system for the first time was to start the ati-installer script (in a terminal window, as user root). I selected "generate distribution specific package", and so it made a nice ati-8.7-suse11.0 rpm package (checked the ati.log file in /usr/share if there was any problem).
Then copied the file into a directory called "update" on my porable hdd, where i keep all the rpm's i already downloaded from the suse 11.0 update ftp-site (and from other repositories like madwifi, etc. etc.)
After i made a repository out of that with "createrepo /media/my-portable-hdd-name/update" i used yast to add it as installation source.
With yasts un/install software function i then installed the latest madwifi and madwifi kernel modules for my kernel and the fglrx-driver from ati.
After running "aticonfig --initial" and a reboot a had hardware 3d-accelaration and enjoyed the nice 3d-effects compiz provides for your desktop.
W-lan did'nt do anything before i blacklisted the ath5k module so madwifi could do his work and provide a nice ath0 device that i was able to configure with my ESSID, WEP-key, etc. etc.
Now the w-lan conneciton to my ISDN-router/modem is working, i can connect to the router, but somehow i can't acces the internet. I tried everything i could think of (ipv6, firewall, proxie, etc.) but i can only visit my router and nothing else. And somehow the "network status" application is telling my a strange ip-address, completely different to that i have setup with yast and see with iwconfig.

And i have no sound! But after some "googling" (in win xp) i found out that 11.0 seems to have the same surprise for Audigy 2 card user like an older version had. You have to disable the digital output in the mixer to get analog sound.

That's it so far about my trip to opensuse 11.0. I may write more as i stumble upon more problems (or maybe solve some) and i'd be very happy about any suggestions regarding my w-lan and internet troubles.

Greetings

Dru
4 x 8GB DDR3-Ram PC3-2400 Kingston Beast XMP
3 x Samsung 840 EvoO 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming (watercooled)
Soundblaster ZxR, Hauppauge HVR4400 DVB-T/S2, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Platimax 750W
Pump: Laing DDC2
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra 3 420
Case: Cooltek Antiphon
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..äh... RulEd!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
yamawho
Linux user

Re: openSuse 11.0, smooth but not flawless.

I did give the Open SuSe 11 gnome live cd a quick look when it came out but decided not to install it. I have been using Mint 4 since it came out but since Ubuntu 8.04, I have stuck with Ubuntu ... it has really grown on me.

Lately I have been playing around with Vista 64 bit on my kid's systems.
Having spent a small fortune on 2 system upgrades, I wanted directx10 access.
Having waited this long before taking the plunge may have paid off, nothing to report except for some tweaking when it comes to installing and playing some games.

I do not plan to use Vista myself in the near future. I'm fine running Ubuntu and XP.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.

Although I generally like to have versions of the latest releases, I skipped both Fedora 9 and openSUSE 11.0, since both were a little "weak." I am looking forward to 11.1, though. The problem with the sound is a deal-killer for me, and openSUSE has been weak in that area since (and including) version 10.3 (at least on the three computers on which I tend to run openSUSE).
Old 08-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Drufuss

Heureka!

Disabled the digital output of the Audigy card (you have to "enable" the switch for this in the volume control panel first) and there is sound!

Removed and reconfigured my network connections and restarted my ISDN-router/modem (this was at least half of my problem) and now i'm online!

I start loving this version of Suse linux (and i laready love compiz).

Greetings

Dru
Enermax Platimax 750W

Old 08-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
S.SubZero
Vista x64 User

I just tried 64-bit OpenSUSE 11 on my spare laptop (Dell Inspiron E1705) and was reminded about all the reasons I don't use Linux. I spent the last four hours banging around with it, and bailed out of frustration. I finally got spinny cube desktops and wobbly windows working at the end, but then it started getting flaky with the mouse not being able to figure out where I was clicking.

The best/worst part was my wireless. I have a Broadcom wireless-n chip in this laptop, and while Linux *has* a driver, and *installs* the driver, the driver.. doesn't work. Took some creative Googleing to find a link explaining that the wireless-n driver just.. "doesn't work yet". They could not explain this in a popup during the install?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
Drufuss

Now that my wireless connection works (it was a bumpy road, but not too hard), working audio (and old, unnecessary flaw but easy to solve once you know it) and working hardware 3d (just run the file from ati, everything works) i'm very happy with it.

The software-installation/update feature works flawless, and adding additonal repositories is easy. I haven't tried the "one-click-install" features from the opensuse website,but may do so as soon as i get broadband connection(by the end of the month my isdn is gone and i'll highspeedsurf the net).

Only "problem" i still have is watching dvd's/videos. Discs are recognized, menu and features are available, only playback is kinda "flickering". But this seems to be related to compiz in some way. Didn't have the time to really test this so far.

Greetings

Dru
Enermax Platimax 750W

Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
Drufuss

Gee, new installation, new problems.

Everything seemed to run fine after i replaced the G520 with a G510 network card (supported by the kernel, you only need to install firmware files), but now i killed my installation by switching the hdd's to AHCI.

Made a new install of the system and everything ran fine until the first time to login.
Whenever i try to login (be it as user or as root) a small popup windows tells me "legitimation failed".
The curious thing is this:
When i enter a wrong username or password, the status line beneath the login box says "legitimation failed" and something about username and password being case sensitive.
When i enter the correct username and password, i get this little pop-up windows that says "legitimation failed". So i kinda get past login, but not really.
Already tried to delete the password for the /etc/shadow file via the rescue console, but that didn't help. (Tried to follow instructions to change the password as described in the suse-sdb but that didn't work cause of a missing directory to properly use the passwd command.)

Any ideas what the cause of my problem may be, or what i can try to do about it?

Greetings

Dru
Enermax Platimax 750W

Old 10-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
Drufuss

Did i fresh install (this time with only the standard software packages recommended by the installer) and everything worked as expected.

After copying the Ralink firmware files (for the dLink DWL-G510 Ver.C card) and configuring the card with YAST i was able to connect to my ADSL router, surf the net, update everything (with some additional repositories enabled).
Installed latest Ati driver (the installer worked flawless) and disabled the optical output for the audgiy card so now i have hardware accelerated openGL 3d and sound.

What else do i need?
Well, wine has been installed but not properly configured so far, and also some games that can be run in linux are still missing. (Steam, Doom3, etc. etc.)

Greetings

Dru

P.S.: I installed Wine via the One-Click-Install Icon on the opensuse webpage. Smooth!
Enermax Platimax 750W

Last edited by Drufuss; 10-14-2008 at 11:24 AM..
Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

I see that they just announced the release of openSUSE 11.1 Beta 3 today. It looks like the final release will occur before long--perhaps in early November. I am looking forward to taking a closer look at it then.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
FearFactory
The FC.Porto dragon!

Final OpenSuse 11.1 is out tomorrow
AMD Phenom II X2 555BE 3.2Ghz AM3 (OC x4 3.7Ghz),CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus, Asus M5A99X Evo , 2x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance, VGA PowerColor HD6950 2GB DDR5, Asus DVDRW, Seagate 2TB SATA, Seagate 500 SATA, PSU Nox Hummer M 650W, Asus ML239 23' IPS
Old 12-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Yup--it's out now.

openSUSE News » openSUSE 11.1 Released!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
FearFactory
The FC.Porto dragon!

Downloading now
AMD Phenom II X2 555BE 3.2Ghz AM3 (OC x4 3.7Ghz),CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus, Asus M5A99X Evo , 2x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance, VGA PowerColor HD6950 2GB DDR5, Asus DVDRW, Seagate 2TB SATA, Seagate 500 SATA, PSU Nox Hummer M 650W, Asus ML239 23' IPS
Old 12-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

I'm posting this with openSUSE 11.1 using the new KDE4 desktop. I was pleased to see that the wireless network setup has been much improved--I might even say that it is the best they have ever had--and SUSE has traditionally had easier wireless setup (especially with the WPA variants) than other Linux distributions (not counting releases 10.1 through 10.3). It is going to take me a little while to get all the little OS details set up the way I like them, but it was a relatively easy install and the system has been usable and stable from first boot.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
FearFactory
The FC.Porto dragon!

Hello Cogar, if you get the same problems i got, please tell me